4" Redhawk 44 magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
I have a chance to pick one of these up. Anyone here shooting one?
I'd like some feedback. I'm thinking good medicine for east Tx hogs.
Thanks.
Beruisis

RKBA4CA

Single-Sixer
Will kick a lot.
But you can load down 44 mag or use 44 spcl.
Packmayr presentation is great for large hands.

98Redline

Blackhawk
Great gun.

I have one in 5 1/2" that is perfect medicine for porkers. Takes the "oink" right out of em.

Backlighting

Single-Sixer
98Redline said:
Great gun.

I have one in 5 1/2" that is perfect medicine for porkers. Takes the "oink" right out of em.
..and puts them right on the barbeque grill. lol

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
I would prefer the 5.5" tube.
I have three 45 ACP/AR revolvers in 5" or 5.5" that I enjoy.
But looking for a bit more power.
Do they still make the 5.5 barrel length?
Beruisis

98Redline

Blackhawk
No the 5 1/2" Redhawk is no longer made, however there are a number of them available on Armslist and Gunbroker.

As I recall, a couple were reasonably priced given the current madness.

The Redhawk is pretty much built like a tank, there is not much that you can do to hurt them. A used one may have some scuffs and marks, but most can be taken out with a gray Scotchbrite pad and some elbow grease.

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
98Redline said:
No the 5 1/2" Redhawk is no longer made, however there are a number of them available on Armslist and Gunbroker.

As I recall, a couple were reasonably priced given the current madness.

The Redhawk is pretty much built like a tank, there is not much that you can do to hurt them. A used one may have some scuffs and marks, but most can be taken out with a gray Scotchbrite pad and some elbow grease.

I concur, I love my .44 5&1/2" Redhawk but, I've read on the net about the current 4"ers having their barrels screwed in askew?
Steve

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Beruisis said:
I would prefer the 5.5" tube.
I have three 45 ACP/AR revolvers in 5" or 5.5" that I enjoy.
But looking for a bit more power.
Do they still make the 5.5 barrel length?
Beruisis

KRH-445 5004 44 Rem Mag Hardwood 5.50"

Still in the catalog, but they are produced in infrequent batches. No idea when you might see a "new" one. Plenty of used ones around though.

captainkirk

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
My 4" started as a 7 1/2" and I cut it down.It was super accurate and I liked the balance of it better as a 4",not to mention the way it packed,didn't drag on the truck seat etc.Barrel length is mostly a matter of personal preference though.Get the one that you like.Mine took deer out to almost 100 yds,always plowing clean through.The Redhawks and Super Redhawks are very strong revolvers.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
I have one. I replaced the Hogues with OEM wood grips. I carry it as back up when muzzleloader hunting or when I'm hiking in hog country. It is a heavy gun. The load I use is a 310grain FP at 1050 FPS. The weight makes these loads real tolerable.

As a backup the 4" is, IMO the best bet. If it is what you are hunting with the 7.5" is probably a better choice.

Not long ago I purchased a Ruger 45 cal convertable. I actually like it better.

Corbi

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have a 4" 44 and a 45 Colt. Mine has the factory Hogues which are a little big for my short fingers. . Handles full-house loads easily and more accurate than me anyday. Definitely a good length for totin'.

Get it and enjoy, :wink:

32magfan

CaptBullets

Bearcat
I too have a 4" Redhawk in 44 Magnum. It's my favorite 44 Magnum. I was going to have a 5.5" cut down to 4" but then Ruger made it a factory item and I snapped up the first one I could find.

The one thing I do not like about the Redhawk are the Hogues rubber grips that it came with. They do good job absorbing recoil its just the finger grooves don't work well for my hands. I replaced the Hogues with a pair of the original slim style grips.

Other than the grips, which are easily replaced, its a great gun.

Brian

I have a 4 inch Redhawk, that goes with me to Alaska. I generally shoot 310 gr WFN
Bullets with 14 grs. of 2400. It shoots good and accurate. I prefer the Hogues over wood for extended shooting. The wood is tops for looks.
gramps

packingheat

Bearcat
This thread needs a picture.
9feafefaea6c30597ed4537f5742248a_zps5b95bc23.jpg

41manor44

Single-Sixer
I have both the 44 and 45 in the 4" barrel. Like both very much. I replaced the Hogue bantam grips with a set of Altamont grips with some checkering on the 44 and an original Redhawk set on the 45.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
Had one as pictured above and like a idiot ,,,traded it off...great gun .....I recently replaced it with this...

SmskpX39d.jpg