Breaking in the SR9c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cluznar

Bearcat
I own a SR9c and I have a friend who owns one. My friend only fired a box of 147gr ammo and a ten and 17 round mag of his carry ammo Hornady Critical Defense, then started carrying it.

Can you agree with this? I fired 50 rounds of 147gr, 50 rounds of 125gr, then 100 rounds of 115gr before I carried mine.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Everybody has their own comfort level. I shot quite a few hundred rounds through mine before carrying it, but then I had to wait a month and a half after purchasing it before my CWP arrived in the mail. If my card was in the week I bought it, and I had around a hundred rounds through it with no problems, then I would probably have carried it.

A lot depends on whether you have other options to carry. If it were your only weapon suitable to carry, then I would rather have an untested weapon with me, than just a cell phone.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
My Sr9, Sr40, SR40c, LC9 and LCP have been so dependable that i would have no problem carrying one after shooting one magazine out of it. None of those pistols have ever had any problems with any type of ammo.

Bruiser

Single-Sixer
When I first got my 9c, it was having issues with trigger resetting. Sent it in, they replaced the trigger parts, and now works beautifully. I''ve read in various places 300 rounds + 5-10 of your carry ammo and if no problems, go for it. That's what I ended up doing.

Danno

Bearcat
Some say 200 rounds without a failure, some say more, some say less. I tend to agree that it's whatever is in your comfort zone.

I do not carry - yet. Have a Utah CHL but going for my Texas license soon.

But I can say this. I have probably 500 rounds thru my SR9c, mostly WWB and Federal, and a box of JHPs. Not one failure. Zero. Zip. Nada. No problem feeding or ejecting. They all went bang.

I am very impressed with this pistol. Fits my hand wonderfully with either mag, easy to get on target, has a trigger with little, if any, take up and breaks like glass. As much as I liked my old P95 there is just no comparison.

And while I might be in the minority here, I actually like having the external safety and LCI.

Would I trust mine for carry? Absolutely.

cluznar

Bearcat
I see that SR9c owners are very confident in the gun, just as I am. I could have started carrying mine sooner but I felt a little over 200 rounds is a good break-in and as you say I had another carry gun.

Hrothgar

Bearcat
Before I got my concealed carry permit on September 14th I put 300-350 rounds through mine.

MikeyLikeCarbonFiber

Single-Sixer
I put 50 down range the day I bought mine. Then went home, cleaned it and starting carrying it. I've put well over 500 down it by now and never one issue.

Rockford

Bearcat
I've got close to 500 rounds, mostly Federal range ammo, but also 20 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty. Not one problem with any of it. I don't expect my permit for another month or so, and will probably put some more of the Defensive ammo through it. But with the zero issues I've had, I wouldn't hesitate to start carrying it right now.

50 rounds of Magtech, Aguila and even steel case Tula and not a problem. I am impressed so far with the accuracy and comfort this baby has. I will be carrying this as soon as my holster arrives this week.

1bearz

Bearcat
I put about 350 downrange with mine before I started to carry. The reason for the delay was the permit getting to me in the mail. Since I received my permit I have only carried my SR9C and feel very comfortable that it is reliable and will do what I need it to do when I activate the bang switch.

Verndog

Blackhawk
I gave my 9c 300 rounds then another 40 of carry ammo before I started to carry it. Only took about a week to accomplish that 8)

Lateck

Single-Sixer
I've had great success with my Rugers....
No issues, even with taking them brand new, un-cleaned, to the range to shoot. :shock:
But running some rounds (XXX number) through any firearm is a smart thing to do, if only to learn how it feels/reacts.

Lateck,

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Lateck said:
I've had great success with my Rugers....
No issues, even with taking them brand new, un-cleaned, to the range to shoot. :shock:
But running some rounds (XXX number) through any firearm is a smart thing to do, if only to learn how it feels/reacts.

Lateck,

Agree!

woodchuckssuck

Bearcat
I put 150 trouble free rounds through mine Saturday, when I picked it up. I will put another 110 rounds through it hopefully tomorrow before work. 10 are reloads to see if I can get Ramshot Zip to give me enough oomph to cycle the gun. If not I will have to switch powders. Should work.

I don't have a holster yet, waiting on one to come (sometime mid-week) but I want 300 or so rounds without trouble before I carry.

Kevets

Bearcat
Ruger told me they consider 175 rounds the decision point. That's where it will show either reliability or lack thereof.

woodchuckssuck

Bearcat
260 through mine as of Monday. No issues! LOVE this gun!

4.3gr of Ramshot Zip under a 115gr Winchester FMJ seems to be the trick. The 10 reloads fired seemed to show better accuracy than the Federal "Champion" bulk rounds from walmart. I will get a box of 50 loaded up here in the next few days, and try them maybe Sunday if weather permits. I don't mind factory ammo, but I can save $6/100 rounds if I reload and I enjoy reloading, especially this time of year :)

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
Well, I apply this logic to all my guns....break in a good excuse to buy and shoot lots and lots of ammo. Enough said.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
i have confidence in the SR series weapons. 50 to 100 would be fine for me. i own an SR9 and an SR40. have given three SR9's as gifts. trust mine completely and have seen zero issues with the ones i gifted.