Chrome 6 1/2 " Blackhawk 44 magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jrl55125

Bearcat
Guys,

It's been years since ive tripped over an interesting ruger. However, I just found a beautiful 44 flat top 6.5 inch nickel or chrome plated Blackhawk. I thought it would make a good sass gun so it came home. When I checked the SN, 20006, I found it was built in 1959.

Any ideas if the plating is ruger factory? I will get some photos midweek.

If its special, I want to know. Otherwise, I'm gonna shoot it.

chet15

Hawkeye
jrl55125 said:
Guys,

It's been years since ive tripped over an interesting ruger. However, I just found a beautiful 44 flat top 6.5 inch nickel or chrome plated Blackhawk. I thought it would make a good sass gun so it came home. When I checked the SN, 20006, I found it was built in 1959.

Any ideas if the plating is ruger factory? I will get some photos midweek.

If its special, I want to know. Otherwise, I'm gonna shoot it.

The chrome plated BKH-46 6-1/2" .44 flattop that gun that was on Ruger's 1959-1963 NRA display was serial number 23481. The chrome 10" .44 that was on display was #20082. Looking at my notes, your #20006 also falls right in a block of 10" guns.
Even though your gun is apparently not one that was on display, I would still contact the factory to see if it will letter as chrome. There's nothing saying WBR didn't have more than one 6-1/2" plated. Also check the bottom of the cylinder frame ahead of the trigger guard to be sure there isn't an "S" stamped there.
And be sure to let us on RF know how it turns out!!
If it was plated from the factory, they should be able to tell you...well, they would at least tell you whether or not your gun was used for display purposes. Somewhere there would also be a record as to whether its plated or not, just depends how deep Ruger digs for the record.
Chet15

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
And the reverse of some of that is a conversation I had on multiple occasions with Jack Behn. He noted that for the largest part, we will never know the true story of the majority of Ruger's plated guns, many of which were simply taken off/out of the production inventory and taken to Superior Plating, across the street from Ruger's plant. Various finishes were applied at WBR's instruction(s). In most cases, Behn notes, no written record was done or requested, as WBR wanted to see how the various finishes would work out and/or appear. Ray Morgan purchased such a group of Ruger Single Actions from the John Amber estate and I saw them when he returned through The NRA Annual Meetings at Reno, in the late 1980 timeframe. The colors, model and variations were mind boggeling................... 8)

jrl55125

Bearcat
Chet15,

I'm assuming a display purpose gun shouldnt have the S proof mark? I'll check tonight and post. Also, sending the form to Ruger for info.

radicalrod

Hunter
Chet is talking an S on the frame for factory second....not an S proof stamp on the cylinder....I would think that I would want that S :lol: :lol: :lol: RR.

chet15

Hawkeye
jrl55125 said:
Chet15,

I'm assuming a display purpose gun shouldnt have the S proof mark? I'll check tonight and post. Also, sending the form to Ruger for info.

Yes, that's right. Would be hard to imagine WBR not thinking about plating a gun that had some flaw in the finish. And if there was a flaw, any of the plated guns could very well have been marked with the "S"
Chet15

jrl55125

Bearcat
Here are a couple of so-so photos of BKH-46 SN20006, along with some more info.

The Micro Sight is blued, the front sight is turning plum.
There is no S on the frame in front of the grip frame.
Type 3 base pin, blued non-capped base bin latch.

IMG00075_zpsa79edc06.jpg

the smudge on the frame is a fingerprint - the finish is flawless.

IMG00074_zps7512772b.jpg

Aftermarket grips, look like the Jay Scott imitation ivory.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Is the transverse "base pin" latch blue?

The Jay Scott grips are rather odd since Ruger usually "coughed up" a set of fancy walnut grips on "special" guns.

JMHO,

flatgate

jrl55125

Bearcat
Yes, Flatgate, it's a blued base pin latch. As far as the grips, this gun was part of a batch of hawes revolvers I acquired, and it seems the previous owner had a thing for nickel/chrome with pearl and ivory. I bet the originals ended up in another part of the estate sale. I think everyone thought it was just another hawes, you know "special" because Sauer built them. I had to double take when I saw the flat top w/ Micro.

I'm waiting on the letter from Ruger now. Hope to put us some nice photos when I get back from duck hunting.

flatgate

Hawkeye
While we're waiting...... :D

Does the gun show signs of "extensive shooting"? How's the forcing cone? Is the cylinder lock-up rather snug or does it exhibit some "slop" from being fired a bit? What I'm getting at is perhaps the gun was plated after being shot a lot and the plater forgot to do the latch.... :roll: or it was a "forehead slap" kinda thing..... :D

flatgate

jrl55125

Bearcat
FG, it's locks up tight and shows no sign of wear, either on or under the plating. Ruger STILL hasn't cashed my check - it's been 6 weeks now.

flatgate

Hawkeye
jrl55125 said:
The front sight is turning plum.

To the best of my knowledge, the "plated" Blackhawks were "totally" plated, i.e. the front sights were installed on the barrels after the barrels were fitted to the cylinder frames. Example: the famous "wheel" of plated Single-Sixes includes "plated front sight blades.

I'd doubt the plated Flattop in the Original Post would be "Factory Original".

JMHO,

flatgate

jrl55125

Bearcat
Just got the letter from Ruger on SN 20006. Says it left the factory in October of 1959 as a BKH46 standard production blued gun. Nothing about chrome, decorative, or who it shipped to. Oh well.

Latest posts