Single Action Grip Frames Explained

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mohillbilly

Bearcat
There were a few single sixes made in .32 H&R that had a shorter than normal grip frame. I can't be for sure the ones I saw were in stainless ,don't remember if there were any blue ones .... I do know that a standard plow handle frame would fit the gun frame as well .....

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Actually, the majority of the Vaquero style .32 single six magnums came with the short grip frames while only 500 blue and 500 stainless guns came with the standard length grip frames.

And true, the two sizes of grip frames do interchange.

Voodoosan

Bearcat
I am still confused about the frame of my gun, I have the Super Blackhawk Talo 3.75 in 44. The frame is stamped "New Model Super Blackhawk". For example if I wanted to or a set of Hogue Rubber grips.....what do I order? On Hogues site it says the grips will fit a New Model Blackhawn but doesnt say New Model SUPER Blackhawk. I am confused.

Easy way is go to the 1st page of this thread, scroll down to 11th post by "Caryc". Look at his 3" square, draw you one just like it and lay your grip panel on it....wala, you can see what you have.
Bill

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Voodoosan,

The SBHs with barrels lengths of 5 1/2" or less came with the standard XR3-RED 'size' grip frame which is the same as the standard Blackhawk. Therefore the Hogue grips for a New Model Blackhawk are correct for your Talo SBH.

Voodoosan

Bearcat
Ok I tried Hogue 83000 & 84000 on my Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk 3.75 TALO. Neither one fit. The 83000 shows it fits XR3-RED and various other but NOT a plain no dash XR3 frame. So could my Talo be a KXR3? At this point I am beyond frustrated. Plus when I pulled my grips off there is no designation on the frame. So I have no idea at this point. But I know buying and returning grips is something I am tired of doing.

At this point I think it just has to wear the factory grips.

caryc

Hawkeye
Voodoosan said:
Ok I tried Hogue 83000 & 84000 on my Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk 3.75 TALO. Neither one fit. The 83000 shows it fits XR3-RED and various other but NOT a plain no dash XR3 frame. So could my Talo be a KXR3? At this point I am beyond frustrated. Plus when I pulled my grips off there is no designation on the frame. So I have no idea at this point. But I know buying and returning grips is something I am tired of doing.

At this point I think it just has to wear the factory grips.

Did you actually draw a three inch square and place one of your stock Ruger grips in it? Using my drawing below how does your grip panel fit in it?

F-gripsquare3.jpg

Voodoosan

Bearcat
It looks like the XR3-RED. the frames backstrap has that slight curve and its not straight like in the XR3.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes, the XR3-RED is the right grip frame for the Talo SBH. There's no other grip frame except the XR3 size that would be shorter to fit the Hogues. I've heard of this problem before the more I think about it. I wonder if Hogue has a mix up of their grips!

According to their online catalog, the #83000 rubber monogrip should be the correct grip for your grip frame, the XR3-RED size frame. The 84000 on their website is clearly for the Dragoon size grip frame, with round or sq. back trigger guard.

Is there any way possible that the rubber monogrip is not sliding up into place properly??? They can be difficult to install.

caryc

Hawkeye
OK, you have the XR3-RED grip profile. Evidently you're trying to use those big rubber grips on your gun. I'm sorry, I can't help you with that. All you can do is tell the people at Hogue that you have the XR3-RED profile grip that is the same thing as the regular Blackhawk.

If the grips don't fit then the problem is with Hogue. You are not the first one I've heard of complaining that they can't get those Hogue grips to fit their gun. In fact, it's actually quite a few.

All I can do is wish you luck.

Voodoosan

Bearcat
yes I did check to make sure I had them on properly. And thats what I put on was the #83000 and they didnt fit. The package said the Hogue 83000 fits the XR3-RED. So who knows. I just declared defeat and put the original grips back on :)

caryc

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
Yeah, let Hogue know, if you haven't already. Maybe they can make it right or at least refund you. Sounds like they have old stock for the XR3 grip frames mis-packaged!

Old stock? Ruger hasn't made the XR3 grip frame for 52 years. I doubt Hogue was making those rubber grips then.

I don't think they made any rubber grips for the new XR3 either.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
They did make them in rubber for the pre 1963 XR3 much more recent than 52 years, we used to sell them.
Based on our OP's and other's experience, they may still be using the old (wrong) mould, hence the problem with fit.

And they STILL list regular grips for the 52 yr old XR3 and new XR3:
http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=27_702_703

But they don't differentiate between the two: they must drill both locating pin holes, although they still won't properly fit both old and new, as we all know, they're not the same shape!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Voodoosan said:
yes I did check to make sure I had them on properly. And thats what I put on was the #83000 and they didnt fit. The package said the Hogue 83000 fits the XR3-RED. So who knows. I just declared defeat and put the original grips back on :)

These same grips are sold by Brownells for $15.90 and here are the instructions from their website:
"Putting this [rubber # 83000] grip on a NM Ruger Blackhawk almost requires 3 hands.

1. It's extremely tight; using 2 credit cards or plastic shim on the sides because the rubber catches on the grip frame and won't allow the frame to slide in. Maybe lubrication might help.

2. The screw anchor at the bottom of the frame scratches the hell out of the anodized aluminum frame. Of course once it's installed you won't see the scratches.

3. On the plus side it makes the revolver easier to control. Recommend only if the above doesn't matter to you."

Hope this helps,

LSCG

Buckeye
Question for Hondo44 or anyone else, what size grip frame comes on the newer flattop Blackhawk 44spl's?

I've heard a few people say it's the new XR3 like what's on the new Vaqueros but I thought that just the 50th anniversary flattops had them.

caryc

Hawkeye
LSCG said:
Question for Hondo44 or anyone else, what size grip frame comes on the newer flattop Blackhawk 44spl's?

I've heard a few people say it's the new XR3 like what's on the new Vaqueros but I thought that just the 50th anniversary flattops had them.

All the new flattops have the new steel XR3 as do the New Vaqueros.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
I seached the web and this thread but it's still not clear to me.

- Is my Lipseys Flattop 357/9mm model 5245 gripframe the same as the New Vaquero gripframe?

- Lipseys says my 5245's grip frame is XR-3 and the New Vaquero model 5109 gripframe is "pre-1962 XR-3" are those the same?

Thanks, I'm totally confused. I don't want to send out my gripframe, at this time I want to buy something cheap.

caryc

Hawkeye
P89DC said:
I seached the web and this thread but it's still not clear to me.

- Is my Lipseys Flattop 357/9mm model 5245 gripframe the same as the New Vaquero gripframe?

- Lipseys says my 5245's grip frame is XR-3 and the New Vaquero model 5109 gripframe is "pre-1962 XR-3" are those the same?

Thanks, I'm totally confused. I don't want to send out my gripframe, at this time I want to buy something cheap.

All the newly produced flattops have the new steel version of the old XR3 grip frame.

It's the same as the "New Vaquero" grip frame that came out in 2005.

Take a look at the drawings below. Draw yourself a 3 inch square and see how one of your grip panels fits in it. you can also tell the XR3 from the XR3-RED profile because the XR3 has the straight back strap where the XR3-RED profile back straps flair out at the bottom.

F-gripsquare3.jpg

XR3-XR3-RED.jpg