Dillon 550 vs Lee Classic Turret Press

Help Support Ruger Forum:

thumbs

Single-Sixer
I have a Lee Classic Turret Press and really like the thing. How much better is the Dillon 550B than the Lee? I guess the question is how much faster. The Lee is a great little press. Can you really put out that much more per hour than the Lee? Those of you that started with the Lee would you buy a 550B again?

thanks

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Hearsay only (I'm a confirmed single stager!) from this and other forums over the years: the Dillon is probably twice as fast on average as the Lee for most users familiar w/ both. Some can up the Dillon's production rate a bit more...

So, if you could turn out 150/hr on the Lee, 300/hr should be reasonable on the Dillon and so on. Those rather high figures we see on the mfr's websites usually involve some careful planning, and operators who aren't as klutzy as I can be!

We've got lots of "Big Blue" fans here--I'm sure at least a couple of 'em have also tried the Lee in the past and can give definitive numbers?

Rick C

mattsbox99

Hunter
I believe the Dillon 550 is rated at 400-600 RPH. I have a SDB in .40 S&W and its rated for 300-500, I can do 400 with a little break.

Pistol cartridges are faster than rifle, because you don't have to lube the pistol cases. Also if you weigh every charge you won't be very fast with it.

Ball powders meter very well and don't need to be weighed each time, stick powders are much more finicky. The dillon powder measure is different than the RCBS Uniflow and Lee designs, so I don't know how they do with stick powders, ball powders are extremely consistent.

Its definitely faster than the Lee, because the Lee only works on one cartridge at a time, priming is done manually, & powder drops are a seperate operation.

Dillon does have a new machine called the BL550 that is perfect for old guys like Rick that want to do things manually but increase their speed. I'm replacing my RCBS Turret press with one.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've never tried a Lee, but I do have 3 Dillons. From the dinner table discussions with MANY gun club members, all of us felt the Dillon was vastly superior in turning out quality ammo. Faster, easier, and a lot less frustrations. I have 2 SDB's, and a 650 with the casefeed. My 650 can produce ammo faster than the advertised rate if I keep it fed & do not slow down at all. However, I comfortably, and easily run 700-800 an hour on my 650. I've never bothered to time my SDB's. Time is lost when you have to deal with minor malfunctions, or do more steps to achieve finished ammo.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Like I said I really have no complaints with my Lee Classic turret press. It runs without flaw. That being said I would like a bit faster production and less pullin on the handle. In my case I just have to justify the increased cost in buying a new press.

Cholo

Staff member
I guess I'm also an old guy who still loads everything on a single stage press. With that in mind, I'd buy a Dillon something to speed things up a bit simply because I've never heard of one person who had one that wished they'd have gotten something else.

One problem, my shack is so small that I'd have make room for it. I don't think my daughter would care for that...

mattsbox99

Hunter
Gary, you're like me, I have no specific problem doing everything single stage. Less pulls on the handle mean less wear and tear on my already sore shoulder, and less time at the press means more time at the range.

In the grand scheme of things, the Dillons really aren't that expensive. Its not like they wear out and if you decide to sell it, you pretty much get your money back.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
mattsbox99 said:
Dillon does have a new machine called the BL550 that is perfect for old guys like Rick that want to do things manually but increase their speed. I'm replacing my RCBS Turret press with one.

Hi,

:D

"There is more to life than simply increasing its speed."

--Mahatma Gandhi

Folks have been trying to convert me for YEARS! But so far I'm still happy the way I do it.

Don't give up on me, though! My '69 RCBS Jr IS getting a little loose, then I've got a like new Pacific Hornady almost identical to the one Bucks has been trying to wear out for a while. Once those are worn out, there's a like new Rock Chucker to work on. After that, maybe I'll be ready for a Dillon!

Might need the speed by then, too, cuz I'll be running out of time myself!

Rick C

mattsbox99

Hunter
Aww, don't tell me you don't want more time at the range! :D

Matt: Hey Rick, you wanna go shoot?

Rick: I can't, after I do the dishes and vacuum I gotta spend 18 hours reloading....

:D

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
mattsbox99 said:

Rick: I can't, after I do the dishes and vacuum I gotta spend 18 hours reloading....

Hi,

We've got this new thing in town, Matt... I think they call it ee-lactricitee or somethin' like that. Everybody's gettin' it!

Anyway, after it gets dark, there's this little thang on the wall you push, and it gets all light again! Makes it so's you can load after ya get home from the range, cuz'n they shut down our range when the sun goes down.

Kinda cool--got about 5000 rounds ahead right now, which is somewhere between six months' and a year's worth these days. All made after dark!

Wonder what they'll think about next? Maybe a magic box that tells stories and shows pictures while I sit and reprime brass? Ya just never know! ;)

Only problem w/ this ee-latctricitee stuff is ya gotta pay some guy to stuff it inside this little wire that comes to your house. It must be kinda hard to get it into that wire, cuz ya gotta pay him a lot to do it. So ya gotta go to work to make some money when ya coulda been out ta the range. Rats.

What's this "do the dishes and vacuum" stuff? That's NEVER been a good reason NOT to go to the range. (And they ask me why I'm single...) :D

Rick C

HardBall

Bearcat
thumbs said:
Those of you that started with the Lee would you buy a 550B again?

I've had two of Lee's original 3-hole Turret presses. I've also had two Lee-1000 presses and a slew of single stage presses. Yes I would buy a 550b again without question. Currently the only presses I own are a 550b and a Redding Boss single stage press. If I could only have one press it would be the 550b.

With the 550b you can sill load rounds "Turret style" as you do with your Lee or feed it a case between cranks of the handle and you'll spit out a round each time. What I like most about the 550b is the do-it-all versatility and the manual indexing.

contender

Ruger Guru
Another note.
I too have used single stage presses for most of the reloading in these last 35 years or so. However, when I decided to get into USPSA competition, I found that I had a better justification to increase the speed of reloading. Less time at the bench to be able to spend more time doing other things. I shoot a LOT more now, and the Dillons have helped keep me from spending a lot of time reloading. (Read that as; Time away from Miss Penny.)

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Ok I have been reading the thread about the 550b. I do have a couple of questions though.

Does the 550b have a deprime step. In other words doe it deprime and prime at the first stage? Or do you have to deprime before you start?

Is there an option that will drop cases or is it more trouble than it is worth?

HardBall

Bearcat
thumbs said:
Does the 550b have a deprime step. In other words doe it deprime and prime at the first stage? Or do you have to deprime before you start?

Yes, cases are deprimed while they're resized at station 1, just like your turret press.

Is there an option that will drop cases or is it more trouble than it is worth?

If you mean a case feeder? Yes, Dillon offers a case feeder for the 550b. I don't have one as I don't see the need for my purposes.

If you mean; does it eject cases as you manually index the shell plate? Yes, it kicks the finished round out from station 4 into a blue box that's provided with your 550b.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Rick Courtright said:
mattsbox99 said:

Hi,

We've got this new thing in town, Matt... I think they call it ee-lactricitee or somethin' like that. Everybody's gettin' it!

Anyway, after it gets dark, there's this little thang on the wall you push, and it gets all light again! Makes it so's you can load after ya get home from the range, cuz'n they shut down our range when the sun goes down.

Kinda cool--got about 5000 rounds ahead right now, which is somewhere between six months' and a year's worth these days. All made after dark!

Wonder what they'll think about next? Maybe a magic box that tells stories and shows pictures while I sit and reprime brass? Ya just never know! ;)

Only problem w/ this ee-latctricitee stuff is ya gotta pay some guy to stuff it inside this little wire that comes to your house. It must be kinda hard to get it into that wire, cuz ya gotta pay him a lot to do it. So ya gotta go to work to make some money when ya coulda been out ta the range. Rats.

What's this "do the dishes and vacuum" stuff? That's NEVER been a good reason NOT to go to the range. (And they ask me why I'm single...) :D

Rick C

They keep talking about that stuff here...

I try to save the bulk of my reloading for winter time, because ice fishing is not my idea of a good time.

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
I have both. I had a Lee Turret for a year and a half, then bought a Dillon 550.

The Dillon is MUCH faster. And, I'm "fiddling" with it less than I did with the Lee. That was my biggest complaint with the Lee, it always seemed like something needed to be tweaked just a bit to get it to run smoothly. Then, once I got it running smoothly, the next time I loaded on it something else needed tweaking.

In my opinion, the thing that keeps the Dillon 550 from being faster than it is is having to take your hand off the handle to load a case. I've refined my movements so they are the most efficient possible, but you still have to take a hand off the handle. A case feeder would dramatically increase the rounds per hour, in my opinion. Is the cost of the case feeder justified? Don't know, haven't tried one.

I would definitely recommend buying a Dillon 550. The higher cost will quickly be forgotten as you see a full plastic bin of ammo after only a half hour of loading. It will be one of the best reloading purchases you make.

contender

Ruger Guru
The answers are above. However, the great part about Dillon machines is that with each pull of the handle, several operations get done at one time. You start with empty brass on one side, and loaded ammo gets kicked out the other side. Depending upon the model, some machines auto index, (the 550 doesn't). Then there is the casefeed, available for some but not for others, (the SDB doesn't have one.) All dies are mounted on the toolhead, and all operations get done at the same time.
To step back into time, I'll relate my experiences.
I was a hard & fast dedicated longtime single-stage press reloader. Yet, I was intrigued by Dillon. I studied, and studied, but while I felt they were good machines, I was a bit intimidated by them. (Sceptical of quality ammo.) Well, it finally took my need for less time getting enough ammo to shoot as much as I wanted to make me get serious. I studied hard again, and for my purposes, I chose the 650 with the casefeed assy. After I got it, I was very careful & watched my loading closely. I soon found out I had been a hardhead, in that I should have bought my Dillon YEARS before I actually did. I now own 2 SDB's to go along with my 650. (Both of those came to me cheaply, and made me VERY happy. While the SDB isn't the same as the 650, I do love their work as well.
You just can not go wrong with a Dillon.

Tellico

Buckeye
mattsbox99 said:
Rick Courtright said:
mattsbox99 said:

Hi,

Rick C

They keep talking about that stuff here...

I try to save the bulk of my reloading for winter time, because ice fishing is not my idea of a good time.

Yall fancy folks probably gonna want your water delivered inside you house next huh? I still use my Rock Chucker but then I am only 3000 rds ahead.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Tellico said:
Yall fancy folks probably gonna want your water delivered inside you house next huh?

Hi,

Wow... they can do that? :D

Be sure to turn the clocks back tonight, too!

I'm off ta the hardware store for more kerosene for my lanterns. That ee-lactricitee stuff's great when it works, but it rained yesterday, so it's probably gonna go out again soon. I guess them wires must leak it out when they're wet.

Don't want to have to quit loading just cuz it's dark... gotta be careful to keep those lanterns a little ways from your powder, though. If'n ya don't, it gets right excitin', and quick, too!

(Mandatory disclaimer: kids, don't try this at home!)

Rick C