10/22 Takedown Barrel Damage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

N20

Bearcat
Hello everyone, I am looking for some opinions about this problem... I just finished reading the manual front to back for the 3rd time now, and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

My 10/22 Takedown's barrel is being peined over by the bolt and creating a nasty burr that does not allow me to easily pull the barrel from the receiver. The first time this happened I watched a gun smith pry it apart. the pictures below are after Just ~700 rounds with a new barrel, bolt and guide rod assembly installed by Ruger... the gun was cleaned prior to firing and every 200-250 rounds (10 reloads of a BX25). This is the second time this happened. What am I doing wrong?

A picture is worth a thousand words.
IMGP0107.JPG

IMGP0111.JPG

IMGP0112.JPG

I liked my GP100 so much that I thought I would get a 10/22, my logic being; my .357 lived up so well to the "rugged, reliable firearms" catch phrase so well, that Ruger must make all their guns industrial strength... I had the gun for 3 days, spent ~500 rounds with it in the first day, broke it down took it home, cleaned it and so on... the second day, Wednesday my normal day on the range I took the 10/22 along with my with my other, larger guns to stretch the joy of shooting at a reduced cost. Over all I put maybe 900 rounds through it in the first 2 days , cleaned with the rest of the group that night, the 3rd cleaning, and I noticed a slight bit of damage to the barrel ware ever the bolt makes contact, it seemed negligible, at that point more a discoloration than anything else.

Took the gun out for an extended plinking session with my girlfriend on the 3rd day. No problems at first, and I was still very impressed by the design. Between the two of us we used 3 boxes of "Remington Golden Bullet" in 2 different rifles, I am guessing the majority of the 1575 rounds went through the 10/22, but I don't have an accurate count...

At the end of the plinking the gun fired accurately, and ejected as reliably as any.22 ever does, but it would no longer break down. The barrel would come only way out of the receiver, that's it.

I took it back to the Gander mt ware I bought it...for, I had done something strange, something I had never done before; I purchased a store warranty. They pried the barrel out of the receiver, shrugged and sent the gun back to Ruger.

Ruger replaced the bolt, guide rod assembly, barrel, and (for some random reason) the front sight. They sent the gun back 20 days later with no notes other than; Repair, safety function check and test firing have been completed. Released for shipping.

Am I trying to use this gun more heavily than was intended? Other people, more experienced than me, have said it should be able to fire 10,000 rounds without any problems. What are your opinions?

a slight 'bevel' on the barrel stub, and end of problem,,,cannot be "too sharp", it will peen ,you know "swords into plow shares...." 8)

( that little 'extra' step, too costly to take the time to do it "right" the first time, but always time to redo it later on.....) :roll:

N20

Bearcat
After about 200 more rounds it will not longer break down at all. Just got back from gander, its on its second trip back to Ruger... I should have asked for a new one and made them fix and resell the defective weapon, but I didn't think of it... they were rude enough, would have felt nice to make some demands. haha. If this happens again I certainly will.

Ruger guy: I agree, a couple thousandths chamfer would solve the problem, I thought about it, I even have access to a lathe... But, should I really have to be modifying a new gun right out of the box, after so few rounds?
Something has got to be wrong with this picture, could a box of ammo in a matter of hours be considered abuse? My fathers old department store Mosberg 22 has withstood that kind of "abuse" for longer than I have been alive...

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I do not have a take down but it appears that the barrel shank going into the reciever is to long. If you look close at the bolt you can see a circle where it is hitting the barrel. I have a bunch (7) of other 10/22s and none of which do that, I would not be surprised if it comes back with a new barrel or recut barrel.

wingman

Single-Sixer
Here's what my TD looked like before I even fired it. I had been dry-firing it only, for a short time. I sent this photo to Ruger and they had me return the rifle. They replaced the barrel and after live-firing it about 100 rounds I inspected it. It looks like it is developing the same damage/impressions on the breach end of the barrel. Not as severe as the first time but how long before it gets to that point?

Barrelwmarks.jpg

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Curious...did Gander make any mention either way if you purchased their "warrantee"? since according to at least some of their idiot clerks, it's necessary since the gun does't have one.

JFB

Hunter
I was thinking that a regular 10/22 barrel should be subjected to the same bolt impact as the take down's. I just removed this barrel from an older 10/22 that has seen many thousand rounds through it. the bolt impact has barely reduced the machining marks.
However it does have a champer cut, so if there was any peening on the barrel face, it could still be removed from the reciever.
IMG_00021-1.jpg

IMG_00011-1.jpg

5X5

Bearcat
I just checked mine - about 900+ rounds, a few dry fires, and I'm also showing signs of barrel wear. It seems to me that barrel fitting is a problem. If it's too loose it wobbles around, and these barrels seem to suggest too little head space. I'm no smith, and I'll ask some shops tomorrow what they think. Some of the bolts seem to be poorly machined and have uneven mating surfaces too - not to mention the poor quality stamped steel firing pin and extractor blade. Really, I'm sorry I bought this thing. A better option for me would be a compact version and swap my good (not Ruger) parts to it. Anybody want to trade? At three hundred dollars I feel ripped off on this poor quality gun. On close inspection it really looks like a cheap toy, and I have no use for one. Can't return it, so I'll keep trying to get it up to speed, but it's for sale with all stock parts.

BTW, thanks to all who posted these issues. Funny this hasn't made it into all the rave reviews eh?

edit: I didn't mean to be harsh - all said, the bolt parts do seem to work fine. I don't mind putting more into a few parts, but having the barrel look like this is scary.

5X5

Bearcat
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv228/2Track_photos/PICT0653sm.jpg

I'll see if I can get this to work. Here's my barrel at less than 1500 rounds, nothing over 1250 and stock parts. Is this considered normal wear?

5X5

Bearcat
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv228/2Track_photos/PICT0657sm.jpg

Another example by extractor slot. These look worse than just eying the barrel. Maybe this wear stops at a certain point, but the edge of the barrel definitely begins to mushroom out on the edge, as the metal has to go somewhere. I'm just curious if other models have this same looking contact pattern. 1500 rounds is nothing, as I can go 500 a day sometimes. It just doesn't look like it will hold up. Any opinions?

Precision32

Blackhawk
The breech face of the take-down barrel has less area to spread the impact from the bolt across than a normal barrel. This will about double the force applied to the breech face of the barrel.

mneud

Bearcat
mine has mushroomed as well after about 1250 rounds. i will be taking a fine file to the end of it and try that.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Just an FYI ... If your gun is less than one year old Ruger will cover any and all cost to evaluate and repair a firearm. Gander mountain is not liable to do anything once you leave unless you buy a service plan. 10/22 barrels will peen but it looks like this is a manufacturing issue with the barrels. My 90s 10/22 has 10s of thousands of rounds through it will very little peening at all. Call Ruger and ask to talk to the lead tech.

mickeyboat

Bearcat
I sent Ruger a note asking if there was anything I could do to prevent this potential damage, like tighter or looser barrel. Their answer was this issue was rare and nothing I could do would cause it. They said that if it should occur, call them to make arrangements to return the rifle to the factory for repair.

Iowa Fox

Bearcat
I'm curious as to how high of a round count some of the Take Down owners might have on their rifles. Anyone here with over 5K rounds fired?

N20

Bearcat
As much as I hate to see damaged guns... I am glad that I am not the only person having problems.

I did get the gun back just a few weeks ago, took twice as long this time, again the same note was attached with not further information; Replaced bolt, guide rod assembly, barrel, and front sight. "Repair, safety function check and test firing have been completed. Released for shipping."

With less than 700 rounds, and now wiping both the bolt and barrel end clean after every 100 rounds I am already seeing the fist signs of damage. I am very disappointed in this purchase, and when it locks together the next time I will be calling Ruger and asking for some sort of explanation, or an exchange.

Also, I am happy to report that the Gander Mt warranty has paid for it self via the cost of shipping.