Blackhorn 209?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
Last months Handloader magazine had an article about Blackhorn 209 for cartridges and the review was fairly positive so I decided to give it a whirl. I was more than impressed with the results with the .45 Colt and have since tried it in other pistol calibers and also several rifle calibers. I think its main virtue is its extremely low standard deviation which in many cases is in the single digits according to their data. Most of the velocities are in the midrange and just all around good loads. It seems to stain the brass and is fairly expensive but I highly recommend trying it.

Check out their Load Data. Its actually pretty versatile.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/load-data/

CW4USARET

Bearcat
twobisquit

I have used Blackhorn 209 in my Shilo Sharps .45/70 and found the velocities to be consistent within 10 to 15 fps or so over my chronograph. I am using 31 grains of the 209 with a paper wad under a 433 grain cast bullet which produces roughly 1200 fps. It is a pleasant load to shoot and doesn't beat you up with the recoil and yes it does stain the brass and I am working on that. I have also used the 209 in my Ruger .45 Colt with great results.

jrf

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
I 've used the 38 g load and wad with the 405's and figure I get about 1400fps from their Data. My .357s, .44s and .45s all get cloverleafs at 50 feet. I think this will be a top powder when word gets out. With the pistols there is only one load so it is either good or bad

Rclark

Hunter
Finally got out with 25 .45 Colt rounds of 22.2g Blackhorn 209 under 255g SWC today. Seems plenty accurate. One thing I noticed is after 25 rounds my revolver isn't very 'grimy' like 777 or Pyrodex! 8) .... So cleaner... The barrel really heats up and I notice a curious phizzz or sizzle after the boom.... Like still burning a bit in the barrel. 777 doesn't do that nor Pyrodex. Doesn't smell to bad.... kind of like it. Cleanup is a breeze with Hoppes #9 just like smokeless. Now need to load up another bunch and get the chrono out. The kick feels light compared to a full load of 777....

[added Monday 9/5/11]

22.2g Blackhorn 209 Chrono Results from today :

Avg 813fps, Std 27, Spread 93 (15 shots)

Rclark

Hunter
Adding note.... Definitely not as grimy. I shot a full 50 rounds tonight and the gun was still in perfect running condition. Just before this I had shot 40 rounds of smokeless (4227) loads. Cylinder still was rotating freely and barrel looked more than serviceable for more shots. Definitely going to keep a can of this powder on hand.