.41 Mag Vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Never too late, there's tons of original large frame Vaqueros available. Barrels for the large frame and New Vaq mid-frame interchange; same thread size.

Find a 357 Vaq, rechamber the cylinder and look for a 41 barrel on ebay or gunbroker. Harder to find if you want a barrel in stainless or just polish out a blued barrel, no one will know except you.

gak

Buckeye
I'd love to have one in the midframe - it's in line with the same idea for a .38-40/.40 and 32-20/.327 - vying for my same .357 NV donor! They never made a large frame .41 Vaquero, so I assume you guys are talking about swapping in a Blackhawk barrel and installing a V/NV front sight.

smith1961

Blackhawk
Okay cool so either model Vaquero could be done. As I understand the easiest would be the "new" Vaquero by just reaming out the .357 cylinder and installing .41 BH barrel and making it look vaquero?
Thanks!
:D

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It wouldn't be the easiest conversion but the easiest way to convert a New Vaquero would be as you said. Standard loads for .41 mag would fit fine. But extra long bullets may push the limits of the cyl length.

The easiest conversion would be the original Vaquero by swapping cyl and barrel for a Ruger BH .41 cylinder and barrel.

NorEaster

Blackhawk
Great idea! Makes me want to find a pair of original Vaquero Bisley's in .357
Get a couple of 6.5" barrels and have them cut back to 5.5" and have the original blade front sights put on them
Send them off to Turnbull for color on the frame and hammer and get one of our forum member grip makers to whip up holly grips for them...
Drooling just thinking about it

Hondo44

Hawkeye
One of them had them on the New Model flat top large frame with all steel parts and indexing pawl so chambers index properly with loading gate in 4 5/8 and 6 1/2" and they can still be found on GB, etc.

We need to lobby Jason from Lipsey for a mid frame New Vaq. Only 1000 PSI more than 357 @ 35000 PSI.

smith1961

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
We need to lobby Jason from Lipsey for a mid frame New Vaq. Only 1000 PSI more than 357 @ 35000 PSI.

I triple-dog dare everybody on the forum to do this...Where do I sign? :lol:

I like the way you think Snappy. I also have on old model 357 frame down a Alan Hartons along with a birds head grip frame and a Smith & Wesson model 58 41 barrel that is going to become an old model vaquero style shop keeper in 41 with a heavy 3" barrel, no ER and a bisley spurred hammer. I think I might call it my little pocket rocket! I just have not decided if I want it to be 41 Mag or 41 Special.

pulaski

Single-Sixer
I had this done several years ago . Great shooting gun , but I'm a 41mag. nut .
Won the revolver at a DU type dinner and didn't want the 44mag. so I sent it to Reeder and had the work done .
Like everything about the revolver except the flame (faux B&C) finish on the frame . Need to find someone that will do the real bone and charcoal finish .
One more thing , when I sent it to Reeder I asked that it shoot POA with a 220 gr. cast bullet and it does that really well .
Thanks , pulaski

snappy

Single-Sixer
Robb Barnes said:
I like the way you think Snappy. I also have on old model 357 frame down a Alan Hartons along with a birds head grip frame and a Smith & Wesson model 58 41 barrel that is going to become an old model vaquero style shop keeper in 41 with a heavy 3" barrel, no ER and a bisley spurred hammer. I think I might call it my little pocket rocket! I just have not decided if I want it to be 41 Mag or 41 Special.

Wow Robb! Can't wait to see the pocket rocket! That will be a special piece. Please keep us posted on your progress. 8)

smith1961

Blackhawk
Well....anybody else give any further thought to lobbying for a distributor to get a version of this produced? Can we get an e-petition or something going?
:?