Ruger M77 MKII 7x57 accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GUhunter

Bearcat
I picked up a used M77 MKII last summer chambered in 7x57. The rifle was made in 1998 and I really like the overall feel of the gun, but am having a tough time getting it to shoot like I expect my rifles to shoot. The rifle has a 8.75" twist and a long throat so i figure it should favor heavy bullets. I have tried 139 - 175 grainers and 2 inches is about all I can expect. I've loaded all ammo long since the mag has room, but am starting to wonder if loading to factory length might be worth a try. I have not loaded and round nose bullets mainly because I live and hunt in WY and would rather not limit it's ballistic capability if I don't have to. I have played with H4350, Win 760, IMR 4350, R22 (with the 175 grainers). I have many other sporters (Savage, winchester, remington) and can typically ring out 1 - 1.25 MOA fairly easily. I do seem to be getting much more horizontal spread than vertical, which is something I've not seen in such an obvious way.

dgoalie

Bearcat
I have a tang safety 7x57 that would not shoot with anything but the round nose 175gr bullets. However, those bullets shoot quite well and are not a limiter here in the northeastern woods. I almost sold the gun before trying those bullets.

GUhunter

Bearcat
MikeJinVT said:
I always had good luck with a faster burning powder like IMR4064. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

I actually happen to have a pound of 4064 sitting on the shelf that I haven't touched. Worth a shot. I do enjoy the reloading challenge, but this one has gotten frustrating! If 7x57 wasn't such a sweetheart of a cartridge, the rifle may have gone down the road by now.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
I have a Liberty M77RS that caused me all kinds of trouble trying to find a good load for it. It has a long throat, of course. I finally tried Bob Hagel's load of a compressed load of MRP and a 140gr Nosler Partition. My rifle shoots that load MOA at 2895fps. The load is listed in his "Game Loads..." book.

That load is too hot in my 1A 7x57 which has a shorter throat.

I believe that, in rifles with long throats, a flat based bullet will be more accurate.

Based on what I have read on this forum and on other forums, many guys are having good success with the Hornady 154gr flat base bullet. You might try that one.

GUhunter

Bearcat
mcknight77 said:
I have a Liberty M77RS that caused me all kinds of trouble trying to find a good load for it. It has a long throat, of course. I finally tried Bob Hagel's load of a compressed load of MRP and a 140gr Nosler Partition. My rifle shoots that load MOA at 2895fps. The load is listed in his "Game Loads..." book.

That load is too hot in my 1A 7x57 which has a shorter throat.

I believe that, in rifles with long throats, a flat based bullet will be more accurate.

Based on what I have read on this forum and on other forums, many guys are having good success with the Hornady 154gr flat base bullet. You might try that one.

I considered the flat based possibility. I did fire an ok group with factory 140 core lokt, which had been the only flat based bullet put down range. I then loaded up some 139 hornady flat based bullets and didn't see much improvement. I didn't play with powders much with the flat based bullets either, however. I'll keep plugging away. Eventually, I'm sure I'll hit pay dirt. Thanks for all the suggestions.

joker12

Bearcat
Great cartridge, mine is a #1A and what finally worked for me was 50gr of imr4831 and 154gr hornadys. mine is long throated so oal is 3.125. shoots into 1" consistantly at 2725fps. M77s that I have worked with seem to also like a bit more forend preasure to do their best work. Good luck!

Lo_Tek

Bearcat
I have a 7 X 57 M77 MkII and I have found some very accurate loads with 120gr. Speer bullets, H4895, Rem 9 1/2 primers. I have also used the 130 gr. Speer boattail with the same powder primer combo and got the same excellent small groups. The thing I shoot are feral pigs have found the farmers and ranchers around here like the fact that I don't have a heavy bullet going clear through and into their pastures.

GUhunter

Bearcat
Got out today and shot a few groups with varying charges of imr 4064 and 139 flat based hornadys seated to the cannelure. At all charge levels, groups were better than nearly EVERY previous group fired. At 43 grains, group as right about 1 MOA. I am not done, but glad I am finding a bright spot in the process. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts