LC9 - Aftermarket Trigger Options

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Captains1911

Single-Sixer
I love everything about my LC9 except for the LONG trigger pull in which I just can't get used to, mostly because I shoot Glocks a lot. So, are there any reliable aftermarket trigger parts that will shorten the length of pull? I do not want to decrease the pull weight much if any because I carry with the safety off, but I would not mind losing a few pounds.

Rat1

Bearcat
Gallowayprecision.com is the only one I know of that is doing trigger mods with the LC9. Problem is that he modifies your stock parts or you have to get the parts from Ruger or some other vendor that might have a stash around.

Forget about getting them from Ruger. They have gone to a factory install on these parts only now.

But get ahold of Galloway and he can help you out. Either ship him the pistol or you have to remove the parts and ship them to him then reinstall them when you get them back.

He is working on a vendor to make these parts to his personal specs but I have not heard if he has anyone lined up yet.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
I still wish they would have put the SR9c trigger on the LC9! If I can get my hands on a Shield, the LC9 may be history. Retired to the safe or sold....

Rat1

Bearcat
Captains1911 said:
Do the Galloway parts compromise reliability in any way? Are they easy to install?
Lots of good reports on them.

Install is pretty easy, he even has videos on his website on how to remove these parts and install these parts.

Not really hard once you do it. I just put in a new hammer and trigger bar in mine on Friday. I tried modifying them myself and messed up the trigger bar.

Anyway it too me maybe 10 minutes to break the gun down, pull the trigger bar and hammer and reinstall the new stock ones and put the gun back together.

You will need some small punches, a small flat blade screw driver, a small needle nose and a small hammer and a block of some type with a hole drilled in it or a small vise of some sort. Also a tray to put the small parts in is helpful.

But I think he charges 40 bucks for the trigger bar and hammer mods but you have to send the parts in so there will be some shipping included.

Captains1911

Single-Sixer
I don't carry with the safety on, is the reduced length of pull so much that some may consider it unsafe to carry in this manner? Is the pull weight reduced any by this mod? I understand all the safety rules, finger off the trigger, safety between the ears, yada yada, this is not what I'm asking about. I have the tools, and i've already removed the mag disconnect so im somewhat familiar with the internals, i just wanted to make sure no hand fitting if parts is required. Thanks.

Rat1

Bearcat
It only decreases the pull length from more then an inch to just over half an inch. It is not like to turns it into a hair trigger. You still have to pull the trigger with meaning or deliberation before it will go bang.

Personally, I don't see it being a safety issue and others that have don't it don't seem to think it takes away from the safe operation of the firearm.

It is astill a double action pull but just not as long as before.

Too bad you can't buy a trigger bar and hammer from Ruger anymore. Well you can but you have to send the firearm in and they have to install them meaning they will take the trigger bar and hammer that you already have.

Personally, if you can wait then give it a little time till Galloway gets their aftermarket kit so you can just buy that and not have to send your in to be modified.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Anyone knows what is taking Mr. Galloway so long? To me it seems like he's losing quite a lot of business, people ask here about the parts all the time.

ptroxx

Bearcat
MIdway sells the trigger bar but on back order right now..ok to order though

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/271471/ruger-trigger-bar-lc9

here is the hammer
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/659644/ruger-hammer-lc9

I Have the kit in mine and love it..

Cubby

Single-Sixer
It just seems a shame that the gun can't be more user friendly from the factory! Other than the trigger, I love the gun...

ptroxx

Bearcat
He was selling custom parts.. till ruger put a stop to that and made them dealer install only now..
Just search around and you will find the parts...
Just glad I got mine right before all this happened..

Captains1911

Single-Sixer
I don't understand, if they were custom parts (not modified factory parts), how could Ruger have any control over that?

Search around to find what parts? Custom parts or factory parts to send him for modification?

If I just send him the factory parts of my gun, will I be getting back the same parts everybody is talking about?

ptroxx

Bearcat
Captains1911 said:
I don't understand, if they were custom parts (not modified factory parts), how could Ruger have any control over that?

Search around to find what parts? Custom parts or factory parts to send him for modification?

If I just send him the factory parts of my gun, will I be getting back the same parts everybody is talking about?

they arent custon parts.. they are modded factory parts. so if you send yout factory parts to galloway you dont have factory parts to put back in your gun just in case you have to send you gun back to the factory for repair... SO once miday get more back in stock you can purchase them and send them to eric and he can mod them....

roberto

Bearcat
Northwood Components has a trigger assembly for some of the Kel Tec pistols and are soon releasing one for the LC9. You can see their website at, northwoodcomp.com The people on the Kel Tec Owners forum are very happy with his work. There is a very long thread on that site, giving the background of the company and telling about all of the design work and testing as it was being developed. While it is a long read, it was reassuring to me, to know all of the R&D that went into the development of the trigger assembly, to make sure that the gun would function safely and correctly, before he marketed it. He supplied early models and subsequent models, to a few of the moderators on the site for their evaluation and feed back. These moderators have a great deal of experience with guns in general and the PF9 in particular. If I remember correctly, the owner owns a medical equipment company and the new parts are manufactured by a machine shop, not in his garage.

I own a Kel Tec P3AT that I wanted to upgrade the trigger on, but he has not introduced it for that model yet, I suspect he has placed it on hold to work on the LC9 trigger assembly.

The reason I am on this site, is because I wanted to buy a LC9 about a month ago here in Costa Rica, but the only gun shop here that imports them, was out of stock. Now that the M&P Shield has been released, I am waiting for it and the LC9 to come in and then decide which one I want. You guys are very lucky in the states, we have very little selection here, small or no inventory and by the way, the LC9 is $850 when he gets it in

Captains1911

Single-Sixer
roberto said:
Northwood Components has a trigger assembly for some of the Kel Tec pistols and are soon releasing one for the LC9. You can see their website at, northwoodcomp.com The people on the Kel Tec Owners forum are very happy with his work. There is a very long thread on that site, giving the background of the company and telling about all of the design work and testing as it was being developed. While it is a long read, it was reassuring to me, to know all of the R&D that went into the development of the trigger assembly, to make sure that the gun would function safely and correctly, before he marketed it. He supplied early models and subsequent models, to a few of the moderators on the site for their evaluation and feed back. These moderators have a great deal of experience with guns in general and the PF9 in particular. If I remember correctly, the owner owns a medical equipment company and the new parts are manufactured by a machine shop, not in his garage.

I own a Kel Tec P3AT that I wanted to upgrade the trigger on, but he has not introduced it for that model yet, I suspect he has placed it on hold to work on the LC9 trigger assembly.

The reason I am on this site, is because I wanted to buy a LC9 about a month ago here in Costa Rica, but the only gun shop here that imports them, was out of stock. Now that the M&P Shield has been released, I am waiting for it and the LC9 to come in and then decide which one I want. You guys are very lucky in the states, we have very little selection here, small or no inventory and by the way, the LC9 is $850 when he gets it in

Thanks for the heads up, it's nice to have options, I wonder how the pull length, weight, and reset of the Northwood parts will compare to the Galloway.

roberto

Bearcat
I can't tell you how it compares to the Galloway trigger. I would suggest that you contact Northwood and see what they say. You may want to ask if it changes the weight of the trigger pull. I believe the PF9 has a fairly light pull and this was not something that needed to be changed. However the trigger for the LC9 may be designed to lessen the pull. That's why I suggest you call Northwood. I would also assume, the price would be close to the KT price.

On the KT PF9 forum the comments by those who have installed it are all positive. I am not familiar with the LC9 trigger, but the PF9 trigger is plastic and has a lot of side play. The Northwood trigger is aluminum and eliminates the side play and gives you a wider surface for your finger. While the trigger weight does not change, the general consensus is that it feels lighter just because of the surface being wider and smoother, which gives you better control. The new trigger gives you more room in front of the trigger, less take up, less over travel after the hammer releases, a smoother pull and a crisp break.

Rat1

Bearcat
I had emailed Eric about sending mine in to get done up. He is a busy man so he did not get back to me right away.

I am kinda impatient so I went back to my self modded hammer, redrilled my new stock trigger bar and reprofiled the ramp on the back of the trigger bar slightly so the trigger bar stays in the hammer a little longer and I am back to a nice short pull again.

Put more then 100 rounds through it yesterday. Had three full mags plus a fresh 100 rd box. All went pretty good actually. I am more then happy with my modded trigger on my LC9. I don't feel it takes away any of the safety that Ruger intended by the extra long trigger pull.

It is still a double action but just less pull length.

Now don't get me wrong, I do not fault Eric Galloway at all. It is not his fault that he has other responsibilities to take care of.

As soon as he gets his own parts in then I will be buying everything he has for the LC9 and doing a complete package on mine.