hammer spring (new vaquero)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cowboy Billy

Single-Sixer
Can anyone tell me the hammer spring tension for the new vaquero? I found wolf has a kit with a 14lb hammer spring. That seems pretty lite to me. So it has me wondering. :roll:

flatgate

Hawkeye
The large framed Ruger Single Actions use a 23# mainspring and the Old Army had one a wee bit heavier at 25#.

I've put the Old Army springs in many of my .44 mag. and .45 cal. Blackhawks.

14 lb spring? That lockwork had better be slick.....

Of course, used in CAS it's not a big deal. In the woods things are different.

JMHO,

flatgate

PS I forgot to mention that the New Vaquero and some other Ruger S.A.'s (with the mainspring strut lock mechanism) have "soft mainsprings". I'm not certain what the spring's rating is but I just am uneasy with it in a "self defense" firearm. JMHO, YMMV, etc.

221293135.jpg

The "shorter" components are common with the lock systems.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
cayuse jack said:
Pretty sure that factory weight is 17lb... The 14lb hammer springs will work just fine in the New Vaquero's, they should even set off CCI primers.

But the lock time could take you into next week. :)

I notice a huge difference in lock time between my Bisley NMBH with a factory spring and my Lipsey's 44Spl. I've gotta believe a weaker spring would have a detrimental effect on accuracy. I'd like a heavier spring for the 44Spl.

Cowboy Billy

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies, I thought it was light. Lock time is a concern, And effects accraucy.