New 10/22 TD- I can't see the sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
Just picked up my new 10/22 TD and took it out to the range. I guess it's been awhile since I shot open sights with a brass front bead. I couldn't focus on them well enough to shoot a consistent group :( . The 20-something year old range master had no problem shooting a nice 1.5 inch group at 25 yrds. The gun also seems to shoot 1 inch to the right, but as much as I tried I could not drift the rear sight to the left at all.

I've got a set of Skinner 10/22 TD sights on order :wink: ....

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
I was considering a peep/fiber optic front combo, but read quite a few negative comments regarding the durability of the light tubes, as well as the quality of Williams peep sights. Given the intended use of this rifle, I opted for the most robust option I could find. The Skinner TD sight looks like the cat's meow: http://www.skinnersights.com/ruger_firearms_22.html. Here are some pictures for the Skinner website:

10-22_TD_Rear.jpg

10-22_TD_Rear_2.jpg

10-22_TD_Front.jpg

I can't wait to give them a try.

prybry

Bearcat
I had the same issues due to my bifocal glasses...
I put on a set of Trueshot sights...
The round ghost ring on the front pin site makes it nearly impossible to miss seeing the sight.
Just line up the front ring inside the peep hole and your dead on.
I find that the front pin doesn't come into play on most shots. and if you can't see it, you can change the color to one you can.

Best modification I've made to my 10/22TD so far!

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
I've got the Skinner sights installed, but can't get time away from work to get to the range... I can't wait to try them out.

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
I finally got a chance to shoot my 10/22TD with the new Skinner sights installed.
The new sight picture is quite an improvement over the stock open sights.
img2474a.jpg

The rifle shot much tighter groups this time. The group on the lower right was the best ten-shot group of the day. All groups shot with Federal bulk 36gr HP.
img2476k.jpg

The next step will be to send the trigger group off to Brimstone for a level three trigger job and 3 lb. pull.

TexasFats

Bearcat
Any kind of peep sight is usually easier for old eyes to use. As for me, my 10-22 Sporter has a Leupold FX1 4-power on it. With tri-focals, optics are the way I roll on any rifle.

Backlighting

Single-Sixer
DeltaRose said:
I finally got a chance to shoot my 10/22TD with the new Skinner sights installed.
The new sight picture is quite an improvement over the stock open sights.
img2474a.jpg

The rifle shot much tighter groups this time. The group on the lower right was the best ten-shot group of the day. All groups shot with Federal bulk 36gr HP.
img2476k.jpg

The next step will be to send the trigger group off to Brimstone for a level three trigger job and 3 lb. pull.

Was the installation done by you?

m657

Buckeye
I'm waivering between the Skinner set up and the Nikon P223 3-30.....

the P223 is so compact and provides such a clear downrange view I'm drawn strongly to giving it a try....and the field of view seems large enough that Steel Challenge matches will be just fine.

I've temporarily borrowed the Bushnell TRS25 red dot from another 10/22.....and even IT functions well enough.....although it lacks the precision for actual 'target' work, it does get the little pellet ON the target but not IN the X-ring.

Shooting at one of those 'zombie' targets at a well-lighted indoor range, at 50' I was unable to keep the POI actually ON the eye socket.....the little cluster of hits were a walnut-sized group. Not up to the potential of the TD IMHO.

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
Backlighting said:

Nope. I wasn't able to easily drift the rear sight, so I had my gunsmith install and bore sight them. They were dead on for windage and only needed a very minor elevation correction. Definitely worth the $30.

Backlighting

Single-Sixer
DeltaRose said:
Backlighting said:

Nope. I wasn't able to easily drift the rear sight, so I had my gunsmith install and bore sight them. They were dead on for windage and only needed a very minor elevation correction. Definitely worth the $30.

Thanks for the reply

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
I just got my trigger group back from Brimstone. I am very impressed with the work they performed. I can't wait to get out to the range this weekend and try it out.

lowepg

Bearcat
That skinner sight looks great.... Have one on my old 39M, never thought of trying one for the TS- great idea!