ruger 77/50 209 conversion kits instructions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi i need the instructions on changing over to the 209 on a 77/50

i purchased a use rifle last year and it came with the kit but no instructions on how to do the change over , can any one talk me thru it ?

any load / powder suggestion would be nice as well

Chief 101

Hunter
there must be more than one kit for this conversion. The one Ive seen uses and replacement bolt and replacement breechblock. Bolt is simple replacement. Breechblock is unscrewed with breechblock tool supplied with 77/50. New Tool should come with conversion kit. The block will be SS but should still be coated with antiseize grease. My gun came with the conversion already done, didn't shoot for beans so I took it back to original and it is a tackdriver now. Goodluck...Chief aka Maxx Load

sorry i should have been more clear , but was in a hurry when i posted , I have several other black powder guns so i am aware of do's and don'ts with BP , what i need to know with this kit is how to change the front of the bolt, this one you have to take the Ruger bolt apart and change out the front part and put in a differnet firing pin maybe?

Chief 101

Hunter
Mine had a aftermarket bolt so I would need to look it up in a parts diagram. I would think the bolt would come apart similar to any other Ruger bolt. Yes you will need another firing pin that works with the shotgun primer. You might post this in the "gunsmithing" section, sure you would get an answer there.
Sorry

BadgerRidge

Bearcat
We sell the best Ruger 77/50 209 conversion. Seals the breech, stops the firing pin from being shot rearward (which frequently breaks the sear) and allows one to use Black Horn 209 powder. http://www.badgerridgeind.com/the-badgers-den/category/ruger-7750

feeding-3_orig.jpg

We also have the original manual hosted on our website: http://www.badgerridgeind.com/ruger7750.html

Bolt disassembly is detailed in the manual but is really easy, twist the bolt plug clockwise (like you were trying to tighten a screw), it will pop out of the cocked notch, then place a 3/32 pin (or a drill bit if that is all you have) in the hole on the cocking piece, then twist counter clockwise (like you are unscrewing it) and you can remove the firing pin assembly.

If you are having miss fires, I'd strip the firing pin assembly all the way down (but you really need a bolt tool for that). I have examples on how to make one if you have a welder and some stock, and some skills. I'm working on selling those too. http://www.badgerridgeind.com/firing-pin-tool.html

If you don't want to tear it down, I can do it for you too: http://www.badgerridgeind.com/store/p51/MainspringReplacement

Hope to help.

Tom

daveg.inkc

Hunter
That's a good set up. 209 is placed in bolt. My 77/50 209 places primer in breech plug it works fine, but this is different. May have to try it. As far as changing striker on bolt,, I did both of mine at kitchen table. Take bolt down like usual for cleaning. Then relieve spring pressure.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
This is not a simple swap. This requires bolt to be cut down. The ones I have were made in Canada. It changes firing pin. I believe mine works just fine after reading the prices

Chief 101

Hunter
I like that setup but it would not be legal in Idaho. Rules are the ignitor must be visible when rifle is ready to fire. It is legal during regular all weapon season...I don't feel undergunned with my stock 77/50, even for the Wapiti season.

BadgerRidge

Bearcat
daveg.inkc said:
This is not a simple swap. This requires bolt to be cut down. The ones I have were made in Canada. It changes firing pin. I believe mine works just fine after reading the prices

You are correct that it isn't a simple swap, and cuts the protrusion off of the nose that Ruger made to re-direct blow back... the protrusion must be cut off, and the face of the bolt finished to allow the new nose to be pressed in. The Canadian mods work, but send blow back into the bolt, at anyone or anything near the breech, and through the hole in the bottom of the action... I hope more than removing and cleaning the bolt, that you are removing the entire action after each shot to clean under there.

ruger-blowback-in-recess-with-cap_orig.jpg

Plus there are many broken sears from the firing pin being driven backwards by blow back with the Canadian mod...

Our conversion is made and installed in the USA... stops blow back, and stops sears from being sheared. Also allows you to use BlackHorn209. Quality costs.

As for hunting in Idaho, we sell complete bolts too... so you can swap between exposed systems for the special muzzle loader hunts, and seal the breech for the others.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
You are correct about the sears. The good thing is, you can buy trigger and sear for 77/22 from Brownells. My first 77/50 ruined the sear by using Canadian made 209 kit. I replaced with 77/22 sear.

Latest posts