Found nice 9 1/2 in. single six at gun show.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

satch

Bearcat
Went to a gun show this weekend and was just roaming around before going to work at our local gun clubs table when I spot a Ruger .22 single six 9 1/2 in. barrel. The cylinders didn't have any wear rings around them and no scrathes or wear anyplace on the bluing. This gun would have to be rated as almost new. I asked the guy at the table about it and he said his son bought it a year ago and now needed money so he was trying to sell it.It came in the plastic case used today and also had a key for manual internal locking so it's not very old. We talked about price and I bought it for $420.00,not bad I think.
I took it to the range today a sighted it in and shot a box of .22mags and the control with that 9 1/2 in. barrel was great. I guess you can find deals at gun shows,but you got to take your time because I seen several SS's there that looked worn out and they were asking more than what I paid for this one.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Nice goin'! Sometimes the 9 1/2" can be found at a deal like yours, the market demand for them is less than standard lengths. But then again, those who really want one will pay dearly for such a nice one as yours.

The point-ability of the looong barrels is hard to describe to someone who hasn't tried one. I remember my 1st experience and how impressed I was. They practically telegraph where they are pointing back to your brain. Hip shooting is a blast with them.

Enjoy!!

Desertdog

Bearcat
I have had one for about 6 years now....love it....and shooting the .22 mags out of it is a real blast....

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
Plus 1 on all the good things the above posters have said. The truth is the long barrel makes this shooter into a simply superb all around tool.

January last I spent a day chronographing a BUNCH of 22 rim fires for comparison. FWIW here's what I found out:

22ChronoTests003.jpg

You have made an excellent choice. ENJOY!

mran1126

Bearcat
I've had a 3 screw single-six with a 9 1/2 inch barrel since 1965 when I was 18. Still shooting it. I call it " my little rifle " . They are very accurate and you will love shooting it.

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
Old Judge Creek said:
Plus 1 on all the good things the above posters have said. The truth is the long barrel makes this shooter into a simply superb all around tool.

January last I spent a day chronographing a BUNCH of 22 rim fires for comparison. FWIW here's what I found out:

22ChronoTests003.jpg

You have made an excellent choice. ENJOY!

Hi Judge.

I just bought (Hasn't even been delivered) a 5 1/2" Single Six. I looked at your chart and saw the 5 1/2" had a small but positive ranking ahead of the 6 1/2". I was surprised as I thought it would at least be the exact opposite, if not more.

flatgate

Hawkeye
357573210.jpg

.32 mag's. One 9-1/2" and one shorty, the 6-1/2".

132835047.jpg

"3 Screw" OM RSS9. A favorite!

132835046.jpg

Scarce, .22 LR only "KS-9" stainless New Model. It shoots GREAT!

flatgate

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
BeagleDog said:
Hi Judge.

I just bought (Hasn't even been delivered) a 5 1/2" Single Six. I looked at your chart and saw the 5 1/2" had a small but positive ranking ahead of the 6 1/2". I was surprised as I thought it would at least be the exact opposite, if not more.

Look again, pard, I think you're misreading the results.

I listed them from slowest velocity to the fastest using the same ammo. To me, the big surprise was that the 4" Bearcat outperformed my 5.5" Single Six. But don't read too much into that. The dynamics are completely for even identical guns. And besides, 100fps one way or another isn't really all that much. Consistent velocities from shot to shot to shot are far more important, IMO.

All my test did was provide a "ballpark" picture, albeit one in which the long tube on the Single Six performed far beyond expectations! (again, IMO)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Old Judge Creek said:
BeagleDog said:
Hi Judge.

Look again, pard, I think you're misreading the results.

I listed them from slowest velocity to the fastest using the same ammo. To me, the big surprise was that the 4" Bearcat outperformed my 5.5" Single Six. But don't read too much into that. The dynamics are completely for even identical guns. And besides, 100fps one way or another isn't really all that much. Consistent velocities from shot to shot to shot are far more important, IMO.

All my test did was provide a "ballpark" picture, albeit one in which the long tube on the Single Six performed far beyond expectations! (again, IMO)

No other way to read it except just like Beagledog. Maybe you transposed some figures because both Velocity and ME are out of order for those two barrel lengths.

Latest posts