Super Redhawk in 454 Casull

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Not an Alaskan but a regular SRH. Compared to a full-house 44Mag, just how 'bad' are these pistols? Recoil-wise. How about accuracy at 100yds with a good scope?

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I have the Super Blackhawk and Redhawk in 44 mag and the Super Redhawk in 454 Casull all with 7 1/2 in barrels. The Rehawk has the lightest recoil and the 454 Casull with full house loads has by far the most, it is not brutal like the LCR357 with heave loads just noticeably heavier than the SBH. I have never scoped mine, but it is real accurate with open sights and i would expect great results with a good scope. Sometime i will probably try a 4x Nikon or Leapold on mine. They are all vary enjoyable for target shooting.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
Ive got a Redhawk in .45 Colt and I shoot heavy Ruger only 300 grain loads through it, It's a Boomer.
I also have a SRH .454 with the 7 1/2 inch barrel that I put a Weaver 2x scope on. With 300 grain factory loads or my own 300 grain handloads that duplicate factory loads, the .454 recoils straight back into my hands and I can feel the shock in my wrist. It's a fast and sharp impulse. It's not objectionable. It doesn't hurt but I definitely know Im shooting something big. And yes, they are accurate.

MaxP

Buckeye
dougader said:
After I shoot a 7.5" 454, the 44 mag is like a cake walk in comparison.

I agree completely. Even though the SRH in .454 is fairly heavy, the recoil with full-tilt loads is "brisk."

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Thanks. I expected as much but I got such a deal on this that I couldn't pass it up. Supposedly 75% more recoil than my 44 Mag. Should be interesting.

I plan to work up some 300XTP mag loads in Casull. Also have some 45LC brass and 250XTPs that should do well with that long barrel and some Hodgdon 'Ruger loads'. I'll see how it compares on target with my SBH Hunter.

Need to slug the barrel and cylinders to see if I am going to have to buy some 45 molds/sizers/etc... Tough call since if I want to shoot 'cowboy' loads, I have my 44 special Blackhawk and it shoots like a laser and is really easy on the hands, arms, and wrists.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
If you are reloading for it, you can always tune it down a little.
I have the 480 Ruger SRH. I have a field load for it using 8 grains of Unique and a 400 lead flat point. I also have a shotshell load for it. One nice thing about reloading for it, besides saving a bunch of money, is being able to adjust your loads up and down depending on what you are using it for.

Not sure what you are going to use it for, however you might consider a Red Dot for it while doing your research. I have set up 3 SRH's so far using 30mm UltraDots. Where I deer hunt the UltraDot works very well. I have scopes on my Contender barrels, but much prefer the 30mm UltraDot on the revolver. NOTE: Skip the 1" version and go with a 30mm, you will like it much better.

Bob

kelbro

Single-Sixer
I just shot a few and I'm impressed with this pistol. 'Ruger loads' of 2400 and IMR4227 behind the 250XTP were very accurate at 25yds. Rain wouldn't let up so I will have to extend the distance another day.

The Super Redhawk is a nice shooting pistol.

dleong

Bearcat
kelbro said:
I just shot a few and I'm impressed with this pistol. 'Ruger loads' of 2400 and IMR4227 behind the 250XTP were very accurate at 25yds. Rain wouldn't let up so I will have to extend the distance another day.

Glad you're liking your Super Redhawk. It is indeed an extremely accurate revolver.

This is typical of the kind of groups I get with my 7.5" .454 Super Redhawk, using my handloads:

That target was shot offhand at 74' using the iron sights. The load was a 250 gr. Hornady XTP projectile over 29.4 gr. of W296 at an OAL of 1.690", yielding a muzzle velocity of about 1420 fps. This is nowhere near maximum for this projectile/powder combination, and consequently the recoil, though brisk, is entirely manageable.

I also have a 10.5" .44 Mag. Super Blackhawk and, in terms of recoil, full power handloads though it (240 gr. projectile with 23.9 gr. of W296) are relatively unexciting affairs vis-a-vis the .454 Super Redhawk. Well, perhaps that's not a valid comparison, as the sheer weight of the 10.5" bull barrel on the Super Blackhawk mitigates the recoil substantially.

MaxP

Buckeye
dleong said:
kelbro said:

Glad you're liking your Super Redhawk. It is indeed an extremely accurate revolver.

This is typical of the kind of groups I get with my 7.5" .454 Super Redhawk, using my handloads:

That target was shot offhand at 74' using the iron sights. The load was a 250 gr. Hornady XTP projectile over 29.4 gr. of W296 at an OAL of 1.690", yielding a muzzle velocity of about 1420 fps. This is nowhere near maximum for this projectile/powder combination, and consequently the recoil, though brisk, is entirely manageable.

I also have a 10.5" .44 Mag. Super Blackhawk and, in terms of recoil, full power handloads though it (240 gr. projectile with 23.9 gr. of W296) are relatively unexciting affairs vis-a-vis the .454 Super Redhawk. Well, perhaps that's not a valid comparison, as the sheer weight of the 10.5" bull barrel on the Super Blackhawk mitigates the recoil substantially.

Can't argue with that!

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Shot some 300gr 454s today. They were a handful but didn't seem like a lot more powerful than full-tilt 44Mag loads but I do shoot a lot of those.

I did switch out to the Hogue tamers though on the SRH before shooting the 454s.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Try some heavier bullets. I have found 325s and 360s more pleasant to shoot than 300gr or less in full power 454 loads.

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Looking for a larger mold. Have a 454424 on the way for the 45Colt stuff.

bfm1851

Bearcat
As all above state shooting full house rounds with a 454 can be a hand full. I also have a ruger in 44mag and it is no where near the casull when you load up toward the top. Fun to shoot but I would not want to run 50 or so rounds thru it in a setting