Model 77/44 carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

elkhunter

Bearcat
Hi to all! I am new to this forum so bare with me. I recently purchased a 77/44 carbine and can't seem to get it to group any better than a 4 or 5 inch group at 100 yards. How are others doing? Any help or advise?I was hoping to hunt with this rifle but would like to shoot better groups. Thanks , happy shootin' !

wwb

Hunter
A good barrel scrubbing after a few "break-in" shots (including copper removal) will often help a new rifle. With a .44, a 2" group is about as good as it's going to get, and you may have to try several ammo types to get that. 2" at 100 yards, though, qualifies as "minute of whitetail"... and if you're considering shots much over 100 yards, a .44 ain't the rifle... the energy is falling off pretty fast, and the trajectory is starting to look like a rainbow. Inside of 100 yards, it's hard to beat a short, light .44.

I shoot a 96/44, and get my best groups with a 240 grain Hornady XTP loaded just a bit under max - 1.5 to 1.75 inch 3-shot groups. Any other 240 grain jacketed softnose or hollowpoint shoots 2 to 2.5 inch groups. It shoots fair with 300 grain bullets, and lousy with 200 grain bullets.

se3388

Bearcat
I think you might find that the Hornady XTP HP's will just about the best grouping in our 44's.

Steve E.............

Skip Sackett

Bearcat
I have a thread here where I was bemoaning getting 1 1/2" groups @ 100 yards!

Do you handload? Was that with factory ammo?

One thing to remember, this is not a high powered rifle. That bullet is in the barrel for a long time. Anything you do until it leaves will affect accuracy. Hold the muzzle down when shooting from a bench. Do not allow free recoil. This is the only way you are going to determine ammunition's accuracy with this rifle. Get it sighted in like that and then use some support and shoot like you would when hunting or using it for whatever you are going to use it for.

I took a bit of water soluble valve grinding compound to mine. More strokes at the chamber end and only about 30 or 40 strokes, total. Just enough to get rid of the machining marks.

These rifles have a fast twist which is better for heavy bullets BUT, I did get my 1 1/2" groups with a 240gr XTP @ 1800fps. The load is with a MILSURP powder, WC820 and it loads with H110/W296 data. Mine is a little slower than that even and is outside of the current published data for H110/W296. No pressure signs in my rifle though and again, it is accurate.

Hope this helps.

elkhunter

Bearcat
I am shooting Hornady Leverevolution 225 grain bullets from a rest and shooting 100 yards. I hunt in heavy timber so a 100 yard shot would be about max. I would be happy to shoot two inch groups off the rest if possible, thanks.

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
My rifle is blue/walnut and I bought it in 1998 - it shoots well with Hornady 265 bullets over 23 grains of H110.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

elkhunter

Bearcat
Your 1998 blue/walnut rifle, is it a bolt action carbine or lever? Is that 265 grain bullet the hornady? thanks.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Try some heavier bullets. All my various 44 ruger rifles have shoot best with bullets over 250 grains. 240s are accurate enough but 255 grain hard cast or 250 grain nosler partitions are extremely accurate.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
As mentioned in another thread about the 77/44 some of the older rifles didn't shoot nearly as good as the newer rifles with the synthetic stock. I believe there might have been some bolt or other issues that Ruger addressed with the new run of 77/44's

If you are shooting factory ammo try Federal Classic or American Eagle soft or hollow points. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Skip Sackett

Bearcat
elk,
Find someone that reloads. Take him your cases and ask him to load up a maximum load of H110 and a Hornady 240gr XTP. There is no need for a heavier bullet than that. With H110/W296 starting off with a maximum load is not dangerous as they don't recommend reducing that powder much anyway. There is NO way you can get enough of that powder in a case to blow up your gun. You can do worse with that combo if you load too light and stick a bullet followed by a full power load.

Try it, you will like it! ;)

elkhunter

Bearcat
I will have to try that an see what happens, my rifle is the bolt action camo carbine, great gun but I want to group a little better like I said, I'll take your advise and see how it goes. Thanks a lot!

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I purchased a 77/44 bolt gun a few years back and 4" groups with a wandering zero were the best it would do. I tried for about a year to find a fix but could not. I suppose the saving grace was that these rifles are no longer made and easy to resell, which is what I did.

pricedo

Bearcat
wwb said:
A good barrel scrubbing after a few "break-in" shots (including copper removal) will often help a new rifle. With a .44, a 2" group is about as good as it's going to get, and you may have to try several ammo types to get that. 2" at 100 yards, though, qualifies as "minute of whitetail"... and if you're considering shots much over 100 yards, a .44 ain't the rifle... the energy is falling off pretty fast, and the trajectory is starting to look like a rainbow. Inside of 100 yards, it's hard to beat a short, light .44.

I shoot a 96/44, and get my best groups with a 240 grain Hornady XTP loaded just a bit under max - 1.5 to 1.75 inch 3-shot groups. Any other 240 grain jacketed softnose or hollowpoint shoots 2 to 2.5 inch groups. It shoots fair with 300 grain bullets, and lousy with 200 grain bullets.

I'm getting about 1"-11/2" @ 100 yds (FTX bullet) with my 96/44 topped by a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-5x40mm scope using the Hornady 225 grain LeveRevolution factory ammo.

RJ556

Buckeye
Elkhunter and Dfletcher, I had the same results with my 77/44 when I shot it off a bench with the fore end rested directly on the front sandbag fore end rest. When I started holding the fore end in my off (left) hand, my groups were cut in half. The gun must start bouncing on the rest before that slow moving bullet leaves the barrel. Try it.

buck460XVR

Bearcat
dfletcher said:
I purchased a 77/44 bolt gun a few years back and 4" groups with a wandering zero were the best it would do. I tried for about a year to find a fix but could not. I suppose the saving grace was that these rifles are no longer made and easy to resell, which is what I did.

The older 77/44s did have problem with accuracy, one reason they stopped making them. The new 77/44s currently being produced are as accurate as any other handgun caliber carbine. I too have found supporting the fore end with my hand as opposed to resting it directly on a solid surface improves accuracy. Also the triggers are pretty stiff for the first thousand rounds, so either shoot it a lot and wear it in, polish it up or replace it with an aftermarket trigger and sear and you'll find accuracy improves. There is no "squeeze" to the stock trigger, it must be pulled like you're shooting a shotgun. I too get under 2'' groups with mine @ 100 yards. It has quickly become my "go to" rifle for deer when I feel I need something other than my revolvers.