SR22P Stainless Guide Rod

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Do you plan on changing out your stock guide rod for a stainless steel one?

• Undecided

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Probably

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

SR22PSHOOTER

Bearcat
I have seen where people have been having some issues with their stock guide rods in the SR22. Personally I have not had any problems with it, however I did want a stainless steel one to match the shiny stainless steel barrel that it has. So I contacted Steve Bedair at Bedair Machine Works, LLC and he made me a stainless guide rod for my Ruger SR22. So here are some pictures of the guide rod.

Now more about the guide rod, if you are familiar with Steve's work then you know it is a high quality stainless steel guide rod. This is actually the first time I have ever ordered from Steve and I must say that the customer service was great as well as the product. The guide rod fits as it should, it is a little different than the factory one but the factory one is plastic after all. Firearm cycles and fires as it should, no problems at with the new guide rod. My SR22 has been reliable from day one with no problems encountered, I have shot three boxes of the 525 Bulk Federal Copper-Plated Hollow Points through it and one box of 375 bulk CCI AR-Tactical. I have not had any malfunctions of any sort. I did shoot the CCI AR-Tactical ammo through it first to break it in.

This first picture shows the guide rod and spring, the guide rod has a very small ridge that the spring clicks into (very easily, at first I didn't even notice it until the spring wasn't falling off of it). I am holding the guide rod upside down showing that the spring doesn't just slide off.
2012-08-07093116.jpg

Just another picture of the guide rod and spring.
2012-08-07093026.jpg

Now the guide rod installed in the SR22.
2012-08-07093344.jpg

Another picture of the guide rod.
2012-08-07093413.jpg

And of course yet another picture.
2012-08-07093434.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, I could not find my camera so I had to use my Samsung Aviator S cellphone.

Here is the link to Steve's website: http://www.guiderod.com

Kermit814

Bearcat
I ordered one a few weeks ago but didn't have time to hit the range till today.
First of all, on his site, you have to order the rod for the LC9 and then in the notes area, tell him it's for the SR22. I had mine in a little less than a week.
Packaging was good the the rod is a good fit. I can't really tell if it improved my shooting at all, but it fired fine and cycled nicely.
My buddy just picked up an SR22 last week, so I want to try both guns side by side to see if you can actually feel a difference. My gut instinct says no, but that it won't hurt either.
One item of note, it seemed harder to take the gun down and put it back together with the new rod. Might have been a coincidence... I'll take it down to clean it tonight and then see if it is actually tougher or if I just had arthritic fingers this morning (not exactly a new phenomenon for me).

Frank in GA.

Bearcat
I use his guide rods for my Sigs and the added weight seems to improve the balance and reduce the muzzle flip some.