Hot .38 Special with H110?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rugerbilly

Bearcat
I've had my new Blackhawk .357 out to the range a few times, and I've been shooting mostly .38 Special reloads in it. One reload that I have tried is a pretty hot one - CCI550 magnum primer/125 gr. XTP/14.5 gr 2400. My data indicates that I can move up to a 158 gr. jacketed bullet with 13.5 grains of 2400, which should propel the bullet at approximately 1,300 fps.

Of course, my powder of choice for reloading high power ammunition for both .30 Carbine and .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk is H110.

I have never seen any reloading data for .38 Special using H110, however.

Has any of you found such data and reloaded for .38 Special +P++ using H110?

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
No, H-110 is unsuitable for the 38 spcl, maybe you can find some data in a dark alley somewhere. A medium to faster handgun powder is where you want to be, plenty of good ones out there.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Put that H-110 in the 357 magnum case and really think twice about hot-rodding the 38 special. Sure your Blackhawk can take it but what if one of those ultra-hot 38 specials gets away from you? 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Rugerbilly

Bearcat
Thanks for your input men.
I kind of thought that that is what I would hear.
For high speed .38 Special reloads, I'll stick with 2400 and Blue Dot, and for target velocity loads, Unique and Bullseye.
And, I am only reloading the higher power ammo with the brass cases from .38 Special +P factory loads.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
While one can load 38 spcl cases to the high side, when fired in a 357 mag gun I never liked the idea of doing so. I don't care how careful one is, there is the potential for that load to end up in the likes of a 'J' frame S&W 38 spcl etc.. It's just one detail in our favor to avoid such a mix-up down the road.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I hear alot of people like Blue Dot in the .38 Special but I've never had any luck with it. Velocity is always way off published data even in a long barrel and it leaves alot of residue. Am I missing something here?

Rugerbilly

Bearcat
sourdough44 said:
While one can load 38 spcl cases to the high side, when fired in a 357 mag gun I never liked the idea of doing so. I don't care how careful one is, there is the potential for that load to end up in the likes of a 'J' frame S&W 38 spcl etc.. It's just one detail in our favor to avoid such a mix-up down the road.

Well, that is a good point you've made. I do see what you mean here, and this could certainly be a danger. And this is why on the days that I take the Blackhawk .357 to the range, I do not shoot my J-frame Smith & Wessons at the same session.
I shoot the J-frame concealed carry .38 Specials only on days when I am shooting Blackhawks in other calibers. That way, there is no chance of mixing up ammo and getting a hot reload intended for the Blackhawk in one of my J-frame Smith & Wessons.
Also, all of my reloaded ammunition is carefully and clearly marked.

Rugerbilly

Bearcat
FergusonTO35 said:
I hear alot of people like Blue Dot in the .38 Special but I've never had any luck with it. Velocity is always way off published data even in a long barrel and it leaves alot of residue. Am I missing something here?

Excessive residue I have not noticed. And I have had good accuracy with 110 gr JHP bullets on top of 8.1 gr Bluedot. Again, this is a +P+ load, intended for .357 magnum revolvers only.

44shootist

Single-Sixer
I don't see any loads for 38spL using H110 either, all I find is 357+P loads for H110. I like to use Win. 231 myself for 38spL

Have you looked on Hodgdon powders web site at the loads they list? they have lots of free loading data using their powder there.

Might not hurt to try a new powder I know H110 is your pet powder but you might find there are many others that work very well.

Rugerbilly said:
Lee Martin said:
Use 2400 for hot 38's. And I agree, H110 isn't a good choice.

13.5 gr 2400 behind a 158 gr bullet is a favorite load of Elmer Keith, according to Handloads.com

I was of the impression that particular load was an all a round load for a .357 mag. It works well in my 3 inch sp-101
gramps

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
Worst case scenario, the reloader met an untimely demise, happens all the time. After a few months of grieving most of the reloads are given away to a distant relative who happens to be a shooter. Yes, he's read about cautions with another's reloads, but he trusted the work of Uncle 'Joe'.

He eventually gets around to shooting the upper end 38's in his older J frame. I don't think it's to hard to imagine it playing out like that. If anyone ends up with my reloads, they can shoot with confidence. Just throwing out ideas.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I'm not sure what you would gain by using H110 in .38's, unless maybe you were trying to create some near-.357 +P+ loads. I have always found the .38 Special is at its best with medium rate powders such as Accurate #5. In fact many of them will achieve factory +P velocity with a standard pressure charge.

CraigC

Hawkeye
13.5gr 2400 is the classic Keith .38-44 load using his 173gr bullet. Never seen any H110 data though.

As usual the safety police are out in full force with all manner of wild far-fetched scenarios. What some folks don't realize is that if you want to use the Keith bullet in some .357 sixguns, you have to use .38 cases due to length. As with the .45Colt, it is not a big deal to either mark your cartridge boxes with warnings as to pressures, color code your cartridge boxes or assemble your heavy loads with either a different headstamp or bullets that are too long for inappropriate firearms.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
CraigC said:
As usual the safety police are out in full force with all manner of wild far-fetched scenarios...
We should all be the 'safety police' and use good judgement at all times in our reloading hobby. If I see someone that is doing something unsafe on the firing line I will say something to them. That is the responsible thing to do.

I can think of no good reason to load 'super-hot' 38special loads when the same load could be put in a 357mag case and shot in a 357magnum revolver. It reminds me of putting poison in an unmarked container. ....not a good idea. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

CraigC

Hawkeye
That is because you do not own a S&W .38-44 revolver, I presume. Nor do you use the Keith bullet in a .357 that has a cylinder too short for that bullet in magnum brass. Both are broadly accepted, safe practices among those who know. Just because YOU do not have a use for something, does not make it useless.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
CraigC said:
That is because you do not own a S&W .38-44 revolver, I presume. Nor do you use the Keith bullet in a .357 that has a cylinder too short for that bullet in magnum brass. Both are broadly accepted, safe practices among those who know. Just because YOU do not have a use for something, does not make it useless.
Perhaps you misunderstood me or perhaps I wasn't exactly clear. What I wanted to say was I see no reason to load super hot 38specials if you don't have to. Sure I understand there are exceptions to most general safety rules but I still think good advise is "don't do something risky if you don't have to".
BTW, I have loaded a few extra long bullets in 38special cases at higher than 38special pressures, but I don't advise that as a normal way to do reloading. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Latest posts