Ruger American vs. Ruger M77

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
IMHO, yes. The American is fine for an entry level rifle for the guy that just wants to kill a deer once a year. For the man that wants a rifle he would be proud to show his friends and hand down to his grandkids, the 77MK2 has it beat all to Hades. I much prefer the Mauser type action on the 77, with the controlled round feed, as well as the integral scope mounts and steel rings. Give it a nice walnut stock, or laminated one, and it is one handsome rifle indeed. I say this on the provision you get one that is really blued and not the cheap coating they have been putting on them lately. Once again, just IMHO.

leon670

Bearcat
Newer Hawkeye has gone back to the older blued finish. I bought one last winter and I love it. I like it better than the MK IIs I have owned. The American is more of a disposable gun. The 77 in all its incarnations, is a very nice rifle. http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a3dc38b3127ccef232c63269f400000030O00AYuXDRi1cuGIPbz4A/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00108951489120130219141805739.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

soyarm

Bearcat
IMO is all in what you are looking for in a rifle. If you just want a hunting rifle, it is not worth the difference. I have several of each and the American will do everything the 77 will do but not as pretty. Damn,,,,come to think of it I know some women like that.....but I digress

Hillbilly Jim

Bearcat
For the guys who buy 100 dollar designer jeans I would recommend the 77. For the guys who buy jeans for 40 or less buy the American.
Looks are not important for hunting or make a rifle soot any better, just for bragging in the bar.

leon670

Bearcat
Wow. Swing and a miss there. Hillbilly. The 77 is a nice, Field Grade Rifle that the average person can afford and be proud to own. When Remington first came out with their plastic piece of crap, blister pack rifle, (model 710?) it got the thumbs down from serious hunters, everywhere. Looks like we have been conditioned to accept less by those mass marketing geniuses on Madison
Ave. Get the plastic, junk and buy trail cams and salt blocks with the money you saved, huh? :D

Leatherneck

Bearcat
I've never handled the M77 but I don't doubt its a reliable, quality rifle. And I can't dispute that a good wood stock is a thing of beauty. That said, I did buy my daughter an American. Its a good reliable rifle that fit within my budget. I'm sure its going to serve her well for a long time. Just because it has a low price and a synthetic stock doesn't mean its a piece of crap.

Personally, I believe it comes down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable with. I'm sure you will be happy with either one. And yes, sometimes beauty is worth the extra cost.

leon670

Bearcat
Best answer yet; LN.. I too doubt that it a piece of crap. It's a Ruger and they will stand behind it.
It is worth it to me to own a more traditional firearm. It's great that we have a choice. I hope your daughter loves her new rifle.

Chief 101

Hunter
Andy H said:
Hillbilly Jim said:
For the guys who buy 100 dollar designer jeans I would recommend the 77. For the guys who buy jeans for 40 or less buy the American.
Looks are not important for hunting or make a rifle soot any better, just for bragging in the bar.

Good analogy. I'm a 20-40 dollar jeans guy. I drive an old car and buy my wife a brand new one. I've shaved my head for years so I don't have to go to a barber.

Funny, I am the same way...I don't own a 77, but I do have a few #1s. Had a Savage with tupperware stock replace stock with laminated one, it gets a lot of use with varmints...I like the 77, my engineer buddy did the research when he wanted a rifle this year and bought an American...complicated critters we are...

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
77's are pretty much non-existent(except for GSR's) around here since the RAR came around

Have a stainless Hawkeye that's not going anywhere but I really don't see anything wrong with the RAR's especially considering the price---seems a decent well made rifle with a lot of desirable features.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Comparing a Ford to a Yugo. Wear WalMart jeans and shave your head to save a few bucks and a Yugo will get you to work just fine.

Marketing 101 knows there is a sizeable demographic of this type of shooter, and a $10 molded stock and sandblasted metal will suit them just fine. Maybe for the hunter who drops his rifle more than once...?
There is also the ethic of Bill Ruger, who wanted to build fine firearms for the workingman (woman), and did so with checkered walnut and blued steel. Nothing wrong with the Ruger American, I just don't need one for anything at this point in my life. I guess it would make a good "camp rifle" to be stored at the cabin for anyone who lost their gun in transit or busted their rifle during the hunt...?

This is a cosmetics comparison, as I've read they mostly shoot as well as the better-heeled 77s.

CP

Bearcat
I prefer rifles that have three position safeties. However, as long as the bolt locks down when the safety is on, I can get along just fine with two position safety rifles in the field. Unfortunately, the American bolt does not lock down and that eliminates it from any consideration from me. CP.

leon670

Bearcat
The 77 came out at a time when the average working man, could not afford a new rifle that was aesthetically appealing as well as rugged and reliable. Most factory bolt action rifles had monte carlo combs, white line spacers and press checkering.
Ruger hired a custom stockmaker to design a good looking stock in the classic style with cut checkering and nice finish that could be mass produced. The actions were strong with one piece, bolts and machined actions made of good steel.
The Model 70 Win, so much loved, was gone. In its place was the post- 64 version which though cheaper to produce, lacked the simple classic lines of its predecessor. Bill Rugers ideas influenced other makers, causing Winchester to change its stock designs with the XTR model 70 and Remington with its Classic and Mountain Rifle versions of the model 700. The Mk II had true controlled round feeding as does the Hawkeye. I believe the new Hawkeye has further refined this rifle, making it even better. I know that my views are old-fashioned and polished walnut, good checkering and blued steel do not make a rifle any more useful. I got my ideas of what a good rifle should look like, reading Jack O' Connor and Jim Carmichael. I guess I was brainwashed.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
CRF is compared to a push feed bolt face, wherein the CRF bolt carries a large claw-type extractor "finger" perfected by Mauser in the 19th century, that grabs over a portion of the case rim under the claw extractor when exiting the magazine itself, when tuned properly. A push-feed bolt has a relatively small hook to perform the case removal function only.

I agree that "polished walnut, good checkering and blued steel do not make a rifle any more useful", but if that were all that matters in a rifle, we'd all be driving a white Chevy Aveo, as if getting from point A to point B were all that mattered in transportation.

Call me a romantic.

tguil

Single-Sixer
leon670 said:
The 77 came out at a time when the average working man, could not afford a new rifle that was aesthetically appealing as well as rugged and reliable. Most factory bolt action rifles had monte carlo combs, white line spacers and press checkering.
Ruger hired a custom stockmaker to design a good looking stock in the classic style with cut checkering and nice finish that could be mass produced. The actions were strong with one piece, bolts and machined actions made of good steel.
The Model 70 Win, so much loved, was gone. In its place was the post- 64 version which though cheaper to produce, lacked the simple classic lines of its predecessor. Bill Rugers ideas influenced other makers, causing Winchester to change its stock designs with the XTR model 70 and Remington with its Classic and Mountain Rifle versions of the model 700. The Mk II had true controlled round feeding as does the Hawkeye. I believe the new Hawkeye has further refined this rifle, making it even better. I know that my views are old-fashioned and polished walnut, good checkering and blued steel do not make a rifle any more useful. I got my ideas of what a good rifle should look like, reading Jack O' Connor and Jim Carmichael. I guess I was brainwashed.

Yep, bought a Model 77 in 1982. IMO it was the best looking rifle on the market at that time. Period. Blued steel, good wood, no monte carlo stock, excellent mounting system for a scope. Just simple clean lines. Still have it and use it every deer season. We've both aged a bit but I think we are both still looking' good. Now on the other hand, there is my rough painted camo Mossberg 500 Turkey special……... :?

Leatherneck

Bearcat
I just learned of another advantage of the RAR. It doesn't bother me that my daughter wants to personalize it by vinyl wrapping the stock. The RAR makes a great base for cosmetic customization.

DDubya

Single-Sixer
I have had a number of pretty guns in my life, from pre-64 model 70s to a custom built on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action with a high grade Bishop walnut stock and a couple of M77 Rugers. Love them all but I wanted something for deer hunting that I'm not afraid to scratch or bump. My RAR in .270 Win. (yes, I'm an old Jack O'Connor fan) shoots tight groups with my Hornady tipped handloads. The recoil pad is very well designed and recoil is hardly noticeable. I still like to take my lookers to the range but the RAR goes to the field. It's totally utilitarian and that's fine with me.