Ruger GP100 in .38 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
Davidsons have 99 of these #1724 Blued GP100 in 38 special on sale for around $400.......

Will this pistol only shoot 38 special rounds?

Any reviews on it?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
It is chambered for 38special and will not chamber the 357mag round as is. There is no reason that the chambers could not be reamed to accommodate both rounds but some security agencies require a 38special only gun. You will see 38special only guns from Taurus and S&W also. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

hittman

Staff member
This guy has them too .... $389

Great guns and no reason why they aren't well worth that kinda money!

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/GP100.html

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Dang, there's a couple dealers around here that could deliver that baby for right at &425.00 OTD. And it's not even a DA only hammerless police version but I do see that it is a fixed sight version though, a very peculiar animal?
That's a steal for a GP100, if I didn't already have one just like it I'd buy one.

mdewitt71, Would be a very simple matter to have a gunsmith ream the cylinder to .357 depth.
Reviews, there's a million reviews on a GP100, start right here,
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-action/48136-there-better-all-around-revolver-than-gp100-four-inch-barrel.html
Sal

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
My dealer said I can have it for $404 out the door.........
Thinkn HARD about getting it.

Will it shoot 38+P rounds?
Are 38s harder to find or more costly than 357?

Thanks guys for the info.
This would fill my requirement for the revolver shooting for my CCW as well and I would also have one for home and tagter shooting. Still carry my SR9C.

hittman

Staff member
$404 is CHEAP and you only live once! I've regretted more I did NOT buy than those I did.

.38 is cheaper than .357 by a good amount.

Not only will it handle +P and also +P+. Should be same exact frame and barrel as the .357 ~ just different sized holes in the cylinder.

rdf009

Single-Sixer

.38 special is probably the easiest to find handgun round in America. It is cetainly as easy to find as .357 mag, and generally will be about 20% cheaper than .357 mags.

I say go for it! This is a good deal on a good gun.

And yes, this gun will ABSOLUTELY handle .38+P rounds. It will handle loads far hotter than anything you could ever safely cram into a .38 special case.

Terry T

Buckeye
Dang Ca. 'safe gun' law - not on 'the list'. Can't bring them into Ca.
Love to add one to my fixed sight GP-100 collection. :(

Terry T

toysoldier

Hunter
I have a .38 Special Security-Six, and have not hesitated to make up some mild .357 loads for it. Just keep them well-marked and separated from the regular .38's.

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
rdf009 said:

.38 special is probably the easiest to find handgun round in America. It is cetainly as easy to find as .357 mag, and generally will be about 20% cheaper than .357 mags.

I say go for it! This is a good deal on a good gun.

And yes, this gun will ABSOLUTELY handle .38+P rounds. It will handle loads far hotter than anything you could ever safely cram into a .38 special case.

Cool, I think I am gonna add it my other Rugers.

opos

Buckeye
I just posted what I thought was a reply to this post and it came up a new post titled "gp100 in 38 special"...by opos....don't know what I did wrong but it's on the board...

glockman99

Single-Sixer
Terry T said:
Dang Ca. 'safe gun' law - not on 'the list'. Can't bring them into Ca.
Love to add one to my fixed sight GP-100 collection. :(

Terry T
So, what you are sayin' is that you can't buy a Ruger GP100 in .38 cal. in California? :shock:

Glockman, the deal is that the .38s aren't on the "safe gun list" so you can't buy them from an out of state dealer and "import" them into CA, and a CA dealer that happens to have one can't sell it to CA residents. But I CAN (and have) bought one directly from another private party here! That's legal.

.357 GP-100s ARE on the "safe gun list" so you CAN buy them in or out of state. HOW MUCH SENSE DOES THIS MAKE?

The moral here is, if your legislators start EVEN CONSIDERING "consumer protection" legislation that has ANYTHING to do with firearms or ammunition, recognize it for what it is--PURELY "STEALTH" ANTIGUN legislation.

Our so-called "Safe Gun" legislation is some of the most irrational law ever written, and it makes handgun ownership in CA a REAL pain in the neck, which was the intention all along.

You can see for yourself how much "safer" it makes us.....for example, a K-38 S&W made on February 26, 1962 is "safe"--you can "import" it. But one made on the same line to the same specs on February 27, 1962 is "unsafe" tonight--not "safe" until tomorrow.....and it goes on like that.

stantheman86

Buckeye
I have one of the older ones, from 2004 or so. Exact same gun, also have a blue half-lug .38 Special GP100 4" and a .38 GPNY. Nothing wrong with a fixed sight revolver, all my fixed sight GP's are tack drivers.

Think about it, how much .357 are ya actually gonna shoot anyway 8) My .357 revolvers see mostly .38's anyway. For $100 less than the .357 adjustable sight gun, it's a good deal. If I didn't already have several .38 GP100's I would jump on one.

glockman99

Single-Sixer
Mike Armstrong said:
Glockman, the deal is that the .38s aren't on the "safe gun list" so you can't buy them from an out of state dealer and "import" them into CA, and a CA dealer that happens to have one can't sell it to CA residents. But I CAN (and have) bought one directly from another private party here! That's legal.

.357 GP-100s ARE on the "safe gun list" so you CAN buy them in or out of state. HOW MUCH SENSE DOES THIS MAKE?

The moral here is, if your legislators start EVEN CONSIDERING "consumer protection" legislation that has ANYTHING to do with firearms or ammunition, recognize it for what it is--PURELY "STEALTH" ANTIGUN legislation.

Our so-called "Safe Gun" legislation is some of the most irrational law ever written, and it makes handgun ownership in CA a REAL pain in the neck, which was the intention all along.

You can see for yourself how much "safer" it makes us.....for example, a K-38 S&W made on February 26, 1962 is "safe"--you can "import" it. But one made on the same line to the same specs on February 27, 1962 is "unsafe" tonight--not "safe" until tomorrow.....and it goes on like that.
I sure do feel sorry for you folks in CA...It's a damn shame that (your) CA government doesn't realize that CA is still part of the USA and its' people SHOULD have the same gun rights that the rest of us Americans do...Shame on that "government"!