William B Ruger Endowment Special NRA Edition Mark II Pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

circlei

Bearcat
I am curious about the opinions here of the value of a poster child pistol. By poster child, I mean a gun that was widely advertised with photos, in this case, the advertisement campaign announcing the "William B. Ruger Endowment Special NRA Edition Mark II Pistol". As a dealer back then, I was made aware of the coming introduction of the "William B. Ruger Endowment Special NRA Edition Mark II Pistol" through Davidsons. The special flyer from Davidson's had a large color picture of the "William B. Ruger Endowment Special NRA Edition Mark II Pistol". The serial number of the pictured pistol could be seen easily which was NRA-00357. This first Bill Ruger comemmorative pistol was a combined project by Ruger, NRA and Davidsons. The first 500 serial numbers were available for a $100 donation to the NRA Foundation. I called Davidsons and asked if serial number NRA-00357 was available and was told it was already taken. Later, I was able to contact my salesman at Davidsons and asked again and yes!...it was available. I promptly made arrangements to secure that serial number. As the advertising campaign progressed, I collected a large number of industry publications that had color pictures of the pistol that clearly showed the serial number. Additionally, a special limited edition of the Blue Book of gun values was produced. The cover shows the pistol with the serial number clearly visible. As the purchaser of the serial number, I was allowed to buy a copy of the special edition Blue book, serialized 357 and personally signed by Wayne La Pierre and William B. Ruger Jr. I collected dozens of publications showing the pistol with serial number legible including Guns and Ammo, Shooting Industry, Gun List, American Firearms, American Handgunner, Davidson's Flyers, American Hunter, Shooting Times, Woman's Outlook, America's First Freedom, American Rifleman, Shotgun News, Special Advertising Clip Art from Ruger, plus, there are probably more publications that I missed that could be tracked down to add to the collection. The gun is still in mint condition in the original case which also bears the serial number. This is a unique gun, seen by tens of millions via the extensive advertising campaign. There is no comparison that I know of to base a value on. I had the gun at auction for $10,000.00 (ten thousand) and was tentatively sold at $7,500.00. The buyers wanted to make payments to which I agreed. Their first check cleared but, then, they defaulted. I waited nearly a year and contacted them asking what they wanted to do. I offered them their money from the first payment back but, they said they still wanted the gun. They sent another check but, that bounced. The last contact I had with them, they still wanted the deal but, I have given up on them. Upon selling, I will refund their total investment. Now, I am going to put it back up for auction and would be much obliged for your opinion as to what value to put on the gun and collection of industry publications that show the gun and serial number clearly. I am thinking back to the first selling price of $7,500.00..cash or cash and trade. I am grateful for any input you are willing to share. Thanks very much

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
It took me two reads to grasp that your #357 was the photo shoot pistol. Does that make it more valuable than the other 499? YES
I am assuming here that the issue was limited to 500 units. Is that correct?
Historically, these NRA Specials and Commeratives have not been highly collectable, in my experience- and opinion.
What are the 499 selling for? I would think that a 2X to 3X multiplier for the photo pistol is all that it would bring. I can hardly imagine it selling for $7500, much less the $10,000 to a Ruger Collector. I think you are going to have to find a "deep pockets" NRA supporter to realize the value you place on this item.
Good Luck

radicalrod

Hunter
I am in agreement with El Numero Uno.....the fact that it is the one in all the photos is certainly a special feature but I would think the fact that no one has been willing to pay the price should speak loudly.....RR.

gotta remember also , that any and all bidding on such guns at any of the functions, Ducks Unlimited, Friends of the NRA, etc,. the bidding goes hot and heavy,and I believe some of them are 'tax deductible' they can write off their spending way more than what an item is worth.........I know, I got a Ruger red Label, US Duck stamp commemerative and it came from a guy who owned a car dealership down south, and he paid 10 times what the gun was worth, and we got it for a song & a dance, no one wanted to buy it from him later on............

Did have a "funny" thought, does it "letter"??? 8) :roll: :wink:

Good luck, sounds neat ,but not our 'cup a tea'...........and over all these years , in other brands "commemeratives" also (Colts ,Winchesters,etc) MOST, in time do NOT appreciate, exceptions are John Wayne , and Boy Scout stuff....and as for Ruger, my wife sold off ALL her Ruger commeratives and RCA guns, and most were again, a break even scenario.......sorry

Latest posts