RUGER GUNSITE SCOUT ACCURACY

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jsfreelance375

Bearcat
I'm brand new to the forum and if I can figure out how to attach a photo, I can answer the question of accuracy right now.

I just took delivery of my new Ruger GSR and set it up with a Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x scope with an amber triangle reticle in a Larue Tactical throw lever mount that I reversed to bring the eye relief to the proper distance. The fact is I just shoot better with a regular scope than a scout scope.

After having read several reports of what I consider rather mediocre accuracy (tactical-size clusters fired at carbine course distances) I was expecting something in the minute-of-whitetail range, so I was pleasantly surprised when my zeroing group from a makeshift rest over the fender of my Jeep measured under 3/4" for three shots using Hornady 168gr BTHPs.

The trigger is light and quite crisp--so much so that I decided to forego installing an after-market trigger and stay with what came from the factory--and that certainly helps.

I have no doubt that the rifle is capable of better with proper break-in and a higher magnification scope, but who cares? In a SHTF scenario I think you'd grab your favorite and go. Right now this is it for me.

The only negatives are the expense of mags (Ruger must be making a bundle selling hunters the 5-round mags they used to supply with the rifle) and the action is stiff and rough, but it's getting smoother with use. An anti-bind guide on the bolt would help.

http://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/jsfreelance375/

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Having bought my 1st Ruger ages ago and a like for No1s and Minis "how's it shoot?" is always an issue with me and Ruger rifles. I'll admit it may be unwarranted now, but it's always nice to hear good news about a Ruger rifle I'm thinking of buying.

jsfreelance375

Bearcat
I've had several early NO. 1s in .243, .270, .45-70 - all were extremely accurate. The .243 became my crow rifle for awhile. A couple of years later (mid-late '70s) a friend bought one in .7mm Mag that wouldn't group under 4 inches. My oldest brother had a Model 77 in .338 that shot cloverleafs, but the recoil would knock you out from under your hat because the rifle was built for .30-06 recoil levels in terms of weight. These days I expect decent accuracy from a Ruger rifle in any caliber, I just didn't expect as good as I got.

tateb24

Bearcat
I watched someone shoot one of these at the range with a AAC .308 can, very quiet. I think this gun would make a great ATV hog hunting rifle. I want one and will get one very soon.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
The gun can be set up for a standard scope if you wish to defeat the "scout" concept. You must remove the rear sight to place the rear ring.
If you have the cash try a Leopold IRB scope made for scouts with a less complicated reticle.
IMHO a simple tube that is a little forgiving on parallax[ using good cheek weld] is the way to go. You did right. The quick off mount is a plus.

Just a bit of prying on my part. Where did you co witness your iron sights? Again; JMHO, by your word you are an experienced hi-power rifle shooter. As you know the theory behind this type of rifle is that it for use by experienced riflemen who [may be in the field for extended periods] hunting and find the need to defend* himself. Mostly it is for the skilled at seeing and not being seen.

I agree with you about the mags. I'd put a Vortex break on the barrel and surf ScoutRifles.org.

*Infantry, Intelligence,Long Range Patrol.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
I slept on it so I thought I'd pry some more and write an open letter.
I missed the picture part of your post the first time around. I based my comments on your text. Man there is more moisture in that photo than my well!
I take back the co witness thing above.
Truth is I have been shopping for this type of rifle for a long time. No factory type surpassed the 30-30 I was using for utility. When Ashley sold the company and the rails showed up I thought I had taken my last step. Then Hornady did Leverevolution for those special occasions. We can banter about bullets, terminal velocity and the rest yet the lever gun was getting the job done. However I want a .308 bolty.
I was looking hard on the Savage 10FCM with all of its flaws over the Rem 700 ADL when the Ruger hit the market, as you know it hit the fan.
At the gun shop there were half a dozen GSR's. It seemed there was always a crowd around someone holding one. Then it was passed about. Grey haired men grinned as if given back their youth after handling the weapon. Strange:
My first impression was to take my orbital sander to the stock. The stock is great. It looks like it would take an M-1 butt plate and be drilled for cleaning equipment. It is hard to believe the Ruger is about the same overall size of a SMLE NO 4 MK 5 Jungle Carbine. I have seen the photos.
I have been on the receiving end of Ruger's factory only policy more than once. Frankly I'm not easy a bolt being proprietary in, what is essentially, a Mauser system. As you no doubt remember the last time that happened was when the U.S. Springfield Armory lightened the Mauser bolt when they produced the Springfield Rife. Hopping for quicker lock times and smoother bolt travel the resultant spaces moisture collected. In the cold the moisture would distort the firing pin causing a malfunction.
So.
For a defined General Purpose Rifle. One that mission was to stay in the field as long as possible with the rifleman as repair guy. The 700 ADL gave the greatest number of after market goodies yet is a depot level repair or carry a spare bolt.
The Savage 10FCM is a contender. The factory could have dominated the scout rifle market after a false start yet they stopped half way. The up grades would have cost pennies to the final product. Certainly less,in proportion, to what they are loosing in sales to Ruger.

The GSR will go all the way for Ruger. I hope Savage wakes up and makes the changes to the stock, a better magazine and they rethink the sights. Ruger could put a in stock five shot mag holder too. The 700 ends up being a conversion or custom rifle.

I attempted to relate last night, rather crudely, the sight picture is not an either or proposition. If the scope is low mounted I use both irons and the low magnification. Both eyes open working the trigger on target. Levering and swing to the next knowing where I'm going. It is to bad the SMLE NO 4 MK 5 is not in modern production with well a thought out design. Best. Calthrop

JackOfTraDeZ

Bearcat
I just got mine, paid 7 bills and change. It was hard finding - most gun stores around here didn't have them. I am still breaking it in, using the iron sites.

Accuracy seems mediocre to good - I don't think this is supposed to be a MOA tack driver, especially with 16 inch barrel. From bench, about 2 inch groups at 100 yard. I'll get a scope later if I can find one with the correct relief, maybe accuracy will be better.

Action is a little rough, but very similar to Mauser, which I am very familiar with. Trigger is excellent - lite pull and snappy crisp, little travel.

308 ammo varies all over the place! Hornady match is very accurate but weak. The best I found is the NATO standard 147 gr, it comes in military pouches of 200 rounds and is very hot - clocking 2650-2700, and also quite accurate.

In addition, the rifle is beautiful! Nice blue-black metal, nice dark stock, very aesthetic.

But is it as RUGGED as the military rifles (Mauser, Mosin-Nagant, etc) in the field, like when the SHTF scenario? I am a major Ruger fan and have come to trust Ruger guns, which I have a lot. Maybe I (we all) will find out soon.....

Now I got to try some handloading for this sweetie ......

FEAR GOD, NOTHING ELSE

rangerbob

Buckeye
I've had my GSR since June. The bolt has smoothed up a little, with a lot of operating. I also mounted my 1x4 Bushnell using a Yankee Hill extension base mounted in reverse and was able to keep my rear sight. I can see my front sight through the rear sight as well since the YH base is milled out underneath. I have no trouble engaging an 8 inch steel gong at 300 yards with this set up. I haven't seen any 5 round Ruger mags to buy. I wish they had went the M-14 mags since they come in 5, 10,15,20, and 25 round choices. Bob!! 8)

jsfreelance375

Bearcat
Calthrop -

I'm with you, pal. I think the stock on the GSR could lose a bit of weight. (I know this sounds idiotic from a guy who added a pound of optics.) I was thinking about drilling out the butt and switching to a Pachmayr Decellerator Slip-on pad which will give me access to the storage compartment, but now that you mention it a steel trapdoor plate would be a dandy way to go. .308 recoil isn't enough to bother anyone who uses this rifle for what it was intended for - it's the one you grab and go, not a battle rifle you use to stand and fight. I may also shorten the forearm back to the step in the barrel.

The LaRue mount for the Trijicon Accupoint was an expedient. Hunting season was coming up fast and I needed to get the rifle set up in a hurry, so I used what was on hand. As for cheekweld, it's more like "chinweld", and forget co-witness. I zero for max PBR rather than dink around with dials, irons and scope set for 200 yards, which is good for anything I'd shoot. I shoot a standard scope better than a scout scope, though I do have one on my Co-Pilot. I have an XS SIGHTS full length rib coming, and will likely switch to a Leupold Ultralight 2.5x with a heavy duplex reticle. A Vortex flashhider is on the way.

I'm trying to figure out how to route out a holder for a five round mag in the bottom of the butt. Barring that, I may go with a Brockman's Cartridge Trap.

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
Just bought one of these. I had a burris scout scope in the bin from my Savage FCM scout. Still need to get decent rings for it. I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet. I've already ordered a 5 rounder and an Alpha Type 2 mag for it.

Has anybody tried the Safari Ching Sling? Curious what others think about it. I'm going to try and make one.

My other question is has anybody worked up loads for the 16" bbl and chronographed the results?

JustsayMo

Single-Sixer
Ditmo said:
My other question is has anybody worked up loads for the 16" bbl and chronographed the results?

I chronograph all the loads I run though my guns. Full power loads for 165 grain run between 2500-2600 fps using published MAX (always work up incrementally) charges. IMR 3031 has given me the highest velocities. IMR 4064, 4895, Varget have all topped 2500 fps with the 165 grain bullet. Powders like IMR 4350 weren't able to top 2500 in the GSR. That velocity range (2500-2600) seems to be a sweet spot accuracy wise too with that bullet weight.

I'm not sure if they are members on this forum but Buchannon and Curley have had some excellent results with IMR 4895 at about a half grain under Max with 150 grain Jacketed bullets. Sub MOA, with velocities approaching 2800 fps. Buchannon (sp?) is competing with his in silhouette matches and doing well especially on the 500 yard rams.

I've done dozens of loads, mostly cast bullets, 47 grains on up to 220 grains. The GSR seems to shoot everything well.