My old MK1 and CCI Velocitor & Win. Hyper Vel HP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fas111

Bearcat
Due to the ammo shortage I will pick up just about anything I can find in 22LR. Just purchased a box each of CCI Velocitor and Winchester Hyper Velocity. The boxes indicate MV of 1435FPS. I purchased my MK1 in 1971 and it is my favorite 22 cal pistol.
I am wondering if any of you MK1 owners would venture to guess if this might be a little to hot for my old pal. I have plenty of other 22s I could use this in but if I could use this ammo in safely in the MK I would.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Unk

Bearcat
Here's my OLDER Standard with Tasco ProPoint..it is my drive-by prairie dog shooter and I have shot Velocitors with no issues...while not the most accurate in any of my .22LR I do like the ballistics for hunting as to velocity and energy and it's a 40 gr bullet compared to CCI MiniMags. Velocitors have gotten kind of high dollar so I don't plink with them.

I kind of doubt that you could damage any Ruger shooting factory ammunition for which the firearm was chambered.

Best.

Bunk40

Bearcat
It is my understanding that Ruger says NOT to shoot hypervelocity in Standard autos. You could email them or check the pistol manuals you can access from their website. I wouldn't shoot hypers in mine.

Blackhawk30

Single-Sixer
I've shot lots of stingers and yellowjackets thru Standard and MK2 pistols.No problems.Its only recently that Ruger has advised against use of hyper velocity ammo.Maybe it because of the slot cut in the side of the MK3 rcvr?
it would be a good idea for you to replce the recil spring with a new one tho.

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Jeepnik said:
Never had an issue in mine. And never heard that Ruger advised against it.
Here's a direct quote from the Sturm, Ruger website concerning use of hypervelocity ammunition in their .22 auto pistols. The main reason is the recoil assembly is set up to compensate for standard or high velocity ammunition but not hyper velocity. Battering or excessive wear of the bolt stop is a primary indicator of stress by using hyper velocity ammutition.

Ruger.com FAQ said:
What type of ammunition should I use in my Ruger .22 pistol?

The Ruger .22 pistols are chambered only for the .22 caliber Long Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high-velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry Standards. Do not attempt to load hyper velocity, .22 Long, .22 Short, or any other type .22 caliber cartridge into the magazine or in the chamber of the pistol. Use of .22 shot shells is not recommended.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye57 said:
Jeepnik said:
Never had an issue in mine. And never heard that Ruger advised against it.
Here's a direct quote from the Sturm, Ruger website concerning use of hypervelocity ammunition in their .22 auto pistols. The main reason is the recoil assembly is set up to compensate for standard or high velocity ammunition but not hyper velocity. Battering or excessive wear of the bolt stop is a primary indicator of stress by using hyper velocity ammutition.

Ruger.com FAQ said:
What type of ammunition should I use in my Ruger .22 pistol?

The Ruger .22 pistols are chambered only for the .22 caliber Long Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high-velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry Standards. Do not attempt to load hyper velocity, .22 Long, .22 Short, or any other type .22 caliber cartridge into the magazine or in the chamber of the pistol. Use of .22 shot shells is not recommended.

R,
Bullseye

Hmm, then again, Ruger also tells you not to use reloaded ammo. I'm wondering if a bit of lawyerism was involved in making the above statement.

Unk

Bearcat
OP asked about safety.

Could be that Ruger feels extended or occasional use of hyper-velocity may cause battering of the bolt stop and could increase component wear. I do not see that as a safety issue, based on my extensive use of Velocitors and Stingers in my Standard to date...guess steel on steel impact [bolt stop-receiver hole for same] could elongate the hole over time.

Interesting as I had never heard of that caveat and was not in my OEM manual.

Best.