sp101 grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

101er

Bearcat
Hi, I was looking at getting some differnt grips for my sp101 3" 357 and having issues finding any locally that I can touch so figured try asking on here.
I'm partial to the eagle Secret Service checker grips and the Badger boot grips, just not sure how that'll bite when I shoot a 125 fed out of it.
are there any other grips or opinions on grips that I should look for before I start tossing money into these?

People use those plus trausch grips. Probably the trausch more often. What are you trying to accomplish with the grip change? Use the search function for pics. http://www.trausch.com/form/crossesbise.htm
gramps

CJW

Bearcat
Here's a topic that I just resurrected with the latest update to my grips on the SP101 which may help:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143142

eveled

Hawkeye
I have crimson trace laser grips on mine. I like them alot. Ed

101er

Bearcat
Thank you for the links.
CJW does changing to wood grips bite your hand when you shoot? I've never shot with wood grips before.
I dont have any shops around here that have anything even remotely like this to try, I'll be buying blind no matter what I do.
I'm just after every scrap of evindence I can get.
As far as what I want out of the grips, they pinch my knuckle and the feel is just....off? I feel like I can't maintain a decent grip on it. I've shot other .357 with a full load and not felt that way.

700xcr

Bearcat
I have the Hogue J style grip on my SP101 and very happy with it. Doesn't pinch my knuckle with heavy 357mag. load. Helped alot with felt recoil. Also made point of aim dead on to me. Factory grip made point of aim too high and had to cant wrist down to have correct point of aim. I can close my eyes and draw the gun up and front sight is in top strap sight channel.

CJW

Bearcat
I haven't shot with my new grips, but just the design of the Hogues makes a difference because it fills in that gap behind the trigger guard. The rubber grips felt much better than the stock grips, and shooting it was a much better experience for me when I shot .357 rounds.

The wood grips feel better to me because they are a bit wider than the rubber grips and my grip is much more solid, without the flexing of the rubber underneath. It's rained here every day since I got them so I have yet to get out to the range with them yet. If you're concealing yours, then you definitely wouldn't want the rubber ones as they will catch on clothing and eventually cause your shirt to ride up.

CJW

Bearcat
I was able to make it out to the range today. I have to say that the Hogue wood grips are way better than the rubber grips for me even though it still doesn't make .357 mag an all-day shooter.

As has been said, for people who don't have as strong a grip any more, the rubber will certainly allow you to keep it in your hands way better than the wood grips, but the extra width of the wood grips allows for a better purchase if you have a good hold.

The only thing that I would suggest is that if you do go with wood grips, a little checkering certainly wouldn't hurt especially on hot days.

I don't like the Eagle Secret Service or Badger grips on my SP101. Both of those put the gun at a weird upward angle in my hand.

The factory grips are not bad but I don't like black plastic inserts. I've changed them and like that combo pretty good...both wood and elk antler.

384771599.jpg

402311332.jpg

Hogue rubber is good but the Pachmayr Compaq grips feel perfect in my hand and that is what stays on the gun.

I never did like the Pachmayr medallions...easy switch...pop them out and replace with Ruger medallions. :mrgreen:

403795547.jpg

woodsy

Blackhawk
The Hogue rubber grips make my SP101 an all-day shooter for me. More accurate, too. I have no care about its appearance. A bad guy won't compliment my grips during a confrontation.

Timbo22

Single-Sixer
Wow! I'm inspired to break out the Flitz and give one of my SP101s a high polish. I especially like the Ruger medallions on those Pachmayrs too. I wish they would make a compact grip like that for the GP100 too.

eveled

Hawkeye
Does anybody make old style wood grips for the sp101 or gp100 that match the look of the old security six grips? I just can't warm up to the looks of the new grips. Thanks Ed,

exlogger

Single-Sixer
Another vote for the Hogues. They distribute the recoil far better than the factory grips.
Although, I might endure a little discomfort to make my sp101 look like those of Cocked and Locked. No doubt those wood inserts are appealing.

It is all a matter of what fits the individual's hand the best. I really like the Hogue rubber ones and they come in 2nd best for my hand.

The Pachmayr ones work best for me as when I draw the SP101 and bring it to shooting position (using sight* or instinctively) everything seems lined up right. The bullet goes where I want it...well, most of the time in the general area. :roll:

sight*
384771601.jpg

Unk

Bearcat
I put Hogue rosewood laminate grips on my SP101 .327 and a Mod 65..didn't care for the OEM SP101 grips.

KframesSP101.jpg