RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:35 pm 
Hawkeye

Voodoosan wrote:
Hondo44 wrote:
Voodoosan,

The SBHs with barrels lengths of 5 1/2" or less came with the standard XR3-RED 'size' grip frame which is the same as the standard Blackhawk. Therefore the Hogue grips for a New Model Blackhawk are correct for your Talo SBH.

So I got a Hogue #83000 which says it fits XR3-RED but a lot of the backstrap of the frame hangs out. Hogue sells 84000 which is for a SBH with the square trigger. I dont get it. Im tired of going back and forth exchanging out grips.

Exactly how much is a lot of the backstrap?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:40 pm 
Bearcat

you can almost see into the frame. I would say 4-5mm. I can tell its not normal.

– Michael Garabaldi

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:07 pm 
Hawkeye

Voodoosan wrote:
you can almost see into the frame. I would say 4-5mm. I can tell its not normal.

It sounds like they sent a grip for the XR3 grip frame. That's exactly how much shorter it is, from front to back, as compared to your XR3-RED size grip frame!

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:44 pm 
Bearcat

Ok I tried Hogue 83000 & 84000 on my Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk 3.75 TALO. Neither one fit. The 83000 shows it fits XR3-RED and various other but NOT a plain no dash XR3 frame. So could my Talo be a KXR3? At this point I am beyond frustrated. Plus when I pulled my grips off there is no designation on the frame. So I have no idea at this point. But I know buying and returning grips is something I am tired of doing.

At this point I think it just has to wear the factory grips.

– Michael Garabaldi

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:58 pm 
Hawkeye

Voodoosan wrote:
Ok I tried Hogue 83000 & 84000 on my Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk 3.75 TALO. Neither one fit. The 83000 shows it fits XR3-RED and various other but NOT a plain no dash XR3 frame. So could my Talo be a KXR3? At this point I am beyond frustrated. Plus when I pulled my grips off there is no designation on the frame. So I have no idea at this point. But I know buying and returning grips is something I am tired of doing.

At this point I think it just has to wear the factory grips.

Did you actually draw a three inch square and place one of your stock Ruger grips in it? Using my drawing below how does your grip panel fit in it?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:07 pm 
Bearcat

It looks like the XR3-RED. the frames backstrap has that slight curve and its not straight like in the XR3.

– Michael Garabaldi

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:07 pm 
Hawkeye

Yes, the XR3-RED is the right grip frame for the Talo SBH. There's no other grip frame except the XR3 size that would be shorter to fit the Hogues. I've heard of this problem before the more I think about it. I wonder if Hogue has a mix up of their grips!

According to their online catalog, the #83000 rubber monogrip should be the correct grip for your grip frame, the XR3-RED size frame. The 84000 on their website is clearly for the Dragoon size grip frame, with round or sq. back trigger guard.

Is there any way possible that the rubber monogrip is not sliding up into place properly??? They can be difficult to install.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

Last edited by Hondo44 on Mon May 05, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:36 pm 
Hawkeye

OK, you have the XR3-RED grip profile. Evidently you're trying to use those big rubber grips on your gun. I'm sorry, I can't help you with that. All you can do is tell the people at Hogue that you have the XR3-RED profile grip that is the same thing as the regular Blackhawk.

If the grips don't fit then the problem is with Hogue. You are not the first one I've heard of complaining that they can't get those Hogue grips to fit their gun. In fact, it's actually quite a few.

All I can do is wish you luck.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:52 pm 
Bearcat

yes I did check to make sure I had them on properly. And thats what I put on was the #83000 and they didnt fit. The package said the Hogue 83000 fits the XR3-RED. So who knows. I just declared defeat and put the original grips back on :)

– Michael Garabaldi

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:45 pm 
Hawkeye

Voodoosan wrote:
yes I did check to make sure I had them on properly. And thats what I put on was the #83000 and they didnt fit. The package said the Hogue 83000 fits the XR3-RED. So who knows. I just declared defeat and put the original grips back on :)

Sorry you couldn't get what you wanted, but like I said, it's a problem with Hogues product. I've heard the same thing plenty of times before.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:59 pm 
Hawkeye

Yeah, let Hogue know, if you haven't already. Maybe they can make it right or at least refund you. Sounds like they have old stock for the XR3 grip frames mis-packaged!

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:42 pm 
Hawkeye

Hondo44 wrote:
Yeah, let Hogue know, if you haven't already. Maybe they can make it right or at least refund you. Sounds like they have old stock for the XR3 grip frames mis-packaged!

Old stock? Ruger hasn't made the XR3 grip frame for 52 years. I doubt Hogue was making those rubber grips then.

I don't think they made any rubber grips for the new XR3 either.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:21 am 
Hawkeye

They did make them in rubber for the pre 1963 XR3 much more recent than 52 years, we used to sell them.
Based on our OP's and other's experience, they may still be using the old (wrong) mould, hence the problem with fit.

And they STILL list regular grips for the 52 yr old XR3 and new XR3:
http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?mai ... 27_702_703

But they don't differentiate between the two: they must drill both locating pin holes, although they still won't properly fit both old and new, as we all know, they're not the same shape!

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:34 pm 
Hawkeye

Voodoosan wrote:

These same grips are sold by Brownells for $15.90 and here are the instructions from their website:
"Putting this [rubber # 83000] grip on a NM Ruger Blackhawk almost requires 3 hands.

1. It's extremely tight; using 2 credit cards or plastic shim on the sides because the rubber catches on the grip frame and won't allow the frame to slide in. Maybe lubrication might help.

2. The screw anchor at the bottom of the frame scratches the hell out of the anodized aluminum frame. Of course once it's installed you won't see the scratches.

3. On the plus side it makes the revolver easier to control. Recommend only if the above doesn't matter to you."

Hope this helps,

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:41 pm 
Buckeye

Question for Hondo44 or anyone else, what size grip frame comes on the newer flattop Blackhawk 44spl's?

I've heard a few people say it's the new XR3 like what's on the new Vaqueros but I thought that just the 50th anniversary flattops had them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next