SR22 - Who's getting one?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mattsbox99 said:
When it has a threaded barrel it'll interest me.

I've had the Sig and Walther, neither of which were significantly reliable or accurate. It appears the SR22 is much more reliable. I have MKIIIs for pure accuracy. This one will make a good host for suppressors.

Ruger will have available a replacement threaded barrel for this model on their Shopruger.com website from what I have heard...

pappyd

Bearcat
SoliDeoGloria said:
I doubt Ruger is offering this as a "competition" to the Mark III or 22/45 lines. This is new market stuff.

I don't see how it won't poach away sales from the Mark III or especially the 22/45.

revhigh

Hawkeye
pappyd said:
SoliDeoGloria said:
I doubt Ruger is offering this as a "competition" to the Mark III or 22/45 lines. This is new market stuff.

I don't see how it won't poach away sales from the Mark III or especially the 22/45.

It's not the same class of gun. Nobody currently considering a MK or 22/45 would buy this thing instead if they knew what they were doing. It's a casual plinker from what I've read and heard, which is fine if that's what you're looking for. As much as the MK's and 22/45's can be considered that as well .... they are far more target and accuracy oriented ... even straight from the factory with no mods a MK or 22/45 would blow the SR22 away in accuracy and trigger. It wouldn't even be close.

I have no doubt it's a nice little gun if you're in the market for a gun like that. Just not my cup of tea ... as other polymers aren't either.

REV

pappyd

Bearcat
It's not the same class of gun. Nobody currently considering a MK or 22/45 would buy this thing instead if they knew what they were doing.

That's why you get paid the big bucks, Rev. Silly me assumed that Ruger wouldn't intentionally make an inferior product at a roughly equivalent price point. I have a lot to learn.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Heck fellows, we live in the USA! We don't have to choose.
I have a Standard Auto made in 1949, another made in 1950. A Mark 1 Target, a Mark II Target, Mark III Hunter, an Anniversary 22 auto, a Bersa 22, a couple of High Standard 22 revolvers, a couple of Bearcats, a few of the new 1911 22 autos, a bunch of Single-Sixes, and some more that I have forgotten.

I love 22 revolvers and pistols. Rifles too.

Buy all you want. They'll make more!

Better than putting money in the bank. Inflation does not hurt the value of a good handgun.

Jeff

bspitt

Single-Sixer
I cant wait to get mine!!..should be here Friday or saturday. Will it replace my 22/45 mark III?....HECK no!!! but it will complement my collection and be loads of fun to plink with. I have 4 boys ...ages 18-8. They love to shoot with me, especailly my 10/22 & mark III. My younger boys always want to try the larger centerfire semi-auto because of the "cool" factor, but recoil is always too much for them to handle. I have wanted a walther P22 or Sig misquito for a long time, but have not got one due to the MANY reports of failures with bulk ammo. Accoring to early reports...wont have that problem with this one. Nothing beats an afternoon shooting & teaching my boys the ins & outs of shooting.

revhigh

Hawkeye
pappyd said:
Silly me assumed that Ruger wouldn't intentionally make an inferior product at a roughly equivalent price point. I have a lot to learn.

Huh ???

WOW !!! :roll:

REV

NixieTube

Blackhawk
+1 to Revhigh and others. I still want a Mark III with a set of checkered Rosewood target grips before I would go for one of these, but I can see Ruger's really trying to fill all the niches here. It is a nice price, and they did do a nice job moulding the frame and magazine. It looks like it was done right.

Ruger stirs the pot some more....

It's really an apples/oranges comparison with a Mark III though. They're just very different guns, vastly different weights, different performance both in terms of muzzle velocity, aftermarket options, barrel lengths available, everything.

OK it's pushing out probably 10% less muzzle velocity on the same ammo. as a Mark III Target 5.5" barrel. And yeah, it's probably never going to be as intrinsically accurate. But it only weighs !!18 ounces!!

One thing that I don't like about it is that the safety/decocker is backward from the SR series guns. Also I'm a little nervous about the longevity/durability of that takedown lever. I hope it's not as flimsy as it looks, or starts falling down all by itself.

I'll bet it's less expensive for Ruger to manufacture than a Mark III of any variety. So it's probably going to be a profitable gun. I think it'll be popular if the reliability and quality are there. And if it's a profitable gun for Ruger, that's good, because profitable companies keep coming out with cool products and treat their customers well.

In the end I'm glad they did something completely new rather than try to morph the Mark III into something it's not supposed to be or try some kind of Frankenstein work on it. This is good - it's a totally different gun, a new choice, in a different niche entirely.

Since I have weakness for buying many of Rugers newest products, this little .22 will not be an exception.

I do expect to own one. :D

Does anybody remember what the family friend told Dustin Hoffman in the Graduate? Roughly, the future is "Plastics", my boy!

WAYNO.

luvmyruger

Blackhawk
Jeff Quinn said:
Heck fellows, we live in the USA! We don't have to choose.
I have a Standard Auto made in 1949, another made in 1950. A Mark 1 Target, a Mark II Target, Mark III Hunter, an Anniversary 22 auto, a Bersa 22, a couple of High Standard 22 revolvers, a couple of Bearcats, a few of the new 1911 22 autos, a bunch of Single-Sixes, and some more that I have forgotten.

I love 22 revolvers and pistols. Rifles too.

Buy all you want. They'll make more!

Better than putting money in the bank. Inflation does not hurt the value of a good handgun.

Jeff

As always Jeff, you make so much sense out of everyones sillyness. Like all guns that come out, not everyone will like every gun. I encourage everyone to buy the gun or guns that appeal to them. Support the gun industry. Without it, your second amendment rights will slowly disappear.

Shooter X

Bearcat
Found one in my local gun shop today, left with it and went to the range. Put a couple hundred rounds through it. Had two failure to feeds using the cheapest of cheap ammo. Gun came with two grips. The smaller ones will fit my wife and daughters hands very well, which is why i bought it in the first place. Neat little gun. I like it.