Single Action Grip Frames Explained

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
All New model XR3 'size' grip frames are either blued steel or stainless steel and they are the same size, and they have different casting numbers on them. When speaking of new models, XR3 only references their size as the same as the old model #XR3. All old model XR3 grip frames are aluminum alloy and their actual casting # is XR3.

Ruger grip frame by model application and casting numbers:

All GRIP FRAME IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS (Founder's Marks) CAST INTO GRIP FRAMES (N/A to Bearcat)
Note: for convenience, NM frames in the two most common sizes are often referred to as XR3 'SIZE' or XR3-RED 'SIZE' but they have their own Casting numbers.

BLUE STEEL and ALLOY NM:
Small steel (OM #XR3 size) 1/8" closer to trigger guard than XR3-RED size, (cut for indexing pawl system, no extensions into main frame & only 7/16" thick) = A (in a square), no other marking observed; w & w/o lock. New Vaq w/o lock has a 512 prefix serial #
Large steel (OM #XR3-RED size): Early = A (in a square) XR-3 (that's XR dash 3), Late = A & T in separate 1/8" circles
Large alloy (OM #XR3-RED size) w/o lock: Early = NXR3-RED, Late = XRN-3RED. With lock = XR & L
Short steel 'Vaquerito' .32s = A (in a square) XR-3. If ordered as a separate part = 302 A (in a square) 3/16" shorter in length than the XR3 and XR3-RED sizes
SBH = No marking on Dragoon frames (1/4" longer than standard grip). Large round guard steel frames supplied on all barrel lengths less than 7 ½" (Old Model #XR3-RED size) = same as Large steel above marking
Birdshead** = # in circle, MR00307, A in circle

STAINLESS NM:
Small, (XR3 size) 1/8" shorter horizontally behind the trigger guard (cut for indexing pawl system, no extensions into main frame & only 7/16" thick = K (in circle); w & w/o lock
Large (OM #XR3-RED size): Earliest = KXR-3*, Next = KXR-3 with a separate N, Late = K (in circle) XRN-3, most current = no markings
Short 'Vaquerito' .32s = KXR-3* 3/16" shorter in length than the XR3 and XR3-RED sizes
SBH Hunter = KHRN 3 (Dragoon length but with a round trigger guard)
SBH = No marking on Dragoon frames (1/4" longer than standard grip). Large round guard steel frames supplied on all barrel lengths less than 7 ½" (Old Model #XR3-RED size) = same as Large above marking
Birdshead** = # K in circle, MR00307

BLUE STEEL and ALLOY OM:

Small alloy = XR3, original style to 1962, 1/8" closer to trigger guard than large size
Large alloy = XR3-RED, (part # SS3), new style in 1962 to 1972, also used on Pre 1985 Old Army alloy w/narrow trig slot, and on Hawkeye alloy w/wide trigger slot
SBH = steel dragoon, sq back trigger guard (1/4" longer than standard grip) no marking; Early 'long frame' 5/32" longer than later dragoon marked with C (only 300 made)
Old Army steel (OM XR3-RED size) = XRN-3 beginning 1985 with wide trigger slot and is the only OM GF in carbon steel other than the SBH.

STAINLESS OM
Old Army only: Large (OM XR3-RED size) = KXR-3*

*Note: same # KXR-3 used on two different frames: earliest NM SS XR3-RED size and OM SS Old Army XR3-RED size, because based on how they are machined, they can be used for either application.
**Birdsheads supplied on New Vaqueros cut for free spin pawl system and have no extensions into main frame, but are interchangeable to all models.

BRASS FRAMES OM only:
Marked "MR-3DB." = Super Blackhawk Brass "Dragoon" style with square back trigger guard. Same dimensions as 1959 Super Blackhawk. Initially for Super Blackhawks only, then shipped on various Blackhawks, majority in 1972.

"A way to check to see if a Super Blackhawk left the factory with a brass grip frame or a steel grip frame if you are convinced the gun has the original factory blue finish. Guns made with a steel grip frame had the frame attached to the gun and match polished to the sides of the cylinder frame before going into the bluing tanks. So when the grip frame is off, there will be large swaths of "white" metal on the underside of the frame and grip frame. If the gun was originally made with a brass grip frame, then the underside of the cylinder frame will be blue." Chet15

caryc

Hawkeye
P89DC said:
Thanks, Cary! I know about the square but there's so much over-lapping nomenclature I wanted to be sure. With your explaination the listing are clear now. Except what's with XR3 blued vs stainless?

I think I'll buy the Eagle grips, they're not finished and require final fitting.

I've been making grips for around 12 years now and I've never asked a customer what is marked on their grip frame. Ruger just puts that crap there to confuse people. On your question above in RED, the difference is that one is stainless and one is blued. Both are steel.

Ruger came out with the first XR3 plow handle style grip frame on their Single Six in 1953. It was an aluminum frame and was used until 1963 when the redesigned it into the larger XR3-RED grip frame.

The XR3-RED profile grip is still used today on the Blackhawk and Single Six. In 2005 when Ruger came out with the "New Vaquero", they brought back the smaller XR3 grip frame only they made it in carbon steel and stainless steel this time. There is also one other major difference. The made it 7/16" in width to try and emulate the Colt grip frames. All Ruger's other plow handle grip frames are still 1/2" in width. As far as I know Ruger has used the new XR3 grip frames on all the flattops it produces.

If your grip frame is 7/16" in width it is most definitely the new XR3. I hope this clears it up for you.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Some of the grip makers make a distinction between stainless and blue steel XRE grip frames not because they're muddled up, but because although they are the same grip frame, in actuality the stainless grip frames do tend to run slightly larger in outline. In my experience, and apparently theirs, it's a factory hand finishing issue rather than a design difference. So if the maker does distinguish, order accordingly.

You're very welcome. My posts are usually written for all readers in general, especially in this particular thread so those who want all the detail and a full understanding will have it. And/or save for future reference if they may have additional confusion. I can't think of a thread subject more prolific than Ruger's confusing grip frames.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
caryc said:
I've been making grips for around 12 years now and I've never asked a customer what is marked on their grip frame. Ruger just puts that crap there to confuse people.

There is also one other major difference. The made it 7/16" in width to try and emulate the Colt grip frames. All Ruger's other plow handle grip frames are still 1/2" in width.

As far as I know Ruger has used the new XR3 grip frames on all the flattops it produces.

Actually the founders marks are for employees rather than customers. It's a way to tell the difference between SS and carbon steel before bluing and the different applications for assembly. Ruger uses part numbers for their customers.

Colt grip frames are 1/2" in width. The 7/16" width is in response to cowboy shooter market demand for thinner 'handles' so both the grip frames and the grips were made thinner for that market.

You're correct in addition to the New Vaqueros, the XR3 size grip frames are supplied on all new model Flat Top Blackhawks, on both the mid size and large size main frames.

caryc

Hawkeye
P89DC said:
It's clear now, Cary, thanks! Some of the gripmakers make a distinction between stainless and blue XR3 gripframes but after learning from you I expect they have the different gripframes muddled up.

Hondo, thanks for trying to edjucate me but that post has my eyes rolling back. The non-custom grip market is mostly clueless about the mid-sized flattop's relationship to the New Vaquero, all I needed to know is the New Vaquero gripframe is the same as the new flattop.

Let the shopping commence!

Hondo does indeed have a lot of knowledge on the Ruger grip frames. One can never have too much info on them.

There is a very big difference in size on Ruger's carbon steel and stainless steel Bisley grip frames. The stainless ones are larger around the top of the grip. In my years of grip making I would not even make a pair of Bisley grips unless the customer sent me his grip frame for fitting.

caryc

Hawkeye
All the new flattops so far have had the new steel XR3 grip frame. That first new steel XR3 first appeared in 2005 on the "New Vaquero".

edlmann

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
Old Army steel (OM XR3-RED size) = XRN-3 beginning 1985 with wide trigger slot and is the only OM GF in carbon steel other than the SBH.
Photo:

Tj5iFSl.jpg

Example shown has never been installed.

caryc

Hawkeye
All you need to tell anybody is that it's an XR3-RED style frame. It won't make any difference on the gun.

I made and sold Ruger single action grip frames for ten years. I never paid any attention to the marks Ruger put on them. They just put them their to confuse people.

bpimwheel

Bearcat
So there appears to be two XR3 grip frames now. At least as I understand it.
My 1970 OM Blackhawk in 41 Mag (aluminum) is marked XR3 and the New Vaquero's also have the XR3 grip frame. It appears, as Im told, the only difference is that the guide pin location has been off set on the newer XR3 frames.
If this is not correct please let me.
I've been trying to find a set of grip panels for the 41 and am having quite a bit of trouble.

Last edited:
Unless someone has changed the grip frame on your 1970 .41 Mag Blackhawk it would have come from the factory with an XR3-RED grip frame. Your comment about the OM XR3 vs the NM XR3 in early cases seems to be correct, locater pin hole difference fixed and grips would usually swap out. I do not know about more current ones and never tried any to see if that was the only difference. Maybe someone else has and will chime in.
FT44/Bill

Latest posts