.41 Blackhawk 3 screw brass frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NorthForkID

Bearcat
I'm new to this forum and would appreciate a little help. I'm looking at purchasing a friends .41 Magnum Blackhawk, 3 screw with the brass frame. It's in very good condition but I'm having difficulty determining the value and I haven't been able to find any comparable revolvers for sale. The serial number is 40-215**.

Thank you!

It is amazing what one little piece of paper from Ruger can do to the value of your friends gun. If it letters as a factory shipped brass 41 then the value is easily in the four figure range nada their are a number of collector experts here on the forum who, based on that letter and pictures of the guns condition can give you a price. If it has had the brass frame added later like most of the 41's then it is a sum of the parts. OM 41's in the short barrel can range form $475-$750 in my area depending on the condition and if it has been converted or not The brass frame and wide trigger are available right now on this forum in the classifieds from Westerville for the mid to high $300's range. The real key is if it shipped with the brass frame and if it can be verified by Ruger.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
As my friend Robb has pointed out, "it depends."
There are very few factory installed brass grip frames that will "letter" as having been shipped that way. Example;
The known serial number range for the factory shipped brassies is 40-18080 to 40-22214. The known quantities; BKH-41B=50 (That's only 50 guns with the short barrel.) and for the BKH-42B=160 (the longer barreled ones.)
So the gun you mentioned falls into the range of the "possible" ones.
A formal request to Ruger for a letter on how the gun was shipped only costs $10. That would be CHEAP if it letters.
Factory brassies are rare & expensive when they letter.
Next, add in the condition of the gun, and if it has the box, or, especially the brown bookwrap shipper. If the bookwrap shipper has the BKH-41B or BKH-42B on the end, then it's very likely it shipped as such.
All that said, it's more likely the gun had the brass grip frame added after the fact.
And as Robb has said, it's value is in the sum of the parts.
If it's a Ruger brass g/f, then the value of the g/f itself is around the $300 mark. If it's an aftermarket g/f, less. Usually around $150. Next a gun w/o a g/f at all in 41 mag would be in the $300-$400 range if in very good condition.
So, if it letters,,, it's worth a lot.
If it doesn't letter, then it can be worth as low as $450 with an aftermarket g/f to as high as $700 if the g/f is a Ruger one. This is assuming it's in very good condition.
A Ruger grip frame is the same shape as a Super Blackhawk g/f with the square back dragoon type trigger guard. If you pull off the grips, then you should find markings in the casting of; MR-3DB.
I hope this helps a bit more.

Welcome to the form.
Yes to all of the above. Now another way to look at it. Buy the gun at a price YOUR FRIEND thinks is fair. He knows what he paid for it. He will be happy with the deal. If it letters you will be very happy with the deal.
At one time I bought a 357 with the brass frame just to get the frame. Neither the owner or I thought it was shipped that way. Well a call to Ruger proved us both wrong. I was very happy with the deal and he was happy getting what he wanted for the gun.
It could take up to 2 months to get a letter from Ruger so I hear.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
northforkID,

I think with the data Robb Barnes/Contender gave you and the opinion Wyandot Jim you should tell him "How Much you want?".

If he is a very good friend you have a problem; There are 17 known (listed by Dougan) confirmed brass framed .41 Blackhawks that the serial number starts with 40-215--. If you want to know if gun is a real brassie, PM me with the exact serial number. I will tell you privately if it is. I will also offer your friend $1,100.00 sight unseen if it on the list.

See what I mean by having a problem? Nice problem but a problem just the same.

Where is 41Nut on this?

SATCOM

street

Hunter
Here is a list of the Factory Brass Frame guns that Dougan shows. Hope your gun is in this list!!!

407322308.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
Just remember however, the list above is a very good reference point for probably 95+% of the factory brass framed .41's, but they are not all listed there.
Either way, you will still want to get a factory letter for that one.
Hope it turns out!!!
Chet15

street

Hunter
chet15 said:
Just remember however, the list above is a very good reference point for probably 95+% of the factory brass framed .41's, but they are not all listed there.
Either way, you will still want to get a factory letter for that one.
Hope it turns out!!!
Chet15
Yea! It's a shame that the only collector that had access to Factory Records missed so much. The sad thing about it so many new collectors think that, that book is the final say on Ruger Collecting. Although Dougans book is well worth the money and he shows so much that was made at the factory that we would not have known about, that to a collector it's a must have. Just wished it had been more complete.

smith1961

Blackhawk
Just looked at a 6.5 OM BH Brass framer that has been factory converted. the serial number was 40-22053. The condition was probably more or less in the very good range. I think it was like $595 at the LGS...Now I'm curious!

street

Hunter
smith1961 said:
Just looked at a 6.5 OM BH Brass framer that has been factory converted. the serial number was 40-22053. The condition was probably more or less in the very good range. I think it was like $595 at the LGS...Now I'm curious!
That one doesn't show up on the list but it is right in there with some that do. This one could be one of the 5% that is not included on the list. Only a factory letter will tell.

chet15

Hawkeye
smith1961 said:

I'd be real curious! The brass frame and trigger themselves are worth $300 to $350, then if it doesn't letter you've still got a cheap .41 Mag. that just needs an XR3-RED grip frame and OM trigger.
Sounds like an interesting one to speculate on at $595...when it could be worth twice that!
Chet15

smith1961

Blackhawk
chet15 said:
I'd be real curious! The brass frame and trigger themselves are worth $300 to $350, then if it doesn't letter you've still got a cheap .41 Mag. that just needs an XR3-RED grip frame and OM trigger.
Sounds like an interesting one to speculate on at $595...when it could be worth twice that!
Chet15

Chet! You're the man, and I'm a .41 freak. But I have a OM SBH from Monty, and the NM Blackhawk for $350 at this same LGS on layaway....I'm a little tapped out right now
:cry:

NorthForkID

Bearcat
I want to thank everyone who responded to my question. This is certainly the place for Ruger answers. The serial number is one of those on the list of Brass Framed 41 Blackhawks. Under the right grip, in the brass casting, is "MR-3DB". As suggested, I have a decision to make but I'm leaning toward sharing the information with my friend. I really only wanted a good shooter anyway.

Thank you, once again, for all your help and information. My decision may lead to my friend deciding to sell this revolver for more than I can afford. He needs the money so I may end up asking for suggestions concerning the best way to go about selling the revolver.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, your friend appears to have a rare one.
Here is what I suggest.
Tell him the truth. Tell him you want a shooter. Tell him it is worth more as a collectable. Tell him you'd like to have it, but to a collector, condition is very important. ASK him how much he wants, (after you share this info.) Then, if you can afford it, I'm sure a nice collector around this Forum will help you get a shooter grade AND replace some of the $$ spent.
You already know we will help with any information we know of. This would be the place to sell it or swap it.

flatgate

Hawkeye
FWIW, I've seen 2 or maybe 3 Brass Framed .41's in all my years of collecting Rugers. All were part of some advanced collectors displays. Of course, I live 60 miles from no where so I've little else to say.................. :D

flatgate

smith1961

Blackhawk
Well...
I stopped by the shop today and the .41 OM brass framer is still sitting there all lonely. Still $595. If anybody wants to contact the shop further, it's SL Gunshop in Mason N.H. They have it marked as Mass compliant too...If I wasn't so tapped I WOULD buy it, but somebody else might want to.
:(
Woody

Latest posts