Rimfire to Centerfire Single-Six conversion question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Having wanted a stainless, adjustable sighted Single-Six for some time, but not having the deep pockets for the linbored custom of my dreams. After seeing stainless .32 cylinders and barrels for sale got me to thinking. How hard would it be to convert a rimfire to a centerfire?

Getting the firing pin arranged to strike in the center of the bore would be kinda pricy, I'd think.

How about just starting with a .32 Single-Six that is already so arranged?

Just a thought.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Ale-8(1) said:
Getting the firing pin arranged to strike in the center of the bore would be kinda pricy, I'd think.

How about just starting with a .32 Single-Six that is already so arranged?

Just a thought.

He desires a SS, adjustable sighted 32 so either the conversion or adding sights to a SS 32. Harton spits out such rimfire to centerfire conversions rather readily, sight conversions too.

Ethang

Blackhawk
I have thought the same thing with the little Vaquero and adding some S&W sights to it. Might be a better option.

Or maybe if we pester Ruger enough they will bring out a stainless Single Six in 32/327...

M'BOGO

Buckeye
I was just wondering if there was a home-boy gunsmithing "piece of 3/8" drill rod, and...."

Jim Stroh shows a R/F to centerfire for about $150, + insurance and shipping, + barrel, + cylinder, and extras.. That's not high, actually fairly reasonable. At that price point, putting S&W style rear on the little Vaquero is cheaper.

I'd love the stainless, linebored in .327 though....

Ethang

Blackhawk
M'BOGO said:
I was just wondering if there was a home-boy gunsmithing "piece of 3/8" drill rod, and...."

Stop putting ideas in my head I can't afford Marc

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Ethang said:
M'BOGO said:

Stop putting ideas in my head I can't afford Marc

I know, this has been bouncing around my head for awhile. Maybe Lipseys????? The stainless .32 H&R, I know Ruger will never do a .327 Single-Six.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
They made 100 Shootists 7.5" .44 Spc Bisleys. There have been runs of 250 of others. Maybe we could get a group buy going. Problem with that is everyone would want a different this or that.

I'd say make it a 7.5" Bisley, and easy enough to go anywhere from there. The barrel could be shortened to anything (but a 9.5"), and the Bisley parts could easily be changed to plowhandle. And Single-Six stainless Bisley parts will sell in about three minutes if not priced like they are made of gold. The collectors would be happy too...

cas6969

Buckeye
Rimfire to Centerfire conversion isn't all THAT pricey, relatively speaking. Of course that was 10+ years ago and the man who did mine won't do them anymore….. :oops:

rearside.jpg

cockednosight.jpg

recoilsh.jpg

cas6969

Buckeye
My first thought it would be cheaper and easier for you to buy a blue 32 and have it hard chromed, rather than having a stainless one built. But in truth it probably isn't.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Interesting question and one asked of me by a customer who made one additional challenge. He wanted a .32 stainless OLD MODEL. Anything can be done; it just becomes a question of how much would someone pay to have what they want or how skillful they are.

I went thru the mental exercise when it was first asked. Here it is step by step:

Yes, if you want a pure 3 screw gun it's not that hard and it can be done to a NM Ruger. For .32 start with Single Six and convert RF to centerfire first. Of course not needed for other centerfire calibers.

Gut all internal parts from a NM Stainless gun and put them away. Very helpful to have a disassembled old model for reference and measurements.

1. The trigger screw hole does not align with the 3 screw. Weld up the trigger screw hole or otherwise plug it with two pieces of the original, peened tightly in place and polished over flat (the hardest part of the entire conversion).
2. Drill and thread new trigger screw hole and cyl bolt screw hole in the old model locations and obtain the screws.
3. Counter bore and thread hammer pin hole and obtain screw.
4. Obtain OM hammer with cylinder hand (pawl) and polish all the blue off of hammer.
5. Make a trigger spring adapter for use with the NM grip frame or easier to replace grip frame with Ruger Old Army SS grip frame, trigger and trigger return spring. This will give you a wide grooved trigger like a SBH.
6. Obtain an old model cylinder stop bolt and return spring.
7. Drill small hole inside frame to capture end of the above return spring.
8. Drill and tap hole in bottom of frame for old model style loading gate spring, plunger and lock screw and install them after slight fitting of NM loading gate shaft.
9. You can leave the SS cyl pin with the plunger in the end or remove plunger.

All needed parts readily available.

Latest posts