Gunblast.com Review of new Ruger SR-762 Semi-Auto carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
golferboy426 said:
oh great another gun I can't buy in CT

We can get them in CA by tweaking the mag release a bit, then it doesn't fall under the AW prohibition because the magazine is considered "not detachable". Even though it is readily removable.

I'm usually not a fan of the AR 10 types, had a POF for a while and never really warmed up to it for some reason. I'd switch out the stock on this Ruger, but I like the forend set up. Reminds me of the HK 91 a bit. The price seems a bit high, but I suppose will drop in the real world over time. For nearly $2K I'd expect something better by way of a standard AR trigger with an 8 lb pull.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Interesting, but not for the price, and I must second Blume357.

Pricing:
Ruger SR762 MSRP $2195 (Piston & Rail)
Sig Sauer SIG716 Patrol MSRP $2132 (Piston & Rail)
DPMS MK12 MSRP $1759 (Impingement & Rail)
S&W M&P 10 MSRP $1619 (Impingement & No Rail)
Armalite AR-10 A4 $1571 (Impingement & No Rail)
Remington products are extremely different (fixed stock, no rail, impingement), price comparison would not be helpful.

I did not make a mistake on the Sig Sauer/Ruger pricing. The Ruger actually has a higher MSRP than the direct equivalent Sig Sauer. Ruger is the most expensive game in town.

I am keeping my eye open for an FN FNAR. It is a piston driven rifle, based off of the current Browning BAR, that accepts detachable magazines, and has a conservative rail system (appropriate for such a rifle). With an out the door price $400-$700 lower than the Ruger, it is very appealing. Reviews of the FNAR tout its accuracy as well. Even though magazines prices are 150% higher with the FNAR, cost still favors the FNAR.

Charlie

exavid

Hunter
The M14 certainly wasn't bad in the recoil department so I doubt the Ruger SR762 would be either. I got an ad from Ruger in the mail the other day about the 762, love to have it but the 2K MSRP is a bit too rich for my blood. The M1A is the civilian version of the M14.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
I have to agree with Jeff Quinn (I always do) that Ruger has accomplished with the SR762 what they did with the SR556. There are a lot of other choices for an AR10-type (the above mentioned manufacturers as well as higher quality brands like POF, JP Rifles, custom upgraded Armalite AR10s, etc) rifles just as there are many (many more) choices for an AR15. Ruger wasn't trying to beat everyone's price with the SR556 or the SR762, and I'm not sure why they only went with the piston-driven design, but the SR556 seems to have been a wise business move. When I can afford it and when I can find them available I plan to buy both. I'm not sure which I'll get first...They are both high quality guns and very reasonably priced when compared to similar higher end weapons. Also like Jeff said, I don't always want the lowest priced gun, sometimes I want something a bit nicer. The fact they carry Ruger's name and emblem sets them above the other brands for me in terms of customer service and warranty.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
High-end .308 Black Rifle..... LaRue PredatOBR
18_762_predatobr_profile.jpg

$3370

I think I'd go with the Ruger...

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
I would like to see a detailed and exhaustive comparison between the SR556, SR762 and their Sig Sauer equivalents...

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Who is manufacturing the upper, lower, pieces parts?

Ruger assembles SR556 parts so I assume the pieces parts are also outsourced on the 308.

Maybe I'm just out of touch with the real world, but there was a time when Ruger's business plan was to build guns for the average man.... I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around $2,200 being what the average man or woman would pay for a rifle.

chet15

Hawkeye
I think its a great introduction. Those worried about a $2,200 price tag really don't have to worry too much as when things settle down you'll probably be in the $1,500 to $1,600 range.
But hopefully soon, Ruger will introduce an Economy version of this one like they did with the .223.
Chet15

dingode

Single-Sixer
dfletcher said:
golferboy426 said:
oh great another gun I can't buy in CT

For nearly $2K I'd expect something better by way of a standard AR trigger with an 8 lb pull.

I agree with this. My S&W 15-22 came with a better trigger than my SR-556CLA. For the price Ruger is charging they can put a better trigger in their guns.

blume357 said:
Maybe I'm just out of touch with the real world, but there was a time when Ruger's business plan was to build guns for the average man.... I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around $2,200 being what the average man or woman would pay for a rifle.
I am sure it will actually sell for a lot less than msrp. The sr 556 was always advertised a a substantial drop from list. I really don't remember the exact numbers but I believe the pre panic prices were around $350.00 or so lower than factory.

Enigma

Hunter
I think they should have given it an 18-20" barrel, myself. Sixteen-inch .308s are loud, with rather impressive fireballs when fired. When I built my FAL Para, I left the barrel 18" long for jut that reason.

One definite good point is that the rifle uses Magpul mags, rather than either a proprietary design or some rapidly disappearing milsurp design. We'll see how successful the rifle is at that price point.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
chet15 said:
I think its a great introduction. Those worried about a $2,200 price tag really don't have to worry too much as when things settle down you'll probably be in the $1,500 to $1,600 range.
But hopefully soon, Ruger will introduce an Economy version of this one like they did with the .223.
Chet15

Ruger's usually sell for 15-20% below MSRP. I would expect a before tax OTD price of $1756 to $1865. The Sig Sauer 716 (direct competition) is being sold on Top Gun Supply right now for $1800. My thoughts are that if I am going to pay Sig Sauer prices, might as well get a Sig.

Charlie

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
blume357 said:

That was definitely a part of their business plan but Bill Ruger also planned and executed another portion of the business focused on military and police weapons which were targeted toward a domestic and international market. Also, a semi auto 7.62 nato caliber rifle with detachable 20 round magazines is not really an average rifle for an average man or woman. It is a lot of firepower and a lot of (expensive) fun. I shot an (Armalite)AR10 built by JP Rifles and it was ridiculously accurate.

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:

Bollocks.

The No. 1 was never an "average man's gun". Nor did Ruger offer el cheapo Model 77's to compete with Savage or the Remington 788 back in the day.

I ask again, anyone know who actually manufactures the pieces parts?

peyton

Single-Sixer
Jeff, thanks for the review, does the rifle have the magazine release on both sides?

Latest posts