Ruger 1911 Commander size coming out?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
Hawkeye: the frame cracked at the slide stop hole. Knowing what I know now, I would have drilled a stop hole and it might have lasted a lot longer.

Best approach would be for alloy frames to have a hardened steel insert at the feed ramp area.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Dienekes said:
Hawkeye: the frame cracked at the slide stop hole. Knowing what I know now, I would have drilled a stop hole and it might have lasted a lot longer.

Best approach would be for alloy frames to have a hardened steel insert at the feed ramp area.
Thanks and I agree with you about a steel insert for the feed ramp. One of my Commanders has slight "dimples" in the ramp from being hit by hardball ammo.

BTW, I've heard of/seen steel 1911 frames cracked at the slide stop hole. This seems to be caused by, of all things, letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber. (That's also extremelly hard on staked oversized front sights, among other parts.)

dakota1911

Buckeye
SR1911 Commander came with 2 7 round mags. Maybe one could put an 8 round in there. Duh they work.

sr1911boxes3.jpg

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I have and had no idea where to find one around her in the NNW, so I burrowed into the back of one of the steel boxes and found an electoless Nickled Colt Commander in 9mm that had been converted by Mr. Ugly(you know, like a US military rear adjustable sight and an ugly high front sight, with a fixed guide rod and 38 super barrel) Now back to "normal" sights and in 9mm. The complete 9mm similarly finished top end I bought from JohnNu, my long time Friend. standing by as backup, along with the 38 super parts, 8 clips and some high end super ammo. I'll find an SR'11 Commander somewhere/sometime...... 8) :!:

Cholo

Staff member
HAWKEYE#28 said:
I'll find an SR'11 Commander somewhere/sometime...

...and I come home from a gun show in early Jan. thinking I'd just bought an SR1911 but had a CMD instead for $649 OTD :lol:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
A consecutively SN'd pair of SR1911 Commanders arrived from South Texas this past Thursday. Traded a three digit Flatgate that was an extra. I remain curious regarding the inability to depress the slide release to allow pulling the slide back on an empty Ruger clip, while I can do so if I use/fully insert any of the 6(minty) GI 1911A1 clips that happened to be on the bench...............It seems to me that the Ruger clips are just a mite "high" where they come in contact with the innards of the slide release, when the clip has no rounds in it. :roll:

wlhawk

Bearcat
After a few months of searching to find a CMD, I finally found one a few weeks ago. The first few trips to the range have been excellent.

eveled said:
ruggedruger said:
1911-noob question: Is the original sr1911 considered a "Government" model? (I thought the commander has the same length of grip but shorter barrel).

You are correct, the full size sr1911 ships with a standard flush fit 7 round mag, and an extended 8 round mag. Both would work in the commander, but Ruger is apparently shipping the commander with 2 flush fit standard 7 rounders. BTW, they also offer a really long 10 rounder. Ed.

I'll bet the 10 rounder makes it AW under CT's new law as the mag will extend conspiculously below the grip

revhigh

Hawkeye
If you can't get the job done with 7 rounds .... You won't get it done with 8 ...

Rev

mbott

Bearcat
My new commander sized SR1911 went to the range yesterday for the first time. Took along my fullsized SR1911. I actually think I shot the commander slightly better than the fullsize. I'm OK with that. :)

--
Mike

Latest posts