44 Special Project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Maximumbob54 said:
I love threads like these. Now I'm hoping someone goes nuts on something tiny like take a Bearcat and chamber it in .17 Hornet or something crazy like that. I can't figure why it took me so long to join up here.

Welcome to the forum!
There has been a Bearcat converted to .327 Fed Mag.
And here's a couple of dandys:
Top one still for sale on this forum here:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=160419
Built by Dave Clements a 32-20 on a Single Six old model. These are expensive to build. $2950.
006-6.jpg

This is a .357 5 shot single six:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=159489
Sold on this forum for $1500 here with lots more photos:
DSCN1490.jpg

Maximumbob54

Bearcat
A Bearcat in .327??? That's what I'm talking about!!! That would be crazy for sure!!! Those are both amazing builds on Single Six frames. I never would have thought a five shot .357 cylinder would have fit.

Sax.45

Single-Sixer
Lee Martin said:
ChuckS1 said:
So Lee, after you get yours done, how much to do mine?

Thanks guys. Never considered doing it as a business. For one, I don't have an FFL. Secondly, there're a lot of great pistolsmiths already out there (Clements, Linebaugh, Bowen, Harton, Stroh, etc). It's hard to compete with established names.

Hi Lee, Yes there is a lot of great pistolsmiths out there. Even they had to start somewhere. I think you have the talent and the ability to compete quite nicely with them. I would love to have a pistol handcrafted by you and your dad.

Sax.45

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Maximumbob54 said:
A Bearcat in .327??? That's what I'm talking about!!! That would be crazy for sure!!! Those are both amazing builds on Single Six frames. I never would have thought a five shot .357 cylinder would have fit.

It's been done! There was one shown in Bart Skelton's column in Shooting Times in the past year by Bowen or Gallagher, etc., can't remember which.

Dexx000

Bearcat
Someone say Bearcat in .327?? Check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV3wr2ABoRg

Jeff Quinn giving it the once-over. kinda neat.

Frank V

Single-Sixer
I came in late, sure enjoyed watching Lee rebuild that Ruger.
I'm one who likes the .44 Special too, it's a great ctg.
It wouldn't do for me to live next door to Lee, I'm afraid I'd wear out my welcome. :wink:
Lee, thanks for sharing, that's a beautiful Six-gun, with great pictures explaining the build to us.
Frank

davidj

Bearcat
Have a Lipseys 4 5/8 stainless BH and it is my favorite. I always planned to do a Skeeter conversion but the money always went to other projects. It was a great day when I found out Ruger had produced some.

ken s

Bearcat
yup, just the home handyman type of project :p
wish I had that kind of shop...but the divorce would cost too much.
why not use a SS grip frame...I have one coming for my project single six and elk grips , I can strop the frame to the grips with steel.

I'll keep watching...good luck....Ken

Frank V

Single-Sixer
The .44 Special has been my favorite ctg. for a very long time. I use others regularly, but my infatuation with the .44 Special spans 5 decades! :wink:
As Bill Jordan would say, it'll do to ride the river with!

Arkansas Paul

Bearcat
I know this thread hasn't been posted on in nearly a year but I'm brand new here and must comment.

I have been on discussion boards for several years now, including a couple of firearms related ones. This is hands down the most interesting and fun thread I've ever read. Lee, I feel a combination of awe and unabashed jealousy when looking at the photos of the process. Amazing friend.

Frank V

Single-Sixer
Paul,
Welcome to the forum.
Enjoy.

I'm kind of tickkled to see this thread back. There are a lot worse cartridges out there than the .44 Special!!!! :mrgreen:

Lburgau303

Bearcat
Lee, just started following your thread. First let me say I have always been a huge fan of .44 spl. I like a big chunk of lead moving at moderate fps producing manageable recoil and lower levels of muzzle flash and lesser chances of over penitration. I also prefer to fill a casing with power rather than having it slosh around willy nilly. Good luck.
I have need of a part being machined for a High Standard darranger. Would you be interested in the job or can you refer someone.
This next question is for you or anyone that might be in the group.
I'm hot for a .45LC/ACP convertible Black Hawk, and have read a lot about accuracy issues due to inconsistency issues with cylinder and throat. Might you know if Ruger has addressed this issue or does one need to still have accuracy issues addressed with brand new guns?

Latest posts