RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:57 pm 
Hunter

Both of the last two posts before mine here might be the two most informative in this vast topic. Yes, I and many others have read the whole thing front to back but sometimes it takes certain words to make sense. I'll bet others got it finally now too. Guess what else....there will be someone else in the near future ask the same question again.

Thanks Jim and Cary (that looks a little odd, huh?). The details make sense.

I'd like to find a worn SS grip frame or an alloy one without dents no matter the condition of the blue (or would that be anodized) for a 1978 BN36 but I have no idea what to ask for. I can make either look like chrome with enough time as per my 10/22. See?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:24 am 
Hawkeye

Hi Gas Guzzler,

Your B36 is a the large size main frame. Look for either one in red below.
They came on the following New Model guns:
All blue single sixes, .22 and .32 calibers (except the 32 Mag Baby Vaquero style and Bisley 22s & 32s).
All full size Blackhawks (except NM Flat Top Blackhawks, and Bisleys).

Identification Numbers Marked on GRIP FRAMES (not including Super BH, Brass, Birdshead or Bearcat):

BLUE NM:
Large steel = A (in box) XR-3
Large alloy w/o lock marked: Early = NXR3-RED, Late = XRN-3RED. With lock XR & L
Small steel XR3 (Colt size) (cut for indexing pawl system, no extensions into main frame & only 7/16” thick) = A (in box)
Short steel 'Baby" Vaquero .32s = A (in box) XR-3. If ordered as parts = 302 A (in box)

BLUE OM:
Early Colt size alloy to 1962 = XR3
Late, large alloy to 1972 including Old Army alloy and Hawkeye alloy w/wide trigger slot = XR3-RED
Old Army steel 1985 with wide trigger slot = XRN-3

STAINLESS NM:
Large: Earliest = KXR-3, Next = KXR-3 with a separate N, Late = K (in circle) XRN-3
Small XR3 size (cut for indexing pawl system, no extensions into main frame & only 7/16” thick = K (in circle)
Short = KXR-3

STAINLESS Steel Old Army = KXR-3

There are a few dealer exclusive model exceptions. If I missed any someone is bound to correct me.

Rugers that have locks:

Aluminum XR3-RED's with L in the Cat. #. These are starting to show up w/o locks or L in cat #. 8/23/12.
The blue and stainless XR3 (Flattop & New Vaquero).
KXR3 RED, Bisley, blue steel XR3 RED SBH and SBH dragoon do not.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:27 pm 
Buckeye

ok i'm a little confused, I was looking at my brother's new model Super Blackhawk today and I happen to notice the frame is marked XR3 on the right side with a little A inside of a box in front of the XR3, Jim if I read your above post correctly this means the frame is an Early = NXR3-RED, Late = XRN-3RED?

here's some specs on the pistol,

new model Super Blackhawk.
44Mag.
serial number 85-*****. which I believe would make it mid 1987
steel frame (it's starting to turn a nice plum color :) ) marked A (inside of a box) XR3
5 1/2" barrel
can't do the 3" square test because it came with sambar stag grips when my dad bought it back in the 90's and the fit isn't great.

any ideas?

Last edited by LSCG on Tue May 21, 2013 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:17 am 
Hawkeye

Hi LSCG,

Some of the casting marks are really bad, but if you look real close at the casting mark you should see that it's not XR3 but rather XR-3 (or at least a space between the R and 3) which would be correct for the 5 1/2" SBH. It's this one from above:
"BLUE NM:
Large steel = A (in box) XR-3"

It's not the Early = NXR3-RED or Late = XRN-3RED, those are both aluminum frames. SBHs all have steel frames regardless of size. Correct, made in 1987.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:45 pm 
Buckeye

Hondo44 wrote:
Hi LSCG,

Some of the casting marks are really bad, but if you look real close at the casting mark you should see that it's not XR3 but rather XR-3 (or at least a space between the R and 3) which would be correct for the 5 1/2" SBH. It's this one from above:
"BLUE NM:

It's not the Early = NXR3-RED or Late = XRN-3RED, those are both aluminum frames. SBHs all have steel frames regardless of size. Correct, made in 1987.

just checked and you're right Jim, there is a space between the R and the 3, which means it's not an OM frame right?

Zane.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:43 pm 
Hawkeye

LSCG wrote:
Hondo44 wrote:
Hi LSCG,

"BLUE NM:

just checked and you're right Jim, there is a space between the R and the 3, which means it's not an OM frame right?

Zane.

Old model grip frames have the hole behind where the trigger would be for the trigger return spring.

New model grip frames have the spring at the top of the frame. A dowel pin holds it in place and the two legs hook over a pin at the top of the frame.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:11 pm 
Hawkeye

LSCG wrote:

Zane.

Zane that's correct it's not an OM frame.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:05 am 
Buckeye

Hondo44 wrote:
LSCG wrote:

Zane.

Zane that's correct it's not an OM frame.

thanks Jim! I guess I was just hoping for the best. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:13 am 
Buckeye

caryc wrote:
LSCG wrote:
Hondo44 wrote:
Hi LSCG,

"BLUE NM:

Zane.

Old model grip frames have the hole behind where the trigger would be for the trigger return spring.

New model grip frames have the spring at the top of the frame. A dowel pin holds it in place and the two legs hook over a pin at the top of the frame.

checked again and it's the new model, it's got the dowel pin and the two legs.

thanks Cary!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:41 pm 
Bearcat

There were a few single sixes made in .32 H&R that had a shorter than normal grip frame. I can't be for sure the ones I saw were in stainless ,don't remember if there were any blue ones .... I do know that a standard plow handle frame would fit the gun frame as well .....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:26 pm 
Hawkeye

Mohillbilly wrote:
There were a few single sixes made in .32 H&R that had a shorter than normal grip frame. I can't be for sure the ones I saw were in stainless ,don't remember if there were any blue ones .... I do know that a standard plow handle frame would fit the gun frame as well .....

Actually, the majority of the Vaquero style .32 single six magnums came with the short grip frames while only 500 blue and 500 stainless guns came with the standard length grip frames.

And true, the two sizes of grip frames do interchange.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:01 pm 
Bearcat

I am still confused about the frame of my gun, I have the Super Blackhawk Talo 3.75 in 44. The frame is stamped "New Model Super Blackhawk". For example if I wanted to or a set of Hogue Rubber grips.....what do I order? On Hogues site it says the grips will fit a New Model Blackhawn but doesnt say New Model SUPER Blackhawk. I am confused.

– Michael Garabaldi

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:54 pm 
Ruger Guru

Easy way is go to the 1st page of this thread, scroll down to 11th post by "Caryc". Look at his 3" square, draw you one just like it and lay your grip panel on it....wala, you can see what you have.
Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:58 pm 
Hawkeye

Voodoosan,

The SBHs with barrels lengths of 5 1/2" or less came with the standard XR3-RED 'size' grip frame which is the same as the standard Blackhawk. Therefore the Hogue grips for a New Model Blackhawk are correct for your Talo SBH.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:25 pm 
Bearcat

Hondo44 wrote:
Voodoosan,

The SBHs with barrels lengths of 5 1/2" or less came with the standard XR3-RED 'size' grip frame which is the same as the standard Blackhawk. Therefore the Hogue grips for a New Model Blackhawk are correct for your Talo SBH.

So I got a Hogue #83000 which says it fits XR3-RED but a lot of the backstrap of the frame hangs out. Hogue sells 84000 which is for a SBH with the square trigger. I dont get it. Im tired of going back and forth exchanging out grips.

– Michael Garabaldi

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next