SR22 - Who's getting one?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Three50seven

Buckeye
I'll probably be getting one when I get some excess funds. Looks like a perfect gun for in the boat or on the trap line where weight and ease-of-carry are important.

DLM

Bearcat
I think 22LR is about the most affordable cartridge to shoot these days. Also no bullet casting or reloading, and I don't worry where the brass falls 'cause I'm not needing it to reload it. Ruger is just listening to the market and making what they think will sell. Right now the market is for 22lr. It is appealing. Too bad it does look like the Walther.. But I'm a revolver guy. KNR4 at hand and an LCR 22 on the way.

croscoe

Bearcat
It looks like a decent enough pistol, but I'm a diehard MK fan. The one thing that makes me cringe about the SR22 is why would they feel the need to have SR22 "PISTOL" printed on the slide? Isn't it obviously a pistol? Anyhow, looks neat other than that. :)

SoliDeoGloria

Bearcat
croscoe said:
It looks like a decent enough pistol, but I'm a diehard MK fan. The one thing that makes me cringe about the SR22 is why would they feel the need to have SR22 "PISTOL" printed on the slide? Isn't it obviously a pistol? Anyhow, looks neat other than that. :)

Maybe they wanted to distinguish between the SR22 pistol and SR22 rifle? Who knows. I like it anyway :D

t-reg

Single-Sixer
wlhump said:
Several comments:

#2) I have to admit I am a little disappointed in this offering. I would have hoped (keeping in line with the above reasoning) that the SR22 would be a .22 LR version of the SRXXX line. I would be real nice to have the option to practice with a .22LR with all the same controls, grip, etc as the SR family of center fires. Again, just my opinion.

+1000!

Maybe a nice little .22, but what a huge opportunity wasted!

Unless there is a redesign of the SR9/40 coming down the pipe.

bigheaddaddy

Single-Sixer
I have a S&W model 2213 that is very similar to this new Ruger, but likely made from better materials.

I am a Ruger man from way back, but if I needed to replace my 2213, I would likely buy the Bersa Thunder 22 instead of this new Ruger. Bersa may not get a lot of respect, but my Thunder 380 is a very solid shooter.

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
I have several .22 handguns (Walther PP Sport, S&W 617, Ruger Single Six (2 of 'em), High Standard) but when I competed in a .22 action match, none of my guns really fit the bill. I borrowed a Browning Buck Mark and really liked it.

I decided to look into a .22 semi-auto pistol to simulate my center fire handguns.

Walther, Sig Mosquito, and 1911 .22 pistols with those weird lightweight slides that keep cracking or shearing off are out.

The only thing I don't like about the Ruger 22/45 is that you can't slingshot the bolt, you have to hit the slide release.

Perhaps the new S&W M&P 22 would be okay as I have heard the slides are true aluminum and not that weird metal that begins with the letter z.

But this new Ruger SR22 looks to be just what I'm looking for. After Jeff Quinn's Gunblast review that it shot all kinds of ammo, I think I need this SR22!

REP1954

Blackhawk
Ruger Nut said:
Wow,that's a bad a** pistol! How much do you think they will sell for? I'de like to get one! 8)

acrylictnk has them for sale in the classified section for $309.00 shipped. I got the #2 spot on ordering.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
That thing is akin to them having built a 4" single action break-open .22 revolver and calling it the "new" SP101 in .22LR!

leejack

Single-Sixer
If this turns out to be a reliable, accurate little gun without the early production recalls, it could be a winner.

Think about how freakin ugly some of the .22 autos are......

This one looks decent, hopefully it will perform.

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
One thing I noticed is that the web site states that the slide is made of aluminum. The Walther has a die cast slide. I am not sure of the material
but I know it is not aluminum.

Hopefully the gun holds up well and is reliable.

Hip Shot

revhigh

Hawkeye
If it can't hang with the MK's in terms of accuracy, and trigger .... not personally interested.

Looks like a very 'LCP-like' trigger.

REV

steenroller

Bearcat
I probably will not get one although it looks like a good pistol. I had a Walther P22 and got rid of it. It was too small for my hands. I prefer my MK IIs and 22/45. Even my daughter would rather shoot a MK II over the P22.

revhigh

Hawkeye
It's tough to out-do any of the MK's or 22/45's in almost any category.

I guess if you like little plastic replicas of larger caliber 'combat pistols', it would appeal to you. And ... I guess if the size is equal, it could be a good training tool, just like a 22 1911 would be. I'm sure it's a nice shooting gun ... just not my style.

One thing I REALLY like is how Ruger integrated the mag pad into the grip ... that is very nicely done.

REV

mattsbox99

Hunter
When it has a threaded barrel it'll interest me.

I've had the Sig and Walther, neither of which were significantly reliable or accurate. It appears the SR22 is much more reliable. I have MKIIIs for pure accuracy. This one will make a good host for suppressors.

Danno

Bearcat
Have a 22/24 MK III....and I am enjoying the living daylights out of it. What a hoot. While I like the looks of the new SR22, I don't think I'll give up the 22/45 just yet. Nor do I feel the need to add another 22.

If I do, it'll be a 22 revolver. Just for more fun.

Latest posts