Ruger SR9C

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jstraw11

Bearcat
Hello!!!
Fng here I am a glock guy. I bought my daughter a new Ruger sr9c. Factory ammo pistol keeps going to slide lock every couple rounds. Fired 144 rounds thru gun so far. Any ideas on this? Thanks in advance! John
Ps I can post a video if it helps.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
1. Clean the gun carefully according to instructions.
2. Lube the gun carefully according to instructions with CLP or Remington Oil according to weather and preferences.
3. Shoot 124 gr practice ball instead of 115 gr.
4. Check your hold, stance and insure you are not flinching before you fire.
5. Insure your hearing protection and eye protection are adequate.
6. Use the long magazine that came with the gun instead of the short one until you feel comfortable with it.
Geoff
Who notes small 9mms are not easy to handle, as he grabs his grip exerciser and squeezes while reading.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
Sounds like she may be hitting the slide stop with her thumb when shooting. Keep an eye on that and see if that fixes the problem. The SR seem to eat any ammo you feed it.
Also check to make sure the slide stop has the the spring in place to keep it down. there should be some pressure when pushing it up and it should pop back down under pressure.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Ruger Nut10 said:
Sounds like she may be hitting the slide stop with her thumb when shooting. Keep an eye on that and see if that fixes the problem.
+1 For a right handed shooter it's quite easy to keep their thumb along side the frame and catch the bottom of the slide stop under recoil. Check to see if she is doing this.

Jstraw11

Bearcat
Ok so I fired this gun 1 handed today. Goes to slide lock every round. Slide lock feels mooshy, I think spring is broken. Gonna pull down and inspect. Thanks for the help!

Jstraw11

Bearcat
Slide lock spring is not connected to lever gonna pull it down order a new spring

Blackhawk30

Single-Sixer
This appears to be a problem with this gun.many reports on this.Google is your friend.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
This problem is a recent common problem with the slide lock spring end having come adrift from its anchoring point. Some folks on the other Ruger forum have some good pictures of what is happening. These are not my pictures - they came from other folks, but do show what we are talking about.

The fix is either a trip back to Ruger or a parts replacement at your house after they send you the part.

Here is a picture of the spring end after it has popped out from under the tab that holds it in place.

Here is one about ready to pop out:

And a picture of what it is all supposed to look like. Notice it does not wrap around the tab - it just lays behind it.

haymaker

Single-Sixer
I recently watched Youtube video of a Glock with the same problem. I don't remember what model. After reconnecting the spring he had no more issues. It seems to be rare but something to watch for no matter what gun you are shooting.

Brian48

Bearcat
Hate to resurrect an old thread, but this issue reared its head for me this afternoon. Same problem as shown in the pics. Was shooting fine, then all sudden, the slide would lock back on each shot.

I was able to temporarily "fix" it by moving the spring back to it's original position, but it's only a matter of time before it happens again as the spring apprears too short and is barely engaging the tab. I'll be giving Prescott a call in the morning, but in the mean time, does anyone know of any instructional videos that show how you replace this spring? Thx.