SR22 Pistol magazine issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boostedawd91

Bearcat
I was wondering if anyone else is having issues with any of there magazines. My one magazine would always have a occasional ftf and its slowly getting worse and happening more often. I dont know if ruger would replace it for me or not, but interested in seeing if anyone is having any problems[/quote]

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
Many are reporting FTF problems.

Some of those mention the second round in a fresh mag of 10 as being the issue. Others feel it might be related to difficulty getting the recoil spring fully seated over the ridge and against the rim of the rod. Some, including myself, report seeing fewer FTFs if we carefully load the mag under pressue (ie, don't use the slide button too much if at all) and make sure the last rounds in are properly aligned.

Still others think it may be the standard issues . . . breakin, failure to clean/lube a new weapon, or ammo related. But many of us with frequent FTFs are welll beyond having those issues.

Personally, I think there's some kind of an issue with ammo seating in the mag since my FTFs are now, after 700 rounds, almost exlcusively on the second round. Mag issues might become more apparent as the mag ages.

I've decided to track my own issue a bit further before calling Ruger - the gun is new, after all, and they are busy enough handling orders. YMMV.

boostedawd91

Bearcat
Brand new id have a ftf every couple magazines but now that im closer to 5000 rounds its happening quite often. I clean the gun often so i know its not a dirt issue. It seems to be mostly with the one magazine but still occasionally happens with the other. Ive only had this gun about 3 weeks so im seeing where the problem areas are with it.

scottginfla

Single-Sixer
I can say with most 22 semi auto pistols, improper loading of the mag is the general problem with feed, ftf issues. I have no idea as far as this specific pistol, just putting this out there as a general rule.

Twospot

Bearcat
scottginfla said:
I can say with most 22 semi auto pistols, improper loading of the mag is the general problem with feed, ftf issues. I have no idea as far as this specific pistol, just putting this out there as a general rule.

WHat do you mean by improper loading? I do notice when I load mine it almost seems there is more space in the mag so the cartridges shifted side to sode almost like a zig zag affect.

boostedawd91

Bearcat
Improper loading? How do you load a magazine improperly? Putting a round in backwards is the only thing u can do wrong

Richbaker

Blackhawk
Put the rim of the upper round behind the rim of the lower round, they won't feed..... It doesn't happen often, but it CAN..... especially if you're not paying attention. It can happen with any semi-auto chambered for a rimmed round.

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
Richbaker said:
Put the rim of the upper round behind the rim of the lower round, they won't feed..... It doesn't happen often, but it CAN..... especially if you're not paying attention. It can happen with any semi-auto chambered for a rimmed round.
Duhhh lol! Thanks! Finally, at least *something* to look for and either confirm or eliminate as a cause for 2nd Round FTF.