IOWEGAN Gun Guides

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JMHO

If someone wanted to sell you his own personally-purchased original copy of one of the Gun Guides, I cannot see that there would be any problem. If I had a spare, I'd offer it to you, but I don't.

If someone were to offer to COPY his own Guide and sell you that copy, I would think that to be a copyright violation.

I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on the 'net.

JMHO
:)

Bkat

Blackhawk
zac0419 said:
Looking to buy the actual IOWEGAN SA and DA guide book. I'm not looking for a illegal copy. I missed out and IOWEGAN is not making any more of these. I was going to ask this over at .net but the are declaring it a .net infraction to sell the actual books (not copies). I'm sure someone here bought a spare and you can legally sell them if they are original. If this improper here too, feel free to delete.

I know it's a long shot but anyone want to help me out?

He has them for sale, or did last year when I bought one. His email addresses are:

[email protected] or [email protected]

Good luck!

Bkat

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
Apparently not.
from another site;

11-21-11
Forum members and lurkers,
Since January 2010, I have printed and sold several "batches" of Iowegan Gun Guides (non-profit) on the Ruger Forum in an effort to recruit new members. This worked out well for a while but the last batch was a disaster. Postage rates went up, printing costs went up, I got a couple bad checks, and I had $1500 worth of books left over. I ended up selling the remainder of the books at gun shows in order to recoup most of my losses.

There have been several requests to purchase Gun Guides and I fully intended to have more printed this fall. Sorry but I decided to call it quits. As you may know, it's a lot of work keeping track of sales, addressing, packaging, and sending books. Additionally, it's a huge investment on my part. If things work out ... I break even. If not, I lose money that I can't afford to lose, which is a high risk in these trying times.

If you were one of the people that requested a Gun Guide, please accept my apologies.

While on the subject .... the old Iowegan Books of Knowledge (IBOKs) were pulled off the forum over two years ago due to copyright issues. They are no longer available so please don't ask.

Thanks,
Iowegan"

Hairtrigger

Single-Sixer
I have kept my free copies but never really used them.... maybe I am missing something here

Pinecone

Blackhawk
The books written by Iowegan (both the Guides & Books of Knowledge) were and are, very informative and very well written. I mentioned infringement problems on this forum in the past. Iowegan found out the hardway! I have a very good friend whose wife writes books. I also have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 gunsmithing notebooks I have put together over 45 years of gunsmithing. Some of them would sell like "hotcakes"! After talking to my friend in depth, he gave me about a "100" good reasons to "change" my thinking. None of "my" notebooks will ever be on the market either, at least not while I'm alive!.........................Dick :wink:

Quote from IOWEGAN on the "other" Ruger forum site:

"Gun Guides are copyrighted, just like any other book. As such, they can not be legally copied but the origional document can be bought, sold, or traded (think used book store). I sold the Gun Guides at "break even" prices but again like any other book, the owner can sell them for any price they want."

hittman

Staff member
Respecting other peoples property is why I try hard to NOT quote RENE but rather refer folks to the link so they can contact Chet15 directly.

infantryman

Single-Sixer
Hairtrigger said:
I have kept my free copies but never really used them.... maybe I am missing something here

+1. Sorry, I never really got much out of those guides that was not apparent when you study the weapon a little. Nice little read but not so much as the web chat led onto!!Maybe I'm missing something too????

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I got one of the early (I think) emailed versions of the GP-100 IBOK books. Lots of good info in there. I wonder about copyright laws on email books?? I believe information that is freely available on the net is fair game as long as the person disseminating stuff is not profiting from the sale of it. Isn't that the principle of 'fair use' and 'open source'?? 8) 8)

...Jimbo

hittman

Staff member
Jimbo I think you're probably right but ...... I'm not a lawyer, try to avoid many of them, and don't like the "gray" areas.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
hittman said:
Jimbo I think you're probably right but ...... I'm not a lawyer, try to avoid many of them, and don't like the "gray" areas.
I'm sure glad my intellectual property isn't worth disseminating. It saves me a lot of sleepless nights. :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

...Jimbo

zac0419

Single-Sixer
It strikes me as odd that he says that he doesn't want to profit but does want to control how they're distributed. If it was really just for the greater good he would post it on the net for everyone. Someone suggested he sell digital copies, (no worries about overhead of printing) but he said he would have to accept peoples' honesty to not copy it and send it off. Why would that matter if he is not interested in making money? I have no problem with people trying to make profits, it's just frustrating. He made this extremely valuable resource, that he says produced "If it works out, I break even", but restricts how to get it.

Quote from .net "The IBOK's / Gun Guides WILL NOT and CANNOT be sold via this forum from anyone other than Iowegan.To do so violates U.S. copyright laws."

So they're even making up there own versions of current laws to make it more difficult to obtain a book that was released "not for profit."

Don't mind me, I'm just jaded that I want one and can't get it. It cannot be copied and won't ever be reproduced. They have effectively made it so someone has to have extra printings or break the law for me to be able to read it. If you did buy "SA or DA Gun Guide" extras, I'd like to buy it from you. I have a WTB post in the classifieds.

Sorry, Rant over..

Zac, that quote was not from IOWEGAN, but from a .net moderator . . . it's a website issue, for whatever reason.

As noted above, as far as IOWEGAN is concerned anyone can buy/sell existing copies of the GUN GUIDE to each other all they want. They just cannot COPY them.

And we are talking about the GUN GUIDES here, which were actual printed & bound booklets that IOWEGAN sold for "break even" prices to cover his costs involved. They are fully copyrighted and protected works. He dropped those as explained above.

The earlier IBOKS were e-mailed versions which he pulled from distribution after running into problems with various copyright hassles, as well as other reasons. Those are beyond any control now.

Hope you can find the Guides you are looking for. Good luck.

chet15

Hawkeye
If you guys want to quote something from RENE, go ahead and do so...but please mention RENE in the process as the work that goes into that is not free. Any mention of RENE is exposure to bring more people into our hobby, therefore it is in all our interests to do what we can to further our hobby.
For myself, what I get upset about is the guy who makes thousands at other peoples efforts without so much as a letter of permission to use such stuff (Umm...R. L. Wilson comes to mind on this).
Chet15

Latest posts