medium frame 41 Mg.?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
Since the medium frame, originally produced for the .357 Mg. is offered in .45 LC and will handle pressures of 20K safely, why wouldn't it handle the .41 Mg. safely? There is something like .040" difference in diameter after all.

When Ruger decided to produce the .44 Mg. Blackhawk, he considered the medium frame, but opted for the larger frame just to be safe, so it would seem that the smaller .41 would be perfectly safe in the smaller frame.

Also, the 10MM would be another option. Neither of these would require any special tooling that they don't already have.

Wouldja buy one in either caliber? 8)

Terry T

Buckeye
I have a medium frame (S&W "K" frame size) 5 shot Taurus in .45 ACP and a large frame ('N" frame) 5" S&W 610 in 10mm.
I believe Taurus offered the same gun in .40 S&W but not in 10mm.

I would like the medium frame in 10mm although it would have to be a 5 shot. One could also shoot the 40 S&W in it.
If Ruger made one now, it would be on the GP-100 frame which is more like the S&W 'L' frame rather than the S&W 'K' frame.

Apparently S&W's Night Guard 310, a light weight, 6 shot 'N' frame sized piece in 10mm was not a big seller and has been dropped from their line. They were a bit pricy but I'm sorry I didn't get one. They were more of a CCW piece than a hunting piece.

All of these pieces use the full moon clips for fast reloading.
Terry T

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
When Ruger made the 50th anniversary 44 mag flattop, they used the 3 digit prefix, medium frame. It's not the frame as much as it is the thickness of the cylinder, so they must have thought there was plenty on a 44 to stand the pressure, not so with a 45 Colt and the Ruger only loads.

5of7

Hunter
gmartinnc said:
When Ruger made the 50th anniversary 44 mag flattop, they used the 3 digit prefix, medium frame. It's not the frame as much as it is the thickness of the cylinder, so they must have thought there was plenty on a 44 to stand the pressure, not so with a 45 Colt and the Ruger only loads.

Are you sure that it is the medium cylinder frame?

I know that Ruger considered that frame when he introduced the .44 Mg. but opted instead for a new larger frame. 8)

gak

Buckeye
The 50th .44 is a hybrid,..large "magnum" cylinder frame mated to the midframe's XR3 grip.
I've had plans (for some time) to have my early NV .357 made into a "triple threat"/3 cylinder .38-40/.40./10 --hoping Ruger (assuming Davidson's, Lipseys) would beat me to it and save me some money...not holding my breath though. .41 Mag's similarly been on the "plan" list - for the same gun. It's a conundrum I tell ya! Either'd be a great gun.

I'd be interested in one. The only thing that keeps me from buying a lipsey's flattop convertible in 45ACP/Colt is my worry that I might someday erroneously put a higher pressure large-frame Blackhawk round in it. I guess the 44 Special flattop would also keep me from doing that too..

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
5of7 said:
gmartinnc said:

Are you sure that it is the medium cylinder frame?

I know that Ruger considered that frame when he introduced the .44 Mg. but opted instead for a new larger frame. 8)
If I still had the gun, I would do some measuring, but it was for sure, a 3 digit prefix flattop.

Terry T

Buckeye
Dropped by a local shop this afternoon - very clean S&W model 58 still there - been there for a couple of months now. A bit pricy but still .... nice piece, if a bit heavy for 'carry'. Not all THAT big. :D
Point is...folks aren't scrambling to buy it.
Terry T

CraigC

Hawkeye
smith1961 said:
,CraigC dropping by to talk about how few people will by a .41 in 5,4,3,2.1...... :lol:
As I said in the PM, it's not an indictment against the cartridge or its fans. It's a statement of fact that few people buy .41's. Which is cool, because I prefer the odd and unpopular. I just don't happen to have a .41 just yet. Don't confuse marketing with enthusiasm for the cartridge.

That said, I have no desire to touch off a full steam .41Mag cartridge in any sixgun that is not a Bisley. I have a 5½" mid-frame .44Spl Bisley and it is one ounce lighter than a 4 5/8" .44Mag. So to me, if it's gonna be that heavy, it might as well be a large frame. On the mid-frame, I'd much rather see Ruger legitimize the .41Spl. Where 215's@1200fps is possible but 900-1000fps is the norm. Even then, I think it's best in the Old Model due to the lighter weight. I have a severe soft spot for the .41Spl, even though I do not yet own one, because of Taffin's article on the first Bowen custom Colt SAA's, one being a 5½" .41Spl. I'll eventually have one but it will be an Old Model. My next custom Old Model will be either a 4" .45ACP or a 7½" .38-40/.401PowerMag convertible. Which will basically be treated like a .41Spl.

CraigC

Hawkeye
gmartinnc said:
If I still had the gun, I would do some measuring, but it was for sure, a 3 digit prefix flattop.
You'd find out that the 50th anniversary .44Mag Blackhawk was a large frame, not a medium. Can't speak for yours but mine is a two digit prefix and will be going off to become a 5-shot Bisley .500JRH.

smith1961

Blackhawk
Terry T said:
Dropped by a local shop this afternoon - very clean S&W model 58 still there - been there for a couple of months now. A bit pricy but still .... nice piece, if a bit heavy for 'carry'. Not all THAT big. :D
Point is...folks aren't scrambling to buy it.
Terry T

What are they asking for that beast Terry? :?:

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
CraigC said:
gmartinnc said:
You'd find out that the 50th anniversary .44Mag Blackhawk was a large frame, not a medium. Can't speak for yours but mine is a two digit prefix and will be going off to become a 5-shot Bisley .500JRH.
If I still had the gun, I would post a photo of the serial number. As it stands, the best I can do is to give you a close up cropped from the above photo. As you can see, it had a three digit prefix in the serial number on the envelope the fired case came in, plus you can see in the photo. it was a flattop. This was the 50th anniversary of the 44 mag, not the 50th anniversary of the Blackhawk. That was a different gun.

gak

Buckeye
Two digits or three, there is NO such thing as a factory NM midframe .44 Mag. They're all large cylinder/frame.

CraigC

Hawkeye
gmartinnc said:
This was the 50th anniversary of the 44 mag, not the 50th anniversary of the Blackhawk. That was a different gun.
I'm going to be as civil as I can but you don't know what you're talking about. It was the 50th anniversary of the Blackhawk .44Mag, which debuted in 1956. It was a flat-top and it was a LARGE frame, as was the anniversary model. The anniversary model is nothing more than a Super Blackhawk with the flat top strap, Micro rear sight and steel XR3 grip frame.

Not to be confused with the Super Blackhawk which debuted in 1959 and had its 50th anniversary in 2009.

As gak posted, there is no such thing as a factory mid-frame .44Mag Blackhawk, aside from the handful of prototypes made before they decided to go to the larger frame. Regardless of the serial number prefix.

Two digit prefix:
50th%20.44%20-%20002.JPG

nmsu

Bearcat
Here you go. 3 screw flat tops medium frame. Top is a .41 mag, bottom .357

ruger41_zps34bf7582.jpg

41mag_zpsaec753ef.jpg