Ruger Quality control

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
Anybody have any insight on Rugers quality control? Every Ruger revolver I have bought except for my LCR has had to go back to Ruger for some reason or another. The reasons would be some of the following: over-rotated barrel, under rotated barrel, bent front sight, crooked rear sight, ammo wouldn't fully seat in cylinder. Three guns had TIGHT throats which I paid to have reamed out by other smiths. Two of my revolvers have been back to Ruger 2 and 3 times.

The latest is my .44spl FT. When I got it it had a bent front sight. I sent it back and they rebarreled it free of charge and reblued the whole gun. Cosmetically it looks great! I just got done cleaning it before the first shooting session and noticed the barrel is over-rotated and the forcing cone is uneven. Whats the deal?

I have a SBH Bisley Hunter in .45 colt. A real tack driver! I bought it and it had 2 lower grip frame screws missing. I now have 3 sets of grip frame screws coming....

I will say this, they do stand behind their guns but where does this stuff stop?

Blackhawk47

Bearcat
Been buying BKs and SBK since the early 60s and I own more then just a few, I have had only one problem that had to go back to Ruger on a BK 45Colt have 4800 rounds the ejector rod housing stud solder let go and it pulled out of the barrel.

Either you have broken a lot of mirrors and have the worst luck in the world or you are blowing smoke.

Dirknar

Bearcat
I have only purchased two ruger revolvers, a 50th 44mag and a 45 vaq. The 44 has been flawless. The 45 stopped functioning two days after i bought it. I had to disassemble it. The insides were very rough and a little rusty. The problem was a marted up rusty plunger, that was not letting it cock. It also n eeded the cylinder throats reemed. In the end I was glad i was able to fix it and polish some of the moving parts inside which resulted in a much smoother action. I did the same polish job on my 44 and would do it first thing on any new or used ruger i will purchase. But ya, they should be a little more refined before leaving ruger.

jbntx

Single-Sixer
Lefty SRH said:
... Every Ruger revolver I have bought except for my LCR has had to go back to Ruger for some reason or another...?

Then why do you keep buying Rugers?

I've bought enough Ruger pistols to reach to the moon and back, and I've
never had a problem with any of them.

I find your criticism of Ruger's quality control highly suspect and possibly
completely disingenuous at most.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
I'm not a brand loyal firearm shopper. I buy whatever is tickling my fancy at the time.

That said, I've had 3 ruger revolvers and 1 ruger semi auto. Only one had a problem and Ruger took care of it promptly and comletely.

The problem revolver was a BH in 30 carbine. On one chamber (same one, marked it for testing) the hammer would fall from full cock unless it was wracked back very hard.

Sent it to Ruger, 2 weeks or so later, it was delivered back to my house and it has had several hundred rounds through it since without a single issue.

My other Ruger firearms have performed flawlessly (as have firearms from many other makers).

Jeff

5of7

Hunter
I have returned 3 Ruger guns over the years, a Red Label, a 77/22 and a GP100. I currently own 23 Ruger firearms and have probably owned and later sold another 23 or so.

The Red Label did not put both patterns in the same place and they fixed it. I had another Red Label that had a rib on it that had a slight curve in it, but I ignored that. The 77/22 stock was rubbing the barrel on the left side, and had about a 1/8" gap on the other side....they said that it was "within specifications" and didn't fix it. The GP100 got so it wanted to hang up on two of the chambers making cocking difficult and double action shooting next to impossible....they fixed that one.

In short, I am not particularly impressed with Ruger's QC, but I like them enough that I still buy them. I just look them over carefully before I plunk down the money. 8)

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
They glady fix mine too, just a little tired of sending them back. Once they are home again they shoot great.

This is mostly a rant, I'm not dogging Ruger, just frustrated with the problems I've had with mine.

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
jbntx said:
Lefty SRH said:
... Every Ruger revolver I have bought except for my LCR has had to go back to Ruger for some reason or another...?

Then why do you keep buying Rugers?

I've bought enough Ruger pistols to reach to the moon and back, and I've
never had a problem with any of them.

I find your criticism of Ruger's quality control highly suspect and possibly
completely disingenuous at most.

You can think what you want, but I've seen the guns Lefty's talking about and unless he's a statistical anomaly, Ruger's QC needs a kick in the pants.

We're not talking about stuff that's so minor it could slip through the best inspection. These are OBVIOUS problems with the guns that should have had them pulled from the batch and fixed. The canted sight thing is pervasive, in my opinion. When I bought my 44 Special at the shop, I looked at THREE BRAND NEW guns that all had very obviously canted front sights. Now if you don't mind shooting a gun whose rear sight is almost falling out one side just to be able to get it shooting POA, then those guns would have been perfectly acceptable.

If you've bought a 45 caliber Blackhawk in the last 5 years (or more), you'll know that it seems almost impossible for Ruger to be able to produce a .45 caliber cylinder throat of the correct dimension. The cylinder throats on all my 45s have had to be reamed, they were WAY undersized. One of my 45 ACP cylinder's throats measured .448 to .449". WHY, Ruger, can you get the throats correct and consistent on your other calibers, but not on the .45s???

It is a good thing Ruger has such good customer service. And I love Rugers. That being said, I am trying more and more to only buy guns I can inspect before purchase; otherwise, I just go ahead and expect, especially if it's a new gun, that it might have to go back to the factory.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
I've been a huge Ruger guy for over 30 years now and still am. But I do have to agree the QC on the newer guns needs to be tightened up. Beyond the revolver problems mentioned here, light strike and trigger return problems seem to be at epidemic levels on the SR and LC9 poly series of semi-autos.
Anything made is going to have the occasional problem, but when you read about the same problems on the same guns over and over again you have to wonder why. Wouldn't it be cheaper for Ruger and better for PR to just address what is causing the recurring issues and fine a way fix them once and for all?
Sal

Ashlander

Single-Sixer
There are a lot of canted barrel complaints too on the S&W forum. Seems to be a problem for all the revolver makers. I wish I could observe the manufacturering process -- you'd think they would have a "travel stop" at 12 o'clock to keep the "wrench" from going too far and to make sure it went far enough. I would hate to think the guys are just doing this by look and feel???

Because I buy guns "off-the-shelf" I have been fortunate enough to be able to inspect guns before I buy them. I feel for all the guys who buy special orders or on-line -- they have already committed by the time they see that 12:01 or 11:59 (or worse!) barrel.

RR

Bearcat
Back, when Ruger first brought out the P85 I bought one it functioned fine but it couldnt hit the broad side of a barn at ten feet, I sent it back but they said it worked fine and wasn't in need of repair, I quickly sold it and havent even bothered to look at another Ruger semi auto since. I did, however, find an impecable specimen of a Super Blackhawk Hunter in .44Mag which I quickly snapped up, at the same time, I spied a 4 5/8 in barrelled .41 Mag Blackhawk in the same gun case and it was rough to say the least, it had a flat spot on the barrel I couldn't figure out and the clylinder didn't turn as smooth as it should have, the action on the Hunter was buttery smooth compared to the standard.

BigBlue

Single-Sixer
Ashlander said:
Because I buy guns "off-the-shelf" I have been fortunate enough to be able to inspect guns before I buy them. I feel for all the guys who buy special orders or on-line -- they have already committed by the time they see that 12:01 or 11:59 (or worse!) barrel.

Not a problem for ordering online guns if you inspect them before they are transferred to you at your local dealer. Just tell them it's not acceptable and have them send another.
Don

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Hammerdown77 said:
...One of my 45 ACP cylinder's throats measured .448 to .449". WHY, Ruger, can you get the throats correct and consistent on your other calibers, but not on the .45s???...

If you read the SAAMI spec and look at the leade dimension, you will know why. The numbers you quoted are within .45 ACP leade spec.

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
Iron Mike Golf said:
Hammerdown77 said:
...One of my 45 ACP cylinder's throats measured .448 to .449". WHY, Ruger, can you get the throats correct and consistent on your other calibers, but not on the .45s???...

If you read the SAAMI spec and look at the leade dimension, you will know why. The numbers you quoted are within .45 ACP leade spec.

Interesting!

trapperon

Blackhawk
The most understood one for me has been the canted barrel issue. I have had several new rugers with this problem, and have seen plenty on the shelves at gun shops as well. Whats puzzling to me is that I have never had an old model blackhawk or single six with this issue.

Maybe they just did it better "back then" or maybe we just hear about it more now because of the internet and free flowing information. (thanks Al Gore!)

Ron

Cholo

Staff member
I think Lefty's probably just had some really bad luck, though some of you stop just short of calling him a liar, or did you? I've read Lefty's other posts and he comes across as sincere and willing to help. It's not like he's the newbie who joins the Forum to trash Rugers and then disappears. Most of us don't expect FA quality, though there are a lot of us that wish Ruger would tighten their QC. Ruger has fixed Lefty's problems, except for the tight throats which he took care of himself. That shows me there has been a problem that Ruger was more than willing to fix. If they were within spec. they'd have shipped it back saying so.

QC problems happen with Colts, Smiths and Rugers etc. I have stories for all of them. Of course you'll hear more about Ruger's QC on a Ruger forum. I'm not blindly sticking up for their mishaps and I've said so. I do think that calling into question a Forum member's integrity (when there's been no past history to question it) because he's apparently had more than his fair share of problems lacks a certain class.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
I feel your pain in buying something and then finding it's not what it should be. My smooth bore experience on a S&W manufactured PPK/S was the worst case that I've had in a while. The K-22 that didnt have enough adjustment in the rear sight to get it on paper at 50' was another. I've had far fewer Ruger issues than with other manufacturers. Colts' off center recoil spring tunnels, slide overhang and slide/frame alignment put me off many pony autos. The SAA's that I've dealt with in recent years however were spot on. Almost all of my handguns now are Ruger Single Actions and they have had zero issues. Now I try to always closely look over a gun before I buy it. I spend 15 or 20 minutes checking one out. If it's not right I keep looking.

Best Regards,
ADP3

BigBlue

Single-Sixer
the fatman,
Unfortunately it's the problem guns that stand out. Start a post titled "How many here are happy with their Ruger SAs". I think you'll come away with a much better feel for them.
Don

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
the fatman said:
I'm thinking about ordering a couple of Ruger single actions. You guys are giving me a less than warm fuzzy feeling.

Inspect them before you pay for them if you can. I'm happy with mine AFTER a visit or two back to Ruger.

Latest posts