Ruger .308 semi-auto possibility ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
It seems like Ruger has had more new offerings in the recent past than at anytime I can remember.

Do any of you think that Ruger will try again to make a semi-auto .308?

Who besides me would be interesting in such an animal? What is the most that you would be willing to pay for one?

Your thoughts...

johnqpublic

Bearcat
I am indeed interested in a Ruger to compete with the Springfield Armory M1A and have "told the CEO" on Ruger's site. Right now SA has no real competition in this category and if priced right Ruger could really do well. I like the SA M1A but there is no way I can spend around $1400 for one...if Ruger could offer one for around $750-800 range I would buy one :wink:

NYC_Shooter

Bearcat
Very interested. Would love a full length stock. Open to caliber options but .308 would be a great start.

mrgaf

Single-Sixer
+1..... I recently sold my standard M1A by SA. It was poorly made, poor workmanship and was a jam-o-matic (factory mil spec 165gr ammo). The M14 I carried plying the rivers in 'Nam was 100% better in every way. C'mon Ruger....build us one!

EVR

Single-Sixer
I'd love to see a slightly different twist, or maybe better put, a different model of the same gun you guys are interested in; a true hunting version in several different calibers.

A .243, .260 Rem, .308, .358 Win caliber list would pretty good stuff and maybe they could do it with "Scout Options" {forward rail, etc}.

Problem is, I'm actually not 100% sure they could do it for significantly less than a SA. Maybe their start basic rifle wouldn't be $1400 or whatever as mentioned, but I think they'd have trouble in the modern economy getting one out at less than $1000, and there seem to be fewer and fewer people these days with a grand plus laying around for a gun.

But man, they are going to HAVE to rip a page out of their Mini Story and make sure the thing SHOOTS right out of the box.

No jams. Great accuracy.

Tall orders.

but I think they'd have trouble in the modern economy getting one out at less than $1000, and there seem to be fewer and fewer people these days with a grand plus laying around for a gun.

Maybe, maybe not. It is hard to even find some of the expensive guns. (Like the SCAR H. Or even the Kel Tec.) I just heard on the radio this morning that the instant check system hit a new record. Something like 3.5 million checks in a month. And the previous record was the month before that. So there ARE lots of people buying lots of guns! (Now, if I drop dead tomorrow, those numbers are going to go WAY down!)

Gregg

Snake45

Hawkeye
johnqpublic said:
I am indeed interested in a Ruger to compete with the Springfield Armory M1A and have "told the CEO" on Ruger's site. Right now SA has no real competition in this category and if priced right Ruger could really do well. I like the SA M1A but there is no way I can spend around $1400 for one...if Ruger could offer one for around $750-800 range I would buy one :wink:
+1 on all that but I doubt they could bring it in at much under 1K.

I think there's somewhat more chance that Ruger would bring out an AR-type rifle in .308 before they tooled up a new M14. :?

mattsbox99

Hunter
I'd pay $1200 for a Ruger SR762/XGI. I do NOT want a .308 AR though.

I want something with a 18" threaded barrel, adjustable gas block, cerakote on the metal, walnut stock, ruger bases, and preferably as close to a Mini in terms of reliability. They could make a few models too, one with a synthetic stock and rails for those that want that stuff.

They have the design in the Mini, just need to scale it up. The new barrels should be plenty accurate.

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
mattsbox99 said:
I'd pay $1200 for a Ruger SR762/XGI. I do NOT want a .308 AR though.

I want something with a 18" threaded barrel, adjustable gas block, cerakote on the metal, walnut stock, ruger bases, and preferably as close to a Mini in terms of reliability. They could make a few models too, one with a synthetic stock and rails for those that want that stuff.

They have the design in the Mini, just need to scale it up. The new barrels should be plenty accurate.

You and I are on the same page mattsbox99. When I made this post I didn't even consider a AR type or gun. I know there are plenty of people that ARs appeal to but I'm not one of them. The price point you mention is a little high for me but may be realistic.

Snake45

Hawkeye
mattsbox99 said:
I don't want a "scaled up" Mini-14. If they're going to do it, they should do it as a GI-spec M14 type, able to use GI and GI compatible parts and accessories, just the way they did the 1911 and AR.

johnqpublic

Bearcat
If the Ruger SR556-E can be found for $950ish I truly believe Ruger could sell an M14-variant with synthetic stock for $1000, maybe $1200 if equipped with walnut stock.

EVR

Single-Sixer
As much as we want what we want, the truth is, it would be a AR10/SR25 type rifle.

You all know it's true.

But we can all wish for a Ruger "M14".

And while we are at it, let's press them for a Ruger SRFAL.

;)

What about a Mini-30 action on the Gunsight Scout Rifle .308 platform. It would seem to be an easy transition for Ruger to test the waters without high development costs. Maybe a Lipseys special.

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
steveodtw said:
What about a Mini-30 action on the Gunsight Scout Rifle .308 platform. It would seem to be an easy transition for Ruger to test the waters without high development costs. Maybe a Lipseys special.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying. The .308 won't fit the Mini action and I'm not at all interested in 7.62x39.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a lot about manufacturing but I don't see how there can be much difference in production costs of and AR vs M14 type of rifle. Now that I think about it... If they can produce a Mini at a certain price point why can't they scale it up and produce an M14 at a similar or slightly higher price.

Thanks for listening to my miscellaneous ramblings. :roll:

mattsbox99

Hunter
Snake45 said:
mattsbox99 said:
I don't want a "scaled up" Mini-14. If they're going to do it, they should do it as a GI-spec M14 type, able to use GI and GI compatible parts and accessories, just the way they did the 1911 and AR.

That is likely how it would happen, but I think a .308 AR would come before a Ruger M14.

Latest posts