single six .32 H&R

Help Support Ruger Forum:

"The fact that a SS can handle .327 mag really shows how overbuilt and tough these little guns are."

Well, Ruger doesn't think so, apparently, or they'd offer it up as an available chambering.

We all know that Rugers are tough (witness the "Ruger only" loadings for the .45 Blackhawks), and we've heard no bad reports from Single-Sixes chambered in 327 (so far). The thing we don't know is what Ruger's safety factor is, and how much the 327 infringes on that. I cannot quote numbers right off, but I recall the 327 having pressures CONSIDERABLY in excess of the .32 H&R.

All that said, I still find the 327 Single-Six to be hugely attractive. Haven't yet arranged for one, however.

:)

captainkirk

Blackhawk
meshugunner said:
I'd love to have a SS chambered in 32mag/.327.

I'm curious why Terry started with a .22 since SS's are available in .32mag?

The fact that a SS can handle .327 mag really shows how overbuilt and tough these little guns are.

Probably for the Old Model lockwork.

captainkirk

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
So the bullets stick out the front of the chambers, but the arrangement works because of barrel/cylinder gap and headspace allowing the cylinder to rotate?

Cases not completely seated in the chambers at firing . . . ie, not completely chambering on the case rims?

Ale,

That's correct, with the the cartridge rims fully seated tight to the rear face of the cylinder, you can see the bullets just barely stick out the front of the cylinder but they rotate into firing position without any interference whatsoever. I knew the bullets would stick out before reaming the chambers but figured I would just run the factory cartridges thru my seating die and seat them about .005" deeper. There's at least .010" of room left in the crimp cannalur to seat the bullets deeper. But imagine my surprise to find they functioned fine just as they came from the factory.

I think you're absolutely right that the issue with Ruger in chambering the 327 in the single six is one of strength; not being able to get their usual 'twice normal pressure' margin of safety. Although so many customs have been made and used now w/o problems. The frame window is certainly adequate if they just lengthened the cyl.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
meshugunner said:
I'd love to have a SS chambered in 32mag/.327.

I'm curious why Terry started with a .22 since SS's are available in .32mag?

The fact that a SS can handle .327 mag really shows how overbuilt and tough these little guns are.

Meshugunner,

It wasn't Terry. I started with a 3 screw because I like 3 screws, especially the single six with the drift adjustable rear sight. Also I had the gun already and I thought a 3 screw 327 Fed Mag would be unique. Now I have converted two NM .32 SSs to 327 Mag as well. And happy with all three.

sheep.dog

Single-Sixer
Darn now I am really hooked.
Hey Hondo anyway I could convince you to ream the cylinder for me?

dougader

Hunter
I think 32 HRM is supposed to run at SAAMI specs of 21,000 psi. 327 Fed can run to 45,000 psi.

I'm thinking the loads that Brian Pearce listed for the 32HRM are closer to 35,000 - 36,000 psi (same as the 357 and 44 mag). All I can say is my SS handles the 100 grain xtp over 11.8 grains of 296 with ease. No flattened primers and cases fall from the chambers after firing.

I imagine the cylinders that Hamilton Bowen uses, and sells, are heat treated to handle the 327 FM pressures of 45k psi. I have no idea what the Ruger Single Six cylinder is able to handle on a regular basis... maybe it'll be fine with 327 FM, maybe not.

I would think the SS cylinders are heat treated, but maybe not quite enough for 327 FM?

Most people I know with 327 SS's have had a Bowen cylinder fit to the gun. Hondo 44 has the only experience with the 32 HRM cylinders reamed to 327.

Bowen and others have reamed 32 HRM SP101's to hold 327 FM and they seem to be fine. The questions is, I guess, are the SS cylinders as durable/strong as the SP101 cylinders?

peyton

Single-Sixer
This is an interesting idea, I only have about 6 32's that I would love to be able to fire 327 out of. Put me on the list to borrow a 327 reamer.

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
meshugunner said:
It wasn't Terry. I started with a 3 screw because I like 3 screws, especially the single six with the drift adjustable rear sight. Also I had the gun already and I thought a 3 screw 327 Fed Mag would be unique. Now I have converted two NM .32 SSs to 327 Mag as well. And happy with all three.

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up Hondo. Very fine and interesting piece of work.

I'd love to have a SS in .327 mag. Could kick myself for passing up a nickel SS in .32H&R for $400 (and the vendor said he would deal) at a gun show last year.

My guess (based on near total ignorance) is that the SS is well capable of handling the pressure from a .327 but then it would just be a regular gun, not overbuilt by a factor of 2 so Ruger won't do it. (I think someone made this point above)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
peyton said:
This is an interesting idea, I only have about 6 32's that I would love to be able to fire 327 out of. Put me on the list to borrow a 327 reamer.

Hi Peyton,

Because of the time the reamer spends in the mail, it will take too long for everyone to rent. So I've decided to request that people send cylinders to me. I'm all set up to ream them and I can do dozens in a day if the reamer is in my possession. Contribution is the same, shipping both ways plus $5 to help replace the reamer when it wears out. It's not a business and I'm not in it to make money, just help out my local friends and friends on the forum.

I've shot 100s of factory .327 FM rounds thru my three .32s since I reamed the cyls to .327 with no ill effect, there are no pressure signs on the primers and the cases usually fall from the chambers (it also didn't hurt that my new sharp reamer leaves a smoother surface in the chamber), but I want to make everyone aware of the pressures as Dougader noted above.
The .32 H&R Mag is rated at 21,000 cup and taking into account that Ruger designs for a 100% overbuild safety margin, the Ruger single six .32 cyl is good for at least 42,000 cup: the .327 Fed Mag is rated at 45,000 cup. Although I also handload the cartridge, I do not "hotrod" it or exceed factory pressures.
Of course in the .32 Mag/.32-20 convertible Blackhawk 'Buckeye' cylinders I ream to .327 Fed Mag, this is a non-issue.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Please send Hondo a little more than he asks when applying for this service. His help to all in other ways more than requires our respect. I'll let him answer for himself but now I see he might help with a similar operation for other hybrids. Up to him it is.

sheep.dog

Single-Sixer
I too was thinking $5 was a little low so will send some goodies from VT along with my cylinder and it does happen to be sugaring season here.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
A comment, nothing more. Have a stainless Birdshead .32, and a standard 6.5" blued from the mid '80's. Working with some of Brian Pierce's loads with AA9 (from memory around 10 grains, which is the 10% lower charge), and a 115 g cast slug in starline .32 H&R brass. A very accurate load, but the blued one was peening the base pin (a soft one?). When funds allow, plan to get the Belt Mountain replacement for the blued one, and also the cross pin.

As 2Dogs is fond of saying, they are the most fun you can have with you clothes on, or at least up there on the list...

gak

Buckeye
M'BOGO said:
As 2Dogs is fond of saying, they are the most fun you can have with you clothes on, or at least up there on the list...

+1 Truer words never spoken--at least in the firearms world - I'm thinking blasting down the Big Sur stretch of the PCH in a capable sports car be another one competing for the title! I've said many times - ..32 H&R (even in often derided milder factory loads) and Single Six perhaps the best/most natural mating of cartridge and gun, like they were designed/made/destined for one another. What I've also said of the .44 Special.and midframes. What the SAA "would have been intro'd as, had they only known"...especially had smokeless been around.

TinStarFirearms

Single-Sixer
These .32 Single Sixes have totally taken over my reloading and shooting life. I started with a birdshead in blue in 2005 and have since added a 6.5" New Model and most recently a 9.5." It is just the most perfect mating of cartridge to firearm I have found for me.

Andrew

Sheriff

Single-Sixer
Usually have one in the pickup or on my hip when I'm 'out and about'. Handy little shooter 'as is'.

Tuesdayshunt001_zpsbe601e1f.jpg

gak

Buckeye
Just something special about the .32 and the guns that shoot them. Except for a family .22 and .38, my first gun was a brand new .32 H&R Ruger - a 5.5" adj sight as one of the first out of the chute in 1984. The first (and second and...) time I shot it I had grin from ear to ear...and this was with factory loads at the time. I had not owned but shot revolvers everything from .22 to .38/.357 and .44 Mag - a lot - but nothing as viscerally pleasing as the .32 combo. Still.

street

Hunter
Hondo44 !!! It's a shame that you are not working for Ruger. If you were we would get some really neat stuff from the factory!!! :p You have some great ideas.

Latest posts