Ruger Mark III Government Target Model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TXn_Ruger

Bearcat
I have a like-new in the box Ruger Mark III Government Target model that I got in trade.

Model # 10117
Catalog # MKIII678G

I spoke with Ruger records department and I was told that there were approximately 200 units made and sent to one distributor and then production of this model was ceased.

Does anyone have anymore information on this gun? Value? I have never seen them on gunbroker or anywhere else for sale.

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
Interesting. I have a MK II Gov't Target Model, stainless model. Mine is not drilled and tapped and did not include the scope mount base like I see in your picture. Mine is extremely accurate. Has the factory target with it too.

alecmcmahon

Bearcat
kacher1 said:
Here's one that sold for 680 on Gunbroker this month.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=314019015

Edit: Nuts! This thread is almost 2 months old.

I have this same exact model (sans box ) I picked up used a couple years ago for $260

It's very accurate, fast, and perfectly balanced. This is my Steel challenge gun for Iron Rimfire division.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I have the stainless slab side 5 1/2" version that I shoot quite frequently in Steel Challenge. I have a JPoint reflex sight on mine.

FlyerTom

Single-Sixer
kacher1 said:
Here's one that sold for 680 on Gunbroker this month.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=314019015

Edit: Nuts! This thread is almost 2 months old.

What makes this gun so special (read: expensive)? I have the same model (with the box) that I purchased in March of 2011 for $330 from Davidson's. If I had known that the original would demand such a high price, I wouldn't have added the fiber optic front sight, cocobolo grips and Speed Strip kit.
I guess I could always put it back the way it was if, indeed, there's a reason for such a high resale value.

chet15

Hawkeye
FlyerTom said:
What makes this gun so special (read: expensive)? I have the same model (with the box) that I purchased in March of 2010 for $330 from Davidson's. If I had known that the original would demand such a high price, I wouldn't have added the fiber optic front sight, cocobolo grips and Speed Strip kit.
I guess I could always put it back the way it was if, indeed, there's a reason for such a high resale value.

Simple answer...Ruger never cataloged it!
They must have taken the left over "G" 6-7/8" bull barrels from the Mark II series and used them up early on with the uncataloged MKIII678G.
To date, I only have two serial numbers on these, so if you guys want to send your sn's to me via PM, I can add them to the list of known guns (I only keep the sn info, not your names...so no worrys). Maybe we can establish a known sn range for this rare model.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Ruger originally got a Gov't contract for a 6-7/8" bull barreled Mark II model in 1984 and produced over 18,000 of them with U.S. markings, all beginning with 210-00001. Once the contract was completed, Ruger decided it would be a good model to sell to the civilian market so continued serial numbering of the model up to 210-50000 before they filled out the block and continued making them in (in random blocks) beginning about 215-10xxx and up.
It was a very popular model! Which is why I don't know why Ruger decided not to continue it in the Mark III series.
Chet15

FlyerTom

Single-Sixer
I made a correction on purchase date for my MkIII Government . I found my original sighting-in target and the date was 2011, not 2010 as originally posted. It is, indeed, one of those 'rare' birds that weren't cataloged, and fer sure, it's accuracy is better than the High Standard I used in pistol competitions years ago.

Coop

Blackhawk
Well, my Ruger Mark II version of this particular firearm is the most accurate semi-automatic .22 LR pistol in my collection. I bought it in mid 1995. The plastic case is stamped 3/94. However, its S/N is 219-95XXX, so it may have hibernated in my dealers case for a long time. It has a Red Dot sight on it, and can shoot dime sized groups at 50 yards. It has had over 35,000 .22 LR cartridges thru it since I purchased it in 1995.

One of my favorites.

PS: Oh, BTW, it is stamped as a "Government Target Model" on the right side of the Barrel/receiver between the ejection port and the bolt Ear, under the rear sight.

Coop

chet15

Hawkeye
Coop said:
PS: Oh, BTW, it is stamped as a "Government Target Model" on the right side of the Barrel/receiver between the ejection port and the bolt Ear, under the rear sight.

Coop

Yes, all the Mark II Governments are rollmarked that way.
Are the Mark III's?
Chet15

filson

Bearcat
chet 15...
PM'd you with the serial numbers of my mkIII government target models. am new at this did you receive the PM?
regards,
filson

obdocab

Bearcat
My wife regularity out shoots me with her govt target model. I shoot with the slab sided competition target model. She shoots 10 shot whithin a dime group. My groups are quarter sized, at 25 yards, anyway. She hit 10/10 golf balls at 50 yards. I think it is the gun, I'd outshoot her otherwise

chet15

Hawkeye
filson said:
chet 15...
PM'd you with the serial numbers of my mkIII government target models. am new at this did you receive the PM?
regards,
filson

Yes, got it. Thank you very much!!
I've noted six of these now, in two very small sn blocks.
Chet15