Super Redhawk 44 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stumps13

Single-Sixer
My local dealer has 2 Super Redhawks in 44 Mag. 1 is with a 7 1/2 barrel (used) and the other is new with a 9" barrel. The asking price is $575.00 and $695.00 respectively. Is this a good price on either and what would your choice e?
TNX
Stumps13

Flash

Buckeye
Mine is a 7 1/2" barrel and it seems to do everything I ask of it. I can't imagine why I would need another 1 1/2" to make it more muzzle heavy.
I personally feel that $575 is too high but that's just me. I would offer $500 and no more. Going below that, by even a dollar will emphasize that "Four" and that doesn't sound as good as a Five to the seller.

JSam

Bearcat
$500 in my area is still high.
I'm looking at a 7 1/2 inch stainless super tonight. The guy is asking $375. He was asking $400 and didn't get any interest.
If its in good shape, I'll pick it up. Then I'll trade it for one in blue.

Stan in SC

Bearcat
$575 is not too high.Compare to prices on the auction sites such as Gunbroker.I sure as hell wouldn't take $575 for my 7-1/2" one.

Stan in SC

JSam

Bearcat
Yeah... Look at the prices on GB and notice none of them sell unless they're priced under $500.

Just because one guy won't take $575 for his doesn't mean there aren't a lot of them out there for a LOT less.

rh44mag

Bearcat
I have a srh 44 9 1/2 and a srh 454 7 1/2. I bought the 44 new 12 years ago for $425 and the 454 used 4 years ago used for $450. I will say the 7 1/2 make for an easier carry and draw. And as flash stated I don't know that the xtra 2" will really make that much difference in real world hunting. As far a value today I just got the most recent cabelas flyer a couple days ago and they have them on "sale" for 799 regularly 899. I know cabelas always seem high so I checked bud gun who i generally has good prices and they are 722 for a new SRH. I absolutely love my rugers you cant go wrong with either srh.

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
Are you looking to hunt with the gun? Do you need even a 7.5 inch barrel?

If not, an Alaskan is MUCH easier to carry, more fun to shoot recreationally, and just plain cooler. IMHO, of course.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

A lot seems to depend on the area...

For example, in my neighborhood, "street price" for new guns usually runs about 75%-80% of MSRP, and a "good" used piece will generally have a price tag asking about 50% of MSRP (dealer price: private parties are all over the board.)

Don't know what current price for the SRH is, but my regular RH fit the model above, as have at least a handful of other used guns friends have bought so you can plug your own numbers into the calculator.

We don't see as many "low" prices here in my part of SoCal as some of you guys can find in less restrictive markets...

Rick C

Stumps,
Does the used one have rings and box with it. If so, this is a pretty good price. I see most go for $550-$600. If it is bare gun that might be a bit high.

JSam,
Are you talking about a Super Redhawk or Blackhawk? That price is more in line with the SBH, plus they dont make a blued SRH.

JSam

Bearcat
My apologies everyone.
I HAVE been talking about the super blackhawk.
Need to pay better attention. :oops:

tookalisten

Blackhawk
There is one for sale local to me 4.2" stainless, great condition - asking $525 - I've been debating it.

Stumps13

Single-Sixer
I am thinking of hunting with the gun. Currently I use either a T/C 44 mag or a Ruger Super Blackhawk 41 mag. I am leaning toward the 7 1/2 " for various reasons. Both the used and the new of course have the rings. I would use the weaver scope that I have on the T/C. Thanks for the input guys.
Stumps

H-marlin

Bearcat
I have access to wholesale prices for firearms and I have found that used guns in top condition go for about what the wholesale price for a new firearm is. This conclusion comes from comparing prices in gun shops as I travel, gunbroker, Blue Book, etc to my wholesalers. Wholesale prices are in the $655 range for Super Redhawks. Based on this I would say that either price is on the good side of reasonable.

I have owned a SRH with the 9" barrel for a number of years now and have not seen any disadvantage to the longer barrel. So I would say these are good prices if you want an excellent hunting revolver, of course there is usually room to bargain. Buy the shorter barrel if you want to save some money, the longer one if buying new is important to you. I don't think that you can go wrong w/ either.