77/22 Accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

black1970

Blackhawk
A friend of mine wanted me to sell a Target Gray 77/22 with laminated stock for him. So just for curosity I decided to shoot it and see just how accurate it was. I have several friends that will not touch a 77/22 because they say they are not accurate along with the awuful trigger. I mounted a 12X scope and tried 10 different brands of 22LR ammo to include RWS Target and a lot of other high-priced stuff. Guess what. CCI Mini-Mags was the most accurate by far. Produced one hole groups at 50 yds. in 5 round strings. The trigger measured 8.6 lbs. Needless to say I gave him the 400.00 he wanted for it and have now installed a Timney sear and spring. This rifle will shoot circles around anything I have owned including Kimbers etc. Now I am looking for a 22 Magnum in the same rifle. JM2CW

Bootlegger

Single-Sixer
Timney makes it like a totally different rifle doesn't it!

I don't know what pound pull mine is but its lighter and smoother than my Savage accutrigger

Snake45

Hawkeye
Bootlegger said:
Timney makes it like a totally different rifle doesn't it!
Sure does. Took mine from a clean but heavy 6 pounds to a clean 3 pounds, just exactly where I wanted it. Lovely trigger now, and for only $24!

Snake45

Hawkeye
MADISON said:
I shoot at 1 inch squares at 25 yards.
None of the groups are outside the square.
Heck, the only .22 rifle I have that won't do that is a USGI M261 .22 conversion in a 5.56 AR-15 barrel (wrong diameter, wrong twist). And even it will do that sometimes, with some ammos.

My 77/22V shoots 5/8" groups at 50 yards with its favorite ammo, and not that well with everything else. I've never been able to get a 1/2" group out of it at 50. My CZ 452 American can bust 1/2" at 50 all day long, and has shot a few legit 1" groups at a full 100.

C6S1C

Bearcat
I also have a 77/22 Target with a laminate stock....I shot a entire box of 50 rounds of Wolf Match Target into a 1 inch orange circle at about 40 yards. It shoots lights out. It became boring ragged that same hole. Great rifle. I would also like to find on in .22 mag. I just picked up a silimar version in .17 HMR ( Talo edition X-17 ). That is also a shooter. That model is definately under estimated for it accuracy. I have not upgraded the trigger to a Timney yet. A Bushnell 4200 4-16x40mm AO rides on top.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Different people have different definitions of accuracy it seems. I'd love to own a 77/22 but for the price of one if it didn't shoot 3/8" or better @ 50 yards I'd really be disappointed. They're a beautiful rifle for sure but I don't buy them to look at. Like Snake45, my CZ(s) will shoot into the .2x" @ 50 yards occasionally and under 1/2" without fail.

Maybe the threaded barrel will tighten the groups up and their rep will improve.

"one ragged hole" can be anything from 5 shots in a straight line string to a little bughole. :roll:

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
My early 77/22 sporter will turn in 5/8 - 3/4" 10 shot 50 yard groups regularly with it's favorite ammo, although none of that ammo is very pricey. I had a lower end Anschutz that would shoot a bit better than that, but the Ruger was a much nicer feeling and handling gun. The Anschutz resides in somebody else's gun cabinet now. There are a few of the CZ rifles that appeal to me, but they seem pretty rough feeling compared to my 77/22.

Snake45

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ said:
I'd love to own a 77/22 but for the price of one if it didn't shoot 3/8" or better @ 50 yards I'd really be disappointed. They're a beautiful rifle for sure but I don't buy them to look at.
Mine doesn't and I am. :( :( :evil: It does look good, though.
Like Snake45, my CZ(s) will shoot into the .2x" @ 50 yards occasionally and under 1/2" without fail.
If my 77/22V had shot the way I expected it to when I bought it, I wouldn't even own the CZ today. :wink:
Maybe the threaded barrel will tighten the groups up and their rep will improve.
My understanding is that the chamber itself is of vital importance. Doesn't matter how good the barrel is or how it's mounted if they chamber it with a 10/22 reamer, and I believe that's pretty much what they were doing when mine was built. I've heard they have tighter chambers now.

"one ragged hole" can be anything from 5 shots in a straight line string to a little bughole. :roll:
I hear ya. When somebody says his joint is "accurate," I pay it no attention unless he shows me a target or tells me some numbers, brother.

waffle

Bearcat
Hey guys I know this is a really old thread but it came up in a search for 77/22 mag reviews. I've heard both good and bad about them and I recently picked up a used one in excellent condition. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet so I was looking up people opinions on them. My dad has one of the first ones they made and it is super accurate. I killed a coyote with a 100 yard head shot and have killed squirrels at 150. So I hope mine shoots as good. I will update after I get some rounds down range. From everyone's input looks like I've got a 50/50 chance at having an accurate one.

waffle

Bearcat
Well I shot 50 rounds through it. It definitely needs a trigger job. I was only able to get a 1" group at 100 yds but that is a head shot on a squirrel so I can't complain too much. That was with cheal ammo. I got some 34 grain winchester hollow points that were one ragged hole at 50 yds. I think they would be better at 100 yds also. Gotta get the trigger worked on and try again. But overall I am very happy with it so far.

wunbe

Buckeye
My VBZ with a trigger job and a 2x7 Weaver RF scope will hit anything I aim at out to 50 yards. The only problem I have is that the bricks of Federal ammo it loves have vanished and, for now, can't be replaced. I'm down to some Wolf fodder which is OK but not as good.

The VHZ, however, was a shotgun sprayer by comparison -- until I had it K'ed and Traistored by ITD in Minerva Ohio.

wunbe

tenx

Bearcat
i'm a little late to the party but my experience has been bad with 77-22 long rifle barrels. replaced the first one with a lother walther and the second with a shilen, haven't looked back. both original barrels shot minute of pie plate groups at most any distance. really nice rifle but the new barrels made them both exceptionally nice. kinda sucks that after shelling out the $$ for the gun you have to dig deep again for a decent barrel to make the gun a real shooter.