ENGRAVED 45- 18404 RUGER BLACKHAWK CASED

Help Support Ruger Forum:

T-DAWG

Bearcat
LOOKING TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT WHO ENGRAVED RUGER BLACKHAWK AND IF ANY ONE HAS EVER SEEN ONE LIKE MINE I KNOW IT IS FROM 1972 ACCORDING TO RUGER RECORDS. I BOUGHT IT ABOUT 15YRS AGO FROM A COLLECTOR WHO OWNED GUN TRADERS IN RINGOLD GA. IT WAS ONE OF HIS OWN GUNS IN HIS OFFICE. ANY INFO TO ITS WORTH AND WHO IT MAY HAVE BEEN ENGRAVED BY PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANKS T. https://picasaweb.google.com/109484654861803407458/TSRUGERBLACKHAWK?authuser=0&feat=directlink

G2

Hunter
Looks like a nice Engraved BLURRY Shooter. Ruger didn't make 45/45acp's back in 59 and I would concur with the above that it is probably from "72". To confirm it,,, post most or all of the sn#.
I call it a shooter because the sight looks like the edges are rubbed a little.
Well a OM 45 convertable in shooter condition is ~$750 and then what ever one would think the engraving is worth to a Cowboy that wants a gun thats all scratched up in a pretty way. :wink:
You probably have no idea who did the engraving?

Better Pictures would definitely help to see what the condition really is, the Blurry pictures are no help and the harsh flash wipes out details.

Welcome to the forum.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I cannot see your images with out getting "up close and personal" with Google.

Forget that!

Forgoing any images, your data, as already commented on by R.F. Members, just doesn't "jive" with history.

The first thing you should do is ASK RUGER if they have ANY sort of records on the revolver's history. IMHO, chances are slim and/or next to zero.

Ah, but, a nicely engraved firearm, no matter what the history, still has value.

45520163.jpg

"Factory Engraved" Ruger Single-Six. Value? Close to $6,000.

JMHO,

flatgate

T-DAWG

Bearcat
T-DAWG TOOK MY RUGER BACK TO WHERE I ORIGINALLY BOUGHT IT AT GUN TRADERS IN RINGOLD GA. THE EX WIFE OF OWNER LOOKED IT UP AND CONCLUDED BY THE SERIAL # 45- 18404 THAT THE GUN IS A CONTOURED GATE MODEL INTRODUCED 1957. IF SHE IS CORRECT A BOXED ENGRAVED MODEL WILL BRING A MINT $6,000.00 AND UP. SHE DID SAY I NEEDED TO GET A LETTER FROM RUGER ON GUN. I'M STILL NOT SURE CAN ANYONE FIND A GUN LIKE MINE ENGRAVED AS MINE IS. SHE SAID IT WAS A FACTORY ENGRAVED RUGER. THANKS T. CHECK OUT NEW PHOTO'S https://picasaweb.google.com/109484654861803407458/TSRUGERBLACKHAWK?authuser=0&feat=directlink

princeout

Blackhawk
T-D,
Looking at your pictures, it shows the serial number for a .45 Colt Blackhawk from 1972. You can check this on Ruger's website,

http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-Bhawk45.html

Ruger first made a 45 Colt chambered Blackhawk in 1971.

I think the term "contoured gate" would apply to the Single Six model, in .22 caliber, which originally had a "flat gate" then later, in 1957 or so, changed to a rounded loading gate.

Factory engraved Single Sixes did exist - about 260 of them in the same time frame - 1956 to 1957 - but Ruger had still not manufactured any .45 Blackhawks at that time. These factory engraved Single Sixes are quite valuable, similar to the dollar amounts your gun dealer is quoting.

There are lots of folks on this website that can help identify your gun. You could also try the Ruger Collectors Association for help.

Also, give Ruger Customer Service a call and they will tell you the month and year your gun was shipped to clarify further.

Good luck - nice looking gun!
Tim

T-DAWG

Bearcat
Thanks for your help and site i found out the gun was shipped in may of 1972 and that it was a cased 45 long & 45sp not factory engraved. Still want to find out engraver and value of a gun like mine without engraving. If anyone has more info on this gun please let me know. Thanks T-DAWG.

flatgate

Hawkeye
43971946.jpg

7-1/2" "Old Model" .45 cal. Blackhawks

43971939.jpg

4-5/8" "Old Model" .45 cal. Blackhawks

All with original boxes. The only "cased" OM Rugers were the early, engraved .22 LR cal. Single-Sixes.....

130391318.jpg

and the Mahogany Cased early "Old Model" .44 magnum Super Blackhawks.

292332466.jpg

Value of your OM .45 sans engraving? $650-$800, give or take a few bucks.

JMHO,

flatgate

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Have you looked under the grips for an engraver's signature?

There are 1000s of "after factory" engravers out there. If you google gun engraving you may find the engraver by finding one that offers a matching pattern to yours. But it could have been done almost 40 years ago and the engraver might be long gone. If the innards come out of the case, you may find a receipt.

T-DAWG

Bearcat
Thanks Jim, You were right the engravers signature was under handle. I'm trying to find out who he is and find some of his work. marked on the frame of my ruger blackhawk was XR3-RED and on handles 61 CONVERTIBLE SINGLE SIX RX3 RED FRAME 357 MAGNUM. Do the markings show the frame is from the 61 357 magnum 3 screw frame that was used to make the 45 convertible in 1972. SEE PHOTO'S BELOW.

T-DAWG

Bearcat
https://picasaweb.google.com/109484654861803407458/RUGERBLACKHAWK?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCM-Fj56om4CNWg&feat=directlink

Beaver Creek

Single-Sixer
The grips are made by Jay Scott. Grip style 61 fit all XR3Red Ruger frames. The laminate backing was typical for JS. To my knowledge they never installed medallions in their grips so someone played with them later. Good luck finding the engraver.

G2

Hunter
T-DAWG,

The Grips are from Jay Scott, The "61" was the model # and even though they will fit any XR3-RED the more common gun was the .357 Blackhawk. The Grips are nothing all that special just a decent after-market set of grips.

What is the name that is scratched in the GF? I'm no expert here but it does look to be a Spanish/Mexican style engraving.

Were getting closer here to figuring out who did it.

The Gun appears to have been left in the white, and Rusted a little??
Was it re-blued over the engraving or is it still "in the white"

You have certinly brought an interesting piece to the forum.

T-DAWG

Bearcat
The gun has never had any rust at all on it years ago i took a jewelry cleaning cloth and polished it. The gun looked more stainless around the cylinders. The gun has been kept in nice gun safe for the past 15yrs and before i got it Ronnie the owner of gun traders in ringold ga. kept it in his climate controlled show room.

T-DAWG

Bearcat
Ruger was shipped in may 1972 to distributor with extra cylinder the box it is in now is not how it was shipped, This box has ammo included and changes have been made to gun along with engraving. Etched in frame under handle looks like to me the name "TOM E RAYMO" 1974. Could it be a dealer bought this gun and others and had them customised to sell? I'm not a expert or a collector i just want to find out all about this gun. Any info on Ruger is appreciated thanks T-DAWG.

Latest posts