Cleaning and lubing a new Mini 14??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
How clean and lubed do these rifles come from Ruger? Do you guys give them a quick clean up before shooting?
I am a Ballistol user on all my other firearms,and will using this on the Mini as well.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
HI,

I've developed a practice of field stripping, doing a full clean and lube drill, and operational check on any new gun. Admittedly, some experiences w/ Rugers led me to start this practice, but it"s proven to be a good one w/ other brands as well...

Most mfrs will send the guns w/ some shipping grease, but not much more these days.

Rick

Beachbum

Bearcat
There's not much to do other than lube the moving parts and swab out the barrel with your cleaner of choice. I have never had an issue with a Mini 14 due to lack of lube. They function flawlessly even with no lube but why do that to an innocent gun?

Pal Val

Buckeye
Factory quality control checks a finished gun for function. Only custom fabricators finish the job by cleaning and lubricating the finished product.

The rest has already been said.

Personally, on a new gun I would only run a swab or snake down the barrel and then I would fire it. Possibly spray some break free lube or such in the action. I know this goes agains what most here suggest but I prefer not to take a new gun apart before testing it. This way I know how it operated direct from the factory.

welder

Buckeye
I clean any new gun before I shoot it. As others have said, Rugers will convince one of the need after you strip a few. :? My last SP101 was apparently lubed, dropped in the milling machine catch tray and shipped. On the other hand I just picked up a new Kimber and besides the heavy lube, nary a spec of anything. Go figure.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Mine was really caked on, even the outside. It cleaned up very easy took a total of 10 minutes. Next field stripped it, ran one wet patch down the bore of solvent, then 2 dry, sprayed all the internals in remoil, let sit an hour. Lightly wiped down with a rag, then put it back together again.

After doing it a few times you'll find it extremely easy to take down. However the first time is a pain in the rump. The bolts still a little tricky to get out other then that I think its a snap.

Beachbum

Bearcat
I don't think it is EVER a bad idea to run a patch down the barrel of a new gun if for no onther reason than to ensure there isn't a bit of goo that will turn your $600 gun into a paperweight with the first shot. That's just me though and I work too hard for my money to trust some guy at Ruger's shipping department or Quality control to take care of MY gun.

welder

Buckeye
Good point. I never assume the barrel is clear even on my range regulars. Things have a way of getting in the gun from to time, so safety is the order of the day.
Ruger's shipping dept., (nor any others for that matter) gets no benefit of the doubt from me.

Mus408

Hunter
I took it down,partially, as in left the bolt in place...removed recoil spring,and cleaned the barrel several times with solvent,then sprayed the bore down with Ballistol,then ran the bore snake thru it.
Sprayed Ballistol lightly around the bolt area,then wiped up any excess.
Seemed to function a bit smoother after that.

CrossRifles2008

Bearcat
I clean all my new weapons. In the case of my mini 14 it was fairly dirty. I like having clean weapons. Guess its the Military in me. I like to have weapons that have a reputation of working no matter how dirty, but still like to have them spotless.

Latest posts