Winchester Model 70 (post-2008 FN-made models)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Digger

Bearcat
Well, after all the good reviews here, I went and done it. I didn't end up with a .243, but did take home a 270. I intended to take home the smaller caliber, but the shop had a sale on the 270 with the matte stainless barrel (very appealing to me, even though I suspect it will scratch easily) that I could not pass up. After the sale price ($599) and the liberal application of a few gift cards, I walked out with the rifle for $490 in cash.

Very excited about the new rifle. Thanks all.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
Digger said:
Well, after all the good reviews here, I went and done it. I didn't end up with a .243, but did take home a 270. I intended to take home the smaller caliber, but the shop had a sale on the 270 with the matte stainless barrel (very appealing to me, even though I suspect it will scratch easily) that I could not pass up. After the sale price ($599) and the liberal application of a few gift cards, I walked out with the rifle for $490 in cash.

Very excited about the new rifle. Thanks all.

That's a great deal. I would have taken that home for that price too! I've only seen one of the stainless versions, but liked it very much. I'd like to find a stainless one in .308.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I'm going to anyway.

I finally received my model 70 in .257 Roberts that I've had on order since January. I took it out this weekend and shot it. It looks like it's a 1" gun with the only factory load I tried - the Hornady custom 117 grain BTSP load. I have a couple of of other loads I may shoot when I have more time. But it seems like a Roberts that load well should be able to kill just about whatever I need it to kill.

Nice gun, nice trigger, nice stock. The only complain I have is that their "adjustable" trigger is only adjustable after you remove a bunch of epoxy from the front of the adjustment screw. I have two of these rifles now, and it is highly annoying. But once you get that stuff out of the way it is easy to adjust and works just fine.

SR

akefarm

Bearcat
In Australia the Win mod 70 is $1,800.00 double the price of a Ruger Hawkeye. Great rifle but not double the gun the Ruger is. Sorry to rain on your parade boys but this is a ruger Forum.

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
sorry akefarm but i own 6 ruger 77s right now and 5 #1s ive owned many others through the years too. Ive owned some real duds in that bunch too. Yes I like ruger rifles but am the first one to admitt that they are about at the bottom of the list when it comes to buying a under a 1000 dollar rifle that id bet my life would be a moa shooter. Yes the winchester is more expensive. Not twice as much around here but a few hundred more. But if i was out to buy the only rifle I was going to own and wanted to insure i was going to get an accurate rifle right out of the box personaly id take a winchester hands down over a ruger 77 and would be willing to pay the extra couple hundred. Luckily ive been able to buy MANY bolt guns through the years and its never been that big of a deal to me to just dump a dud and buy another. I may raise some hackles here but ive had more bad shooting 77s then all the remington, winchester and savage rifles ive had combined. Ive personaly had better luck with #1s then ive had with 77s. Yes this is a ruger fourm but it doesnt mean everyone here is wearing blinders. Ill tell it like it is and hope ruger reads it and enough others complain and maybe we will finally get the ruger we all want. They allready have the looks thing down pat with the hawkeye. Now give us the accuracy we want. Now im sure a bunch will come back and say there hawkeye shoots moa. I too have a couple that will do it. but ive also had 4 that wouldnt and to be honest the two that do took alot more load developement then id usually put into a rifle before giving up. bottom line all a hawkeye is is a prettier Mark II. Pretty sad when the cheap ruger americans are outshooting the hawkeyes that cost twice as much!

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I personally like M77s, Model 70s and Browning A-bolts.

If I had to bet a large chunk of money on any of them in an accuracy contest, it would be an A-bolt. But if I was hunting something that could hunt me back, I would choose the M77 or Model 70. I've killed plenty of game with all three.

I paid $775 for the latest Model 70. I could have picked up a Hawkeye for about $600 or so. In the grand scheme of things that's not that much money. Plus how often do you see a Model 70 Featherweight in .257 Roberts? It was a plunge I had to take.

patrickjames

Single-Sixer
I bought a Winchester FW last year in 22-250 and what a nice rifle. Just as accurate as any heavy barrel 22-250 or 223 I have ever owned. Out of the box 5 shot 5/8th inch group at 100 yards.

Latest posts