american rifle stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ezdaar

Bearcat
Anyone making wood stocks for the american yet?
The factory stock is horriblebly flimsy.

Sham22

Bearcat
At least you have one. I've yet to see the American in the local shops by me. :cry: But I know I'll get one eventually. I too want to change out the stock and I've searched the web for a classic wood stock and haven't found anything yet. It may be a bit longer wait before someone makes stocks and aftermarket parts. Other American owners have also commented on wanting to change out the bolt sleeve to something made of metal.

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
It will be interestig to see. Figure there will be some sythetics. Take your actio out and look at the V-blocks in the stock.

Whoever does a replacement stock should duplicate there, but who knows. May be a while before any aftermarket guys tool up. Fgure a customer stockmaker could do it, bit it will cost you the price of several Americans, unless you do it yourself.

Is the trigger guard part of the synthetic stock like it is on the 77/22's? If so you would need a replacement guard.

Sham22,
Farm King in Galesburg has them in stock. Not sure how far north you are from there. There is also a Farm King in Kewaunee which is 35 miles north of Galesburg, but I dont know what they have.

Sham22

Bearcat
Thanks for the info Rumrunner, I'll look into Farm King. There are plenty of local gun shops in Lake county area, but they only get a few Americans at a time. Interesting you mention the trigger guard. Never even thought about that, maybe someone else who's handled one can answer that.
Like SteelShooter says, any aftermarket stocks will have to come with the v-blocks, which will no doubt be expensive, I'm assuming.

DPris

Buckeye
Ruger says the V-blocks are the reason they have no plans to produce a wood stock version.
And you'll need to deal with that triggerguard issue, too.
Denis

mike7mm08

Buckeye
With the price point of the gun I don't think many are going to looking for a new stock. Only way I can see a aftermarket stock working other than synthetic is with a large bedding block. Basically create the internals of action portion of the stock out of aluminum. Then bed that into a wood or laminate stock. Lots of work and expense. Doubt we will see it. Not knocking anyone but I just don't get buying a low price gun then wanting all kinds of accessories for it. In the case of the Ruger it offers nothing that cannot be had in other rifles that are available in a lot more configurations. The Ruger is a great gun. But accept it for what it is a great gun at a great price. Just meant to plane work not be pretty or be a platform to build into something else.

johnnyb

Bearcat
"don't get buying a low price gun then wanting all kinds of accessories for it"

...ever heard of the 10/22?

pisgah

Buckeye
Sham22 said:
At least you have one. I've yet to see the American in the local shops by me. :cry: But I know I'll get one eventually. I too want to change out the stock and I've searched the web for a classic wood stock and haven't found anything yet. It may be a bit longer wait before someone makes stocks and aftermarket parts. Other American owners have also commented on wanting to change out the bolt sleeve to something made of metal.

Bummer! Stores around here are loaded with them. In a casual tour of 3 area gun stores a couple of weeks ago, I counted 14 on display.

pisgah

Buckeye
mike7mm08 said:
With the price point of the gun I don't think many are going to looking for a new stock. Only way I can see a aftermarket stock working other than synthetic is with a large bedding block. Basically create the internals of action portion of the stock out of aluminum. Then bed that into a wood or laminate stock. Lots of work and expense. Doubt we will see it. Not knocking anyone but I just don't get buying a low price gun then wanting all kinds of accessories for it. In the case of the Ruger it offers nothing that cannot be had in other rifles that are available in a lot more configurations. The Ruger is a great gun. But accept it for what it is a great gun at a great price. Just meant to plane work not be pretty or be a platform to build into something else.

My feeling, too. I am a fan of the Savage Axis (own 2), not because they are the finest or most-customizable, but because they represent a heckuva shooting bargain. Rifles like the American and the Axis are just about as close to a silk purse as they will ever get as-is, bar a bit of action and trigger tuning, so if a silk purse is what you want, get one to begin with. You'll be a lot happier in the end, with a lot more $$$ left in your pocket. :D

soyarm

Bearcat
When rifles were all produced with wood stocks people went out and bought synthetics for them.

Bountyhunter

Single-Sixer
I got one in 243. Great little hunting rifle for what I paid. A wood stock would be nice, but it would probably cost what I paid for the gun to begin with. I like cheap guns that shoot good, and this one does.

SRH

Bearcat
photo.jpg
[/url][/img]

just added reaper buck camo hydrographics to the stock of my ruger american 30 06 .

RJ556

Buckeye
SRH, That'll work. That stock now looks great, no need for a different stock and you still have the light weight. For others, an even cheaper and still good looking option is to spider web the black Ruger stock with Krylon silver webbing paint, with a couple coats of satin clear polyurethane over that. I did it on a Remington black synthetic stock and it really looks good. At about $12. RJ

SRH

Bearcat
Thanks RJ. It turned out really nice , the picture does no justice really(cell phone pic) , its awesome in person .