Bring Back The Ruger No. 3 !!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
Gun shops cant seem to sell enough single shot rifles these days, particularly carbines.

WHEN IS RUGER GOING TO BRING BACK THE NO.3 CARBINE 45-70??????

picketpin

Buckeye
I wouldn't look for it to ever happen. The market seems to being met by used ones.

They weren't big sellers and that's why Ruger dropped them.

With the new management and even more emphasis on profits and not stocking or making guns that don't sell, it's unlikely it'll happen.

Ross

BlkHawk73

Hunter
All thsoe selling so much are the inexpensive (under $200) NEF's or H&R's. Not exactly the same league as the #3's or #1's. These are more of a gentleman's rifle with a bit of class unlike the simple break opens. Most now won't pay the additional cost for a nicer firearm when an inexpensive alternative is available. Holds true even more so when the alternatives allow changeable bbls.
Two different clases of single shots.

Rifleman

Bearcat
I'd love to just find a #3 in 30-40 Krag. They are kinda scarce in these parts.

gunman42782

Hunter
If the #1s were not so expensive I would have at least a couple. I would buy a #3 if they could bring them back where a regular Joe could afford one.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
I just like carbines and I like single shot falling block rifles. The Ruger No. 1 is just too big and I would in fact be settling. If Ruger would equip the No. 3 with integral scope mounts, which just happen to be compatible with a particular type of peep sight- or better yet with an integral peep sight installed- I feel like the gun would be a winner.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I have proposed a #3 available in
357 max (38 & 357Mag)
44 Spec/44mag
454 Casull/45Colt
.22 Hornet
7.62x39
30-30
6.8SPC
45/70
450 Marlin
Winchester short mags
Have an oiled wood "cowboy" model with tang sight
have a synthetic with Pictinny rail and in the hard hitting calibers
have a high finish with color case, fancy wood, etc.
Make sight options, muzzlebrake, youth size stock, etc as affordable options
Even better, make it an interchangeable barrel setup, even a muzzleloader or Turkey gun option
KEEP THE PRICE WHERE WORKING FOLKS CAN AFFORD IT!
Bet that Ruger could sell a bunch of them

COFFEE POT

Bearcat
The #3 is the same action as the #1 which is where most of the cost is incurred. The #3 was only cheaper because of cosmetics. Any reintroduction would still only be able to be marginally less expensive than a #1.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Using the No. 1 actions it could be done without any noticeable cost in manufacturing. In fact, even a no.1 action with cosmetic scuffs could be blasted ala Remington's "express" models, for a run of no. 3 carbines for market-test purposes.

If Ruger is in control of their manufacturing system a second-line supervisor could make up a run of "No. 3 Special Issue" guns from No. 1 production, blasted finish or even target grey ! as an afterthought.

I believe a distributor could even have 5K made in a hunter's configuration, something in 32 caliber or larger please! We need a good woods-caliber carbine again!

My favorite No. 3 carries a 19" barrel (I believe Atkinson?) made up back in 1988, in 348 Winchester. :D

picketpin

Buckeye
It isn't going to happen. I just hope we can hang onto the #1 for a while longer before the bean counters signal it's end.

It was around and kept around s=due to the Old Man. Some of the pressures for profits were set back further on the burner in his life. Now that he's gone and ALL the Ruger family is out of the picture, it's just a matter of the profit margin.

The "S" with sights is gone because nobody bough them according to Ruger.
Yes they are making a bunch of big stiff. I can't think they can keep it in production by the numbers sold.

Yes, I know, a lot of you like and want one. On the other hand there is NO shortage of any of the calibers 405, 9mm etc for sale on the net at retail.

I personally think that niche is pretty small.

The Lipskey rifles are interesting and well thought out and even then they don't sell out in a hurry. No shortage of any of them at the original price and some are now actually a little under.

If and when they build the "A" in 250 Savage I'll pay the price and buy one. Even then I don't think they'll sell out over night.

The Whelen and the Roberts are still available at or near the original asking price.

If they made 5000 of anything, a lot would sit on the shelf for a very long time. That's lot's more than most calibers were ever produced in, in any given year and more than the total production for some years.

The #1 in general is a niche rifle. Most of the truly "popular" calibers have already been explored/produced. Many were failures in their time.

I don't look for new management to produce anything that is risky and that might sit for a prolonged period before they make their money back. Just not the way "business" is done any more.

RWT

Don Lovel

Hunter
Pakerized finish #3 action with 20" barrel in 454 Casull with pictinny rail for optic or iron sight options, Smith Arms style muzzlebrake and synthetic stock options

Same gun in Winchester short mags, or new 375 Ruger & wildcats off that cartridge, .223, .243, 260,7mm-08, 308 and make a youth stocked model too

oiled wood, colorcase finish, octagon barrel in 357 Max (38/357), 44 Mag, 454 Casull/45 Colt, 30-30, 38-55, 40-65, 45-70
Sight options, tang, Buckhorn, receiver

I think they would sell a bunch of them especially if they can keep the price where working folks, farmers, etc can afford them

picketpin

Buckeye
Don: This has entered the realm of a wish list.

It isn't going to happen.

They were discontinued because they didn't sell in quantities large enough to justify continued production.

The market is being met for #3s on the used market for about $500. No way they can do it new for that. No way they are going to introduce a bunch of cartridges of marginal interest, albeit some of your favorites.

You suggest they bring the price point down and then want it with a octagon barrel and a color case hardened frame, both of which cost money above and beyond standard production cost.

I"m afraid is you want a #3 in one of the calibers mentioned, you are going to have to make one.

RWT

engravertom

Bearcat
I suppose Ruger could buy a bunch of NEF handi rifles, spiff them up a bit, put the logo on them, and sell them for $399 as the Ruger #4 carbine.

:D

Tom

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Picketpin is probably right.

Ruger is dead. The Rugers are all gone. All that's left is Ruger Inc.

still, its too bad that the company never committed to modern manufacturing methods. Being that they still make all the pieces with the exception of the furniture, every change we've discussed so far is only a minor CNC program change away - hence my "2nd line supervisor could do it" comment..

But then, Ruger is dead... now run by marketing MBA types.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
And what do MBAs, Lawyers and Accountants do besides wreck companies and line their own pockets? Put the Engineers and Designers back in charge!

Chubbo

Bearcat
Hi All:
I just became the proud owner of a #3 in .22Hornet. I have wanted one of these little carbines for years. The wood on this one shows marks from use, but not anything bad, but I like this rifle so much, that I would like to find a nice stock, and fore arm blank, or I am thinking about giving it a re finish in an oil ribbed finish. has any one found a replacement, steel, or brass butt plate? I think this little carbine could be made into quite a looker. Any comments on this subject?
Chubb
:p

TBear77

Single-Sixer
One option that Ruger needs to consider.

The letter CEO Mike Fifer sent to shareholders mentions "flexable assembly cells". One of the positive features of this type assembly is that Ruger could build a production run of 1 and still make a profit.

The option would be to move the slower selling models to a 'build on order' basis. Basicaly a semi-custom shop, where they build a No-1 or No-3 to order. There would have to be some ground rules limiting what they'll do, such as: 'No new parts engineering' and 'Only in chamberings that Ruger currently has the reamers for'.

Although I'd like the idea of a true Ruger Custom Shop, I would settle for the ability to mix-and-match a No-1.

Ted

Latest posts