357 mag full wadcutter for hunting?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WESHOOT2

Hunter
A hole that passes through is good, but I still prefer the 180g S-JHP Remington bullet from my 357 Magnums......it WILL expand, and its weight and sectional density often allow it, too, to make a pass-through.......

hammeredbean

Single-Sixer
I have enjoyed hearing everyone's opinions. I will certainly experiment with WC loads in the future and see how much umph they will allow. All I have to load right now are Xtreme SWC plated bullets. So far I am up to 13.4gr of 2400 and 8.2 gr Power Pistol. I don't have anything to write home about yet. I will note that Power Pistol is quite snappy. 8.5 is max and 8.0 has potential for accuracy. 13.gr of 2400 was a good group but a mild load. I hope that the groups tighten up closer to 14 gr. I will eventually reach the limit of the double struck plated bullet. I have already told my bride that an LBT mold would be a good Christmas present.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
I THINK I'LL NOTE THIS HERE: There is a famous gunwriter who swore me to secrecy who took the largest buck of his career with a 38SPL wadcutter through the lungs. Killed him deader than canned tuna. Deer are easy to kill as they're about as tough as a bag of air and cheese.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
WIL TERRY said:
I THINK I'LL NOTE THIS HERE: There is a famous gunwriter who swore me to secrecy who took the largest buck of his career with a 38SPL wadcutter through the lungs. Killed him deader than canned tuna. Deer are easy to kill as they're about as tough as a bag of air and cheese.

I like that :D

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Years ago, I had good accuracy out to 50 yds or so with DEWC's from my casting efforts, but leading became a problem if I pushed the velocity much at all. I've learned a lot since those early days regarding sizing and lubes, so maybe that's a solvable problem. But for accuracy that's comparable, and velocity up to 1200 fps, a well sized and lubed LSWC does the same trick and doesn't lead up my forcing cone nor the bbl. It's got the same square shouldered design, but is better in most regards. Best Regards, Rod

anachronism

Single-Sixer
I seem to remember Chuck Taylor taking a deer at 25 yards with a 38 wadcutter too. He was famous for really wringing out handgun/ammo combinations to the final decimal. He would carry and test a gun for an extended length of time, a year IIRC. I remember his tests almost always included a deer hunt. I though he was nuts when he took a deer with a Glock 17, one of the first ones in the country. The man could really turn out an article.

hammeredbean

Single-Sixer
GP100man said:
Why the big deal on HOLE size ???

As long as ya punch the air bags & 2 holes are suckin wind ,you`ll find ya deer !

Less meat damage is the point I`m saying !

I ruined a whole shoulder once with a 140gr. sierra gamegetter with all the #9AA I dared to put under it , the deer was at 7yds.

Now it`s 357429s or NOEs 360-180 solid points, 1 hole in ,1 hole out , any angle ya wanna shoot from !

But , I`ll say within your range a wadcutter WILL knock a deer down as good as any other design IF the velocity is there & placement is good.

GP

If you don't mind me asking, what load do you use with that 360-180 from NOE? Since I posted this I have been looking at that bullet as well as the 180gr MP mold.

Paul B

Hunter
I did some limited work along these lines many years ago when I lived in California. I got decent accuracy out to about 30 yards, give or take but when I tried for more speed, bullets became erratic and lots of keyholing.
One day while at a gun show, I came across an interesting bullet mold; a Lyman #429352, nominally a 245 gr. wadcutter in .44 caliber. I didn't even know such a thing existed. :shock: I loaded up a few in.44 Spl. brass and the very first shot killed my chronograph. To this day I don't know ow that happened as my hold on the rest was good and my sight picture at the shot was right on. I don't even remember the load. If you have the Second Edition Lyman cast bullet manual, there is a picture on page 226, bottom row third bullet on the left.
Reading Ed Harris' article brought that long ago work to mind only I have to wonder how that 250 gr. (in my alloy) wadcutter would work at maybe 900 to 950 FPS in a .44 magnum.In my neck of the desert where one might encounter critter with teeth, claws and some with tusks, I believe I'd feel more comfortable with the bullet hole of the .44 and the bigger hole. Still should work just fine on smaller game as well. My shortest barreled .44 Mag. is a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a Blackhawk frame and Bisley hammer. Barrel length is 4 5/8". Handy to carry but brutal as hell with my full power cast bullet loads. It might be more comfortable with the Bisley grip and frame.
DAMN! As if I didn't have enough projects in the loop. Gonna have to think long and hard on this one.
Paul B.

Latest posts